3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pros and Cons of Schafer Silvertips  (Read 872 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pros and Cons of Schafer Silvertips
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
What Tim said.Ive never owned one but Ill be looking in a month or so.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
These are beautiful bows with a wonderful grip, but I found speed to be only average...even with the FF option.  I have done a lot of chronographing and it is no speed demon.  It's certainly no dog, but several bows out there with equal poundage will surpass the tip by 8-10 fps.  However, they are very shooter friendly with good manners and this "con" is minor in my book.  I just wanted to mention this because sometimes the "hype" gets a little out of hand.
Lon Scott

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
I agree w/ Lon. Nice shooters but the two I've had were of average speed. Nice, well crafted bows though.

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
Cons: I can only shoot one at the time!!!!!!
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
I'm going from a Howatt Mamba that was given to me to a tip. I haven't had any other bows. I cannot wait to feel the difference.  Pro's-What I have read and been told by everyone here that has or has ever had one!
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
your right on the Mojo Sergio, :)  the bows that Paul has made for me are very special to me. I remember reading about Paul when I was a young man and I just had to have one of those bows. I'm saving them for my 3 year old son I just hope he does'nt end up being a lefty. I hunt with a couple of Daves bows now and they are truly awesome shooting bows. Any Silvertip will do  :)

Billy
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
The Silvertip is a hell of a bow...and Dave is one hell of a bowyer!!

Peter

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »
I have owned/shot many bows, currently down to one....Silvertip. Get the checkered grip.

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:
Tom, it's ten to twelve months.

I can't think of anything but good things about mine.
Surely it wouldn't take that long. Waiting time sure, but build time would be a few weeks surely.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 01:05:00 AM »
That's correct, Tom; it is the que that takes the time. But it's worth lining-up for.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 02:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:
That's correct, Tom; it is the que that takes the time. But it's worth lining-up for.
Ben, if I had the dough I'd order one today!

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
I own 2 of Dave's bows. He's a fine bowyer, one of the best IMO!  ;)  
I have to agree with others above that about the only con I can think of is the waiting time. Other than that, they're fantastic.
Dave and Beth are great people and a pleasure to deal with too! Your dad won't be disappointed with a Silvertip!
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
My pros:

When you order one, you get to deal with Dave and Beth.  Two nicer people, I do not know.

The grip and feel of the bow when shot.  I went thru a LOT of bows looking for MY favorite recurve.  Nothing fits my hand better or shoots better for me than a regular, stock, medium everything Silvertip; I guess I am just an average guy!  Everyone is different though and everyone shold find what fits THEM.

Confidence.  Silvertips have travelled to all corners of the globe and have been used in every climatic condition known to take a tremendous variety of game.  I have personally never heard of a failure.

Cons: None in my mind.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
I have to question those that say Silvertips aren't very fast. I have shot a couple Silvertips against bows that I own (Black Widow, Morrison). If everything thing were equal on these bows, ie:string, draw weight, silencers, etc. I don't think you could find 1-2 fps diffenence in them. And yes, I shot have a crono and have shot them all extensively through it.

The only con 2 cons that kept me from ordering one for so long were:

1) My own impatience---but I finally made myself realize that I will never have one if I don't get it ordered!

2) Dave not using exotic woods in the risers of FF models. Well aftering some research here and talking to Dave, he actually will buid the riser out of exotic woods for lower weight bows (mine is 50#) but doesn't warranty it. I know he has his reasons for his policies and I appreciate them.
 After talking to him, I went with just that. Cocobolo riser, FF and I CAN'T wait till it gets here!!!!

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
I am also curious about the lack of speed comments. I find them to be above average in speed. Never chronoed a tip or any other trad bow for that matter but it is obvious how a bow performs once you take two steps back from 18-20 yards. My tips are hard hitting too, they seem to pack more punch when they arrive at there destination.

I can think of a few other custom bows out there that are slower to the eye and to my own speed test which is the 18-20 yd mark.

I know that the deer are not interested in how fast the arrow get to them, so I guess I don't really mind either. Silvertips rule the recurve market in my book and I have been down a costly road figuring that out!
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
2) Dave not using exotic woods in the risers of FF models. Well aftering some research here and talking to Dave, he actually will buid the riser out of exotic woods for lower weight bows (mine is 50#) but doesn't warranty it. I know he has his reasons for his policies and I appreciate them.
After talking to him, I went with just that. Cocobolo riser, FF and I CAN'T wait till it gets here!!!!
I've wondered about this. You see plenty of bow makers offering exotics and I think I've only seen one or two posts in all my years about a broken or cracked riser.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
Here is one of mine;  Fast Flight and all Ebony...that is exotic, isn't it?

Seriously, A.S is correct with his info.  I am not worried about any warranty.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
Steve, that ebony Silvertip is absolutely gorgeous (love the checkering  ;)  ), and that goat is nice too.    :thumbsup:
Lon Scott

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
My hunting buddy and fellow tradganger tadpole is on his second tip and they are by no means slow the tip he has and has had will smoke any bow I've ever had in my hands!! I won't mention any name's but my bow's are slow compared to his!! I took the hint and orderd one about 2 weeks ago so here in about 10 months I'll be shooting my own!! just my 2 cents, Jason

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
I just got one myself recently. I must say there are pro's all over it. Not a con to be found anywhere IMO. Wish I would have gotten one a long time ago. Now I am in the market for another.

Froggy
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©