3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: my turn  (Read 836 times)

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
my turn
« on: December 08, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »
I decided to take my last deer for this year; I decided on an antlerless deer; as I am already seeing muledeer dropping an antler or two.

I have staked this spot out; a path the deer take over water; where I can sit next to and under the path.

I was looking at a close shot; that was for sure; and eye level with the feet of the deer.

So last night I watched the deer cross where I wanted them too; I practiced up close; and at the last minute decided to use a laminated birch wood arrow: tipped with a super sharp grizzly el grande 160 grain head - sharp enough to shave with.

I sat down on my 3 legged chair; in some catails; waiting for the moment to arrive for a shot. It had snowed the night before; and melted off a bit; and I was really confidant.

I did wonder what time it was; and took out my gps and only got to note that I was .78 miles from home; when a deer walked out into my shooting path. I let the gps down; and drew back; as the deer stopped and sniffed the ground where I had walked.

It lifted its head; turned and looked the opposite direction from me; and I settled in on a hair above its elbow. My arrow was there in a blink; and the deer shot straight up emitting a louder than loud bleat; and then taking off like a bucking bronco.

I could see just the 5 1/2 inch fletch sticking out its left side; and then I saw the broadhead and shaft sticking out the other side of the deer.

I have killed some 40 deer and never seen this reaction; it jumped up again; and took off full tilt; and I immediately figured I hit the heart.

I saw it run hard and tight to the ground until it took a right around some bushes; and then it was out of my sight.

I waited and then took a picture of where I had held to shoot the deer; and then measured off the distance from my chair to the deers tracks- where I hit it: with my bow as a measuring stick.

One length of the strung 66 inch Sentman; two lengths; and a half more. So a two and a half bow length shot.

I immediately found both halves of the arrow.

There was blood on the snow; and then where I saw the deer disapear - no more. Not a drop. I looked for an hour and a half; and no more sign.

I could see where other deer had run off; and perhaps this deer; but no blood. none. I left ready to return tomorrow. It will be down to 16 degrees tonight; and the snow should still be there.

As I left - I heard coyotes in the background....

I pretty much figure I will never shoot a grizzly again. I hit exactly where I aimed; like a dream that arrow hit; and no blood trail. I do figure that the deer if heart hit will go about 180 yards.. but in neck high grass; it will be a tough find. I can tell you; that if I do not find the deer tomorrow I will take all my grizzly heads and hammer them into oblivion.

At this point; I am shocked; and disgusted and disapointed.

If I find the deer; I will include all the photos; because its the last time I will be shooting a grizzly head - I will return to the Zwickey and the easy to follow blood trails........
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline BrianH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: my turn
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
I feel for ya.  That is the reason I have gone exclusively to 3 blade heads.  I have never had a poor blood trail with 3 blade heads, both the Woodsman and Muzzy have given great bloodtrails, even on marginal hits.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
i hope ya find the doe tomorrow...hate to say it..but that could happen with any head......i wouldnt blame it on a proven head.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 12:17:00 AM »
I have had deer jump about 5 yards sideways when they expire. Be sure to check to the sides of the trail. I have also had them fall 10-30 yards past where the blood stopped, like they ran out of blood. Good luck tomorrow.

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 12:27:00 AM »
be patient that can happen with every head and every bow, hope you have found it by now
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
after having a three blade snuffer 160 save my hunt this year I have vowed off all two blade heads.  The big three blade head hit the femoral artery on a less than perfect shot and from that point on I will never shoot another two blade head.  No matter how "proven" they want to be.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dustin Waters:
after having a three blade snuffer 160 save my hunt this year I have vowed off all two blade heads.  The big three blade head hit the femoral artery on a less than perfect shot and from that point on I will never shoot another two blade head.  No matter how "proven" they want to be.
Same here. Two blades penetrate and kill stuff...finding the animal afterwards can be a challenge. WW's and Snuffers leave amazing blood trails.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
About 5 years ago I shot 4 deer with a 2 blade head. I saw 3 of them go down within sight of the tree I was in. I followed the bloodtrails of all of them and was very dissapointed in the lack of blood I found. They worked, they killed the deer quickly, but it seemed that slit would clog up guickly and not let the blood out. I now use 3 or 4 blade heads. Hope you find her.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
Snuffers here. For sure!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
What would concern me more is that at that distance you didn't get a pass through. I have shot deer with a 42# bow and gotten pass through @ 10 yards , this seems odd to me at such close distance you didn't?? I have not seen great blood trails from two blades either but have found my deer . I am also thinking of changing back to three blade heads . Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
any broadhead will do but some better than others. as long as they are sharp and i mean sharp  :scared:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
Good luck Brian, I hope you find the deer with no coyote damage!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by drewsbow:
What would concern me more is that at that distance you didn't get a pass through. I have shot deer with a 42# bow and gotten pass through @ 10 yards , this seems odd to me at such close distance you didn't?? I have not seen great blood trails from two blades either but have found my deer . I am also thinking of changing back to three blade heads . Drew
I wondered about that too,but shooting from below and (I assume) slightly behind, he may have punched through the off-side scapula, probably toward the top.

Part of the problem was the low wound was on the entrance side. Entrance wounds tend to be smaller, no matter what BH you use. An exit wound through the off shoulder isn't going to provide much if any blood. Around here, our deer are so fat a low entrance wound (just a slit with the two blade) would plug with fat quickly. The chest cavity will fill with blood, but not much will leak out. I can't believe the deer will go far, but you'll probably have to grid search instead of blood trailing.

One lesson learned here should be to avoid that shot angle at least unless you are in open country where you'll probably see the deer go down. Massive exit wounds on the low side make for quick recoveries, so tree stands or high ground are the rule for me.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »
I found it! 171 steps on the drag out; but way more important; I figured out what happened.

I figured out why my two blade zwickeys have always left a good blood trail; and why the grizzly did not.

I hit the deer through the lower left lung; through the bottom of the heart; out through the lung on the right side; and didn't hit a bone anywhere.

The arrow hit exactly where I aimed; right over the elbow; and came out up on the opposite lung; as I was below the deer when I shot.

Not one drop of blood past the spot where I hit it. I did find some on grasses where it rubbed against them. VERY scant though. I actually found the deer by following the tracks.

Now speculate as to why I will not hunt with the grizzly head anymore. It is partially because I lost a pope and young bear this spring I hit with one- but more....WHY I lost that bear- and could have if not for 3 hours of looking today- I could well have lost this deer.

And this is a small doe. It is a hybrid doe; that is why I studied it so long before I shot it- hybrids are not thrifty. They taste good though!!

Now please try to figure what happened....and its not a two blade versus 3 situation...

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
oh and thanks for the support; and the broadhead is still shaving sharp.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
why don't you just tell us?
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
You doubled lunged (and heart shot) that deer and it still went about 120 yards?
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
Glad you found her, now come on and tell us!!

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
Glad you found her Brian!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
My speculation would say that the holes were plugged with fat....  :confused:
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©