3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cold weather?  (Read 328 times)

Offline Meister

• Trad Bowhunter
Cold weather?
« on: December 07, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
Guys, im about done with being cold.. I want the best set up.. Im having a hard time finding what I want.. I want something that is versatile that is water proof and wind proof, yet maybe something with a liner so that I can wear it when its not in the 20s.. I LOVE hunting when its freezing cold, I love hunting in the snow.. I also love hunting in a light rain in the early season, if you get what im saying.. What would be the one set of cloths you would have for all seasons?? Ive been looking at Gray Wolf, Predator, and Sitka.. What other good companys am I missing? If I were to choose Gray Wolf or Predator, what camo do you think would work the best year round for me here in Ohio? Im not in a BIG hurry as $$ is tight around here, but I WILL have new cloths either towards the end of this season, or by the begining of next season.. Help me out fellas.. Feel free to post pics and places to purchase these items at the lowest price! Thanks ahead of time guys!

Oh yeah.. What boots? Ive got 1000gram Irish Setter buck stalkers right now, and my feet still freeze, even with quality socks.. Sometimes I wear my Rocky buck trackers which are 400gr and I stay just as warm, what gives? Which are the warmest muck boots? How about Alpha burlys, which gram do you recommend? I have my rockys for early season, so thats no big deal..

Sorry, I know this has been covered a few times around here, but I wanted to run my own explination of what I wanted by everyone and see what advice I can come up with.. Thanks again!

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cold weather?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
My wife just got me some Rivers West. I have been out and in my stand an hour before sunrise and stay most of the day if not all day.Only wear rocky long johns under them. Wigwam socks with my rocky boots 800 grams thinsulate. If my toes get cold I put toe warmers in my boots. I stay plenty warm. Hope this helps.
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
I got 800 grain Irish Setters and my Rocky snake boots with no insulation keep me just as warm. Somethings wrong with that.
I purchased some ECWCS longjohns that are military specs and they are great for a base layer.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
For some reason, I have been getting colder then normal this season. I have been trying many different combinaitions for warmth. Finally...I have found something that works.
Top layers:
1st layer > Sitka core shirt
2nd layer > Ulfrotte 400gram sweater
3rd layer > Sitka Traverse shirt
4th layer > Cabelas Berber fleece windproof vest.
5th layer > Dayone Insulated Windproof fleeece coat.
Sounds like alot, but not bulky at all.
Bottom layer:
1st layer > silk longjohns
2nd layer > Old pair of Orvis fleece longjohns
3rd layer > Cabelas wooltimate windproof pants.
800gram Danners or if its real cold White's Elk Guide pack boots.
Fleece skull cap under Sitka Celcius hat.
If windy a silk scarf around my neck.
Hope this is helpful.

chris <><

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
I'm on so much medication after my heart and stroke problems that I can't take the cold anymore.  Hunting is becoming more work than fun. By the time I get all of my layers on ,I don't feel safe in a tree anymore. Going to try ground hunting a little and see if that helps. Hate to quit altgetherbut it getting to that point.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
I'll be surprised to learn there's such a thing as a good set of clothes for all Ohio seasons.  I'll assume you mean all Ohio deer season weather, but even at that, you are talking about swings from 80+ down to what -10 or -20?  Add to that rain, snow, bright sunshine...

That's a pretty tall order.

My setup (not too far south of you) is as many wool layers as needed for the day in question.  Rain means I also take a poncho (if I even go out in it).

That isn't terribly helpful I guess, but if the Holy Grail of hunting duds exists, I'm not yet aware of it.

For wool stuff - do yourself (and your wallet) a favor and check out Ron L's longhunter shirts.  I have the heavy one and absolutely love it.  Yesterday morning, I had time to do a bit of still hunting (windy, 20s, spitting snow) and was perfectly comfy with a thin polypro undershirt under a flannel shirt under my longhunter.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
Felt pac boots only way to go get a good hat dress in layers  and you will be warm
Gord

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
I've got a set of Day One insulated fleece bibs w/ windstopper and they are nice. My feet get cold very easy as well. This year I bought a set of LaCross 1500 gram boots and my feet are doing real well this year. It also helps that my bibs are pretty long and they cover up my entire boot, except for the toes, right down to the foam pad that I stand on in my treestand. Next year I will be getting Day Ones non-insulated parka also w/ the windstop. Quality stuff.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
Heater body suit...  You stay warm or your money back. I can sit all day at zero in mine.

http://www.heaterbodysuit.com/
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
My Rivers West is wind proof and water proof and warm. So far I haven't had to layer very much
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
Bibs are critical when it gets really cold, as is an insulated or down vest. The combo helps keep you core warm without bulking up your arms and shoulders.
BD

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
I have been told by some of my hunting buddys that I am crazy to spend so much money on wool hunting clothes.....but I am able to stay warm without too much bulk. I layer underneath my hunting clothes, here are a couple of examples-
Temps 55 down to 40 degrees
1. light weight silk long underwear top/bottom
2. lightweight wool socks
3. gray wolf woolens wolfskin pants/pullover shirt and facemask
Temps 40 down to 30 degrees
1. midweight merino wool long underwear top and bottom
2. midweight wool socks
3. same gray wolf wolfskin
4. If it is windy and/or wet, I switch to Gray Wolf woolens wool instead of the wolfskin. May have to drop back down to the silk instead of the wool long underwear....I also have a lined wolfskin vest that I can throw on depending on under the shirt if I need too.....just had to experiment a bit.
Temps below 30 degrees I switch to the wool underwear under the Gray Wolf wool. As the humidity and temps dictate, I layer the long underwear and go to a heavier wool sock. Using this method, I can stay warm without the bulk and if I am hunting all day, I can shed underlayers and stow them away in my daypack. The underwear stows away a bunch easier and takes less space that shirts/jackets and such. My feet do get cold, partially from numerous surgeries and the screw and pins that are in them. I have not tried the "bunny boots", but I have heard they work great. This season, I have used the chemical heat packs designed for your feet and they do quite well. They have adhesive on one side and stick to the botton of your sock. I wear Muck boots a size bigger than my work boots to allow for air circulation and have experienced no discomfort walking to and from my stands or still hunting with the heat packs on my socks. Hunted this month with temps in the teens and widnchills below zero. I went with fleece longjohns under the merino wool then put the Gray Wolf wool over that. Pretty comfy overall. I do keep a fleece face mask in the daypack and when it is realy windy/cold I pull it on over the wolfskin one. I am sure there are alot of other ways to stay warm, but this is what works for me.  Another tip is to carry your heavy outer clothing to the stand and finsih dressing after you cool out a bit from the walk. No matter how cold it is, you will sweat on the walk into the stand. Good Luck! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »
I have almost the exact same outfits as Mike!  Gray Wolf's Wolfskin is great stuff for milder temps, and the wool really feels great when this get chilly.  Layering is the key, and like Mike said, carry clothing to the stand and dress when you get there.

Are your Irish Setter boots a little snug?  Good circulation is important for the feet.

As for the best year round camo pattern, I like the Predator brown the best.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 12:08:00 AM »
I don't know if I can qualify for cold weather huntin, -5 this morning and it will get colder.

What I have found over the years that helps the most, is for me to keep my kidney area warm. Usta be that I would have my bride sew little pockets in a sweat shirt in the kidney area, then I'd slip them old fuel style hand warmers in them. Now if you can find them they make a kidney belt that take them chemical warmer packages. Couple that with a hand muff light gloves and hand warmers yer good to go.

Offline Meister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 12:32:00 AM »
Thanks for the input guys! I will continue my search for what will work best and meets the criteria ive listed.. Anymore input is welcome.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
Nothing beats the Carol Davis Sportswear "Body suit"
 We have been wearing them for a few years and they are tops.
 I did a review on them also , it is under the trad review pages at  www.peteward.com
 The company site is  https://www.cdsportswear.com/
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
I tried a little experiment this year.  I cut up some old sweat pants, put hand warmers over my toes and wrapped with the sweat pants and then tied up with an old shoelace.  I don't like wearing the big heavy boots and this method kept my feet toasty warm just wearing hikers.
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
Some Info I posted last year That is appropriate.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=051505#000000
I "TTT" it.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
I hunt a bunch from treestands. When it's cold and your trying to stay motionless, it can be a bit challenging at times. I remember one time on stand, my feet where so cold (HOW COLD WERE THEY....?), I was waiting for them to go numb so I couldn't feel them any longer! When I did move, my boots were frozen to the satnd. Oh joy!

Huge difference between stand hunting and still hunting when it comes to keeping warm. I have a set of those boot blankets but have yet to use them. Been considering giving one of those body suits a try as people swear by them. Other then that, consider relocating somewhere further south, like Texas.

I dated someone who's family lived outside of Youngstown. Ohio get some right cold weather come winter!

Good luck!
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©