3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow bolt  (Read 309 times)

Offline WINDTALKER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow bolt
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
Holm-made, Wish I knew about the recommendations when I bought the bow at the expo I attended, it would have saved me some minor injuries.Vermonster13 I never meant to suggest the bolt failed,just my experiance with it in that paticular bow. Now keep in mind I'm not a bowyer and I only had one bow with the bolt and didn't get to own it long enough to really check the system out(purchase to breakage was about 1 week and 50 arrows),but laterall pressure on that small of an area incased in wood and epoxy and a nice leather handle wrap doesn't seem that strong.Just my opinion  Art

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
I edited my post above because I know a lot of bowyers with good reputations have used Dymondwood with good success.  
The main thing to keep in mind is the bowyer is providing a warrenty with his bows.  The last thing he wants to see is a bow come back, that's just money and time lost.  If the bowyer trusts his system then the customer should too.  :)  Chad

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 12:21:00 AM »
Chad -- Sorry I said that you used Dymondwood instead of Actionwood on my Osprey longbow with the Bow Bolt!!!! As you know, I love the bow you built for me and recommend your bows as some of the best made, and as perhaps the best bargain available for a great shooting, high performance bow. I don't want to diminish the quality of any other bowyer's products by comparison, because I have not tried all the others (like the Dryads), but I know yours are top notch and extremely reasonably priced.

Mike -- Thanks for the information on how you strengthen your risers for the Bow Bolt. I hope someday to shoot one of your bows. I have heard nothing but great things about you and the bows you build and have no doubt the praise is well deserved.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 02:52:00 AM »
I definately feel they are worth the extra couple hundred bucks and you will too if you ever decide to re-sale it at some point in the future.  

I love my Griffin 2 piece. I was interested in having John install one in my other griffin.  He flat told me he would not modify an existing 1 piece bow with a bow bolt.  He explained that to be installed correctly it needed to be done at the time the riser was built as this system required phelonic in the riser to safely contain and support the stress in the area of the bolt.

I did on one occasion, see a riser blow up while being draw weight tested. This was a bow that had the Bow-bolt installed after the bow was built. Bolt did not give. The wood left in the riser was awfully thin on the sides and that is where it "Let Go".  Keeping in mind that the origional Bowyer never built the riser for use as a T/D bow.

I would buy another in a heartbeat as long as it was done at the time of the Bow Build.
Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
Gene,

That is a great point, we don't retrofit the bow bolt even on our own bows.  We design the riser for the system when we build it.

It's a great system, but takes some thought on the bowyers part as to whether it will work in there bow and if it will how to make it work safely.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©