3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cutting into my shoulder  (Read 219 times)

Offline BEETLE GUY

• Trad Bowhunter
Cutting into my shoulder
« on: December 07, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
I'm wondering, how many of you have had shoulder surgery and are now 100% In late January thy will be doing some repairs to my left shoulder and I'm scared that I might not be 100% after the operation.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cutting into my shoulder
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
Exactly what are you having done?  Radical rotator cuff repair, subacromial decompression... is it arthroscopic...
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
I had a right shoulder rebuild about six years ago, and have not regreted the surgery one bit. Be sure to give ample time to let it heal and follow your surgeons instructions. I went from having trouble brushing my teeth, then with in a month I was in therapy lifting weight above my head. I did alot of searching for the right surgeon and ended up going with a Sports Specialized Shoulder and Elbow Othepedic Surgeon. Good luck and just give it plenty of time to heal, don't rush things. You definitly don't want things worse than they are now.
 I also continue to do some of my rehab excersizes that maintain strength in the stabilizing muscles through out my shoulder.
    Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
I had shoulder surgery with a number of repairs being done. I doubt I will ever be 100% again, but after 3 years I am able to shoot for prolonged sessions (up to about 300 arrows per session) and only have minor soreness afterwards (at least most of the time it is only minor). I have dropped draw weight significantly over the last 30 years. Part of that is undoubtedly age, but most of it is injuries. I am still shooting bow weights of 45 to 70 pounds; however, the higher weights are hard on me and hurt my shoulder more, so I shoot the 50 to 60 pound weights the most. Hopefully you will need less done and can recover more quickly. I had other health issues that prevented me from doing the rehab as quickly as I needed it. Still, I think you should plan on two years to heal fairly completely.

You are not going to be able to do much immediately after the surgery. It will require a lot of physical therapy and rehabilitation to get your shoulder back to where you can comfortably shoot a bow if the repairs are extensive. The physical therapists know what they are doing, and if you follow their recommendations you will not hurt yourself and will ultimately recover fairly well. If you try to push beyond what you are told to do you could re-injure yourself and make things much worse than ever. Lower your expectations and be willing to come back slowly. Better to miss one season than mess yourself up even worse and have long term problems.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
Had shoulder surgery about 3 years ago in March and was hunting with a 60# longbow by Sept. Get it fixed. I agree with Allan on the physical therapy. You need to work at it.  :campfire:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline BEETLE GUY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
rotator cuff and muscle torn

Offline BroMark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
I tore up my left shoulder in a fall back in Jan '08.  Dislocated out the back side and tore all the ligaments.  Had it surgically repaired in Feb '08.  About mid-September I got to where I could shoot some again - only a few shots a day... and that was after months of pretty intense rehab.  By bow opener here in AR (Oct 1) I was shooting hard and heavy about every day.

I layed off shooting for almost a month and just recently started shooting again almost every day.  My shoulder bothers me some on the first shot, which isn't good.  The doc told me I'd never get back to 100%, so I guess I just have to make up my mind to stay after it and keep that dude in shape.  My situation was pretty severe, so the doc said.  I know several guys who have been scoped for rotator cuff repair and they are all pretty much back to normal.

Best of luck!
Blood bought - twice born - heaven bound!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 07:10:00 AM »
I tore all the rotator cuff muscles and the bicep tendon off the bone plus tore the labrium catalage May 1st of this year. I had surgery June 17th, Seven pins to fix it all.

I never touched the bow for 4 months and then started at 20# kids bow and slowly worked my way up to a hunting wieght bow by the 1st of November. It will take you a while but take it slow and steady and you will be in good shape.

Yes, I did lose some mobility and strength but the said it would take up to a year to get some of it back, Might not too. I'm still in therapy but almost done.

Good luck to ya!!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »
I had arthroscopic surgery on my right shoulder about 4 yrs, ago and it feels great. It took me about 6 months to get back up to speed but I took it slow.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline BEETLE GUY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
Deer season opens in August, up here, and I want to be ready

Offline E. Texas HillBilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
Beetle guy,
                           I had a large portion of my Humerous bone removed due to Cancer. The humerous is the large upper arm bone that goes into the shoulder. They replaced what they took out with cadaver bone, a large portion in the ball/socket area. I was shooting my ol' 85# longbow in 9 months. Do what the Doc says and rehab, rehab, rehab. You will be good as new in no time. Just don't push too hard to soon. Work on your flexibilty and mobility first then worry about power.
                        Hillbilly
The quiet, still watcher sees the most. -Paps

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©