3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: my turn  (Read 835 times)

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: my turn
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
I use both heads a lot!  I've had great blood with both and crappy blood with both.  One kill doesn't say anything!!!!  If you would of had 10 kills before with a griz. you wouldn't of batted an eye.  JMHO

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
I guess I'll chime in here.....for what it's worth.

1.  N of 1 trials mean little to nothing.
2.  Surgeons don't use single bevel scalpels because they don't cut straight (exactly why Dr. A likes single bevel and why a chisel digs deeper into the wood the more you push if you don't know what you're doing)...I don't like crooked surgery scars.
3.  I have far less experience than the vast majority of any of you on this board but when I go to track an animal I don't just look on the ground for blood, I look on all the foliage at a height approximate to where I thought I hit the animal because I know that's where the blood's coming from....I look on the ground for tracks.

Glad to see you got the deer.  Enjoy the venison.
homebru

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »
Congrats on the shot and recovery.
I shot a few arrows with Ray, and noticed the reverse pressure of the single bevel as I pulled his arrow from the target.
I know they twist hard and will be curious to see the results.
All that said, I have had a squirrel stop a 510 grain arrow from @15 feet.
The animals movement can stop or change trajectory fast enough to stop an arrow dead! The 'rat' was skewered on my 28" GT, and it had a shaving sharp Montec 125 (3 blades) with 100 grn brass insert.
I think we underestimate our quarry from time to time.
And to me, that is what's great about this stuff; we can never know everything !
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
Brian, congrats on recovering your deer.

Brian stated a number of facts pertaining to this recent event and you can take what you want from his experiences. He has expressed his opinions based upon first hand, direct knowledge. It never ceases to amaze me how others perceive the facts as presented implying  did not actually happen the way as stated all the while being so far removed(thousands of miles)from the location of the actual event.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline mbbushman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2008, 12:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by 2-BIG:
At that close of range I would not be suprised at a lack of penetration on any animal. The arrow doesn't have the time or distance to get the kinetic energy it needs  
I will have to disagree with that statement!!! Once that arrow leaves the bow it has reached it's maximum  energy level. The farther it flies the less energy it will have as it sheds velocity.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2008, 01:24:00 AM »
Brian do not get discouraged by Rays views , he obviousely conciders Grizzlies to be the best and for him they are ,, it is still shot placemnent,, I have taken 65 whitetails with bow and to say everyone was perfect not! but I can tell you a good three blade leaves a better blood trail for me as I to have had trouble with 2 blade Broadheads ,, so it is whatever you prefer.. and yes I also agree with Ray on double Lung or heart shot deer do not go far( no 120 yds)
Gord

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2008, 03:28:00 AM »
Well- its not going to be me that disses Ray !

I do assume that the hair on a hog is not as thick as on this deer- or on 'normal' winter coated deer( the deer I shot was a hybrid- a muledeer doe doe and a whitetail buck production). This might explain the really long and thick hair on it. Then again I have shot really long haired muledeer in the winter before- I have one doe mounted on my wall.

And Ray and his 'distance issue'. I heartly agree that 120 is possible. I ~stepped off~ 171 yards. I do not have a range finder.

The penetration issue; I think- was due to the action of the spinning head through the tough muscle of the heart. Speculation; but I have shot another deer and an elk this year with this bow and had pass throughs- different broadheads; but I know what the bow is capable of.

No doubt though- it was a double lung heart shot!

this is where I took the shot from. Just imagine a deer there and drawing back where the arrow is pointing ( different grizzly head on this arrow in photo)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2008, 03:31:00 AM »
this is where the deer was standing when it was hit.

not much blood !

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2008, 03:34:00 AM »
I took that picture when it was getting dark...

here are two photos of the only blood I could find:

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2008, 03:38:00 AM »
Yeah- not a lot of blood!

Here is a spot the deer walked over; I found the deer; and walked back to this spot; because I really felt there should be blood here somewhere-

there was none- and look its white snow!

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2008, 03:45:00 AM »
this is where it fell.

and this is the entrance side-  

the arrow hit right above the elbow- right where I aimed ( that works sometimes for me)

:thumbsup:

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2008, 03:49:00 AM »

this is the entrance hole- with the hair pushed away-

and this is the entrance wound from inside:

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2008, 03:55:00 AM »

this is the coagulated blood from the chest cavity

this is what was still left in the chest; you can see the exit wound too- to the right of my fingers ..between the ribs

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2008, 03:59:00 AM »
this is a closer up of the exit wound from the outside- notice how the hair covers the exit hole. I think this is why the deer did not bleed outside the body.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2008, 06:23:00 AM »
the metatarsal glands are different on hybrids; but the tail is a giveaway.

muledeer have a rope type tail; with bristles not hair on it.

these pictures show the black hair and long silky hair on the tail; taken from the whitetail sire.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2008, 06:28:00 AM »

I have pictures showing both sides of the lungs were sliced; and the heart.. well its hit low but hit hard.

this is a view I am putting here because people do ask about deer anatomy; and this is a view of the deer on its back; showing heart/lung and then the gut area.

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2008, 07:27:00 AM »
Brian, one thing I will say. You could not have walked up and stuck the arrow in that deer any better in my book. I bet with a wide sharp Mag 1, you would have walked around the blood to keep from getting your boots messed up.   BILL

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2008, 07:31:00 AM »
Thanks for the post and all the effort you put to the photo's (from the guy with a son and his family in Pocatello!).I killed my first deer with a W.W. last year from a tree stand at about 3 yards fom my stand. Took out major heart arteries and double lung, "above middle entrance" with a low exit. Might have had a pass threw but hit opposite leg on exit. Sorry no photo's. Great blood trail. Found the doe 50 steps from where I hit her. Just one experiience though.

Glad you found your deer.
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
Thanks for posting all the photo`s. (I MUST learn how to do that)

That is a shot I would call low in the "Pocket".

I would not expect that deer to get very far, and I would EXPECT to see a five star bloodtrail.

She IS a hairy deer, and it looks to me that in addition to the other traits a hybrid has, they have a bigger chest for the size of the deer.

I wonder if they are able to reproduce, or are they sterile.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
I had this happen one time on a bull elk, almost the exact same shot only reverse the angle.  My buddy shot it and kept telling me that it was heart shot.  there was no blood, none, had hair and a couple of drops on the ground.

Bull was down 60 yds away and we found him by tracking also.

The shot hit both lungs and the heart.

Do you think that a trama to the heart sometimes stops it dead?  It's the only answer I have come up with.  The heart stops and so does blood flow except for gravity.

Good shot and great recovery!!

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©