3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Benefits of small game hunting  (Read 337 times)

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
Benefits of small game hunting
« on: December 09, 2008, 02:00:00 AM »
I have found over the years that the benefits of small game hunting are numerous and very helpful in honing general hunting skills. What have been some of the benefit's of small game hunting in your life? And for those who don't chase lesser game why not?

I drag my bow everywhere with me if there is any hunting open so it's sometimes hard to say just when hunting starts and ends sometimes. If I'm on a fire wood run I'll do a quick sweep for rabbits and grouse. My son Gunther and I spent most of this summer hiking the mountains around our house. He rode in a back pack type baby carrier, it was a great way to train for sheep he got steadily heavier as I got stronger. We were never without a bow, marmot aren't half bad table fare and in the fall they have enough fat to make bacon plus decent fur. Small game hunting has definitely helped my stalking abilities through practice and if you can hit a rabbit a moose is easy. So there's better skills, closer family and meat for the pot.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Benefits of small game hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 02:03:00 AM »
Honing shooting skills on small game. Trying to hit small targets like squirrels or rabbits makes me concentrate harder. Plus, its another day of shooting the bow. You can always add stumpshooting to your small game chase. Anything to hone the shooting skills plus a fun day outdoors.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
I'd kill to hunt with my bow!!!  :D  

Not only is small game hunting great fun (sometimes more fun than big game hunting), great practice for big game, it is like Joe said... another day of shooting the bow.

I know it's made me a better game shot and there always seems to be some small game animal in season.

And whatever the animal, I just love being out there hunting with my bow.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »
When my butt is sore from sitting long hours in the treestand nothing gets me back in the groove like shooting AT some squirrels.RC

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
Stress relief.

-There's no pressure to come home with a "trophy"...or anything at all.  

-Weapon doesn't matter, they'll make you a good shot with whatever you shoot.

-Seems, for me, it's a much more spontaneous decision.   Just get up and go. With deer (and the other "big game" I've not hunted) there seems to be a lot of preliminary work and decisions.
Micah 6:8

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
Not much to add to what you guys have said...so I think I'll grab my bow and take my beagle for an outing this afternoon to see if we can find some bunnies.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Small game is great table fare, good practice, and has the potential to offer considerable chances for comraderie and good times. Mostly its just plain fun. Its how I interested my sons in bowhunting.                      Grant

Offline elktalkn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
The way I see it target practice is a good way to practice your release. I have a hard time concentrating on multiple shots at a target. Stump shooting for me is the way I practice with my bow. Small game is the best way to practice your stump shooting.

Variable distances, live targets you cant get better than this! It will make you a better hunter.
Put the same effort in life as you do your adventures!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
Rabbits, squirrels, grouse, etc make some fine eating and usually there is a lot more action when hunting them.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
No tag applications.No zones.Can pack the animal out easily.Long seasons.Great game to train the youngins on.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
Lots of fun with a better chance of seeing game. It is much easier to gain access to hunt small game on lands that otherwise are off limits for deer and the likes. Me and Joe have some of our best times together hunting rabbits and squirrel and just hanging out in the woods.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
For all the reasons already stated. More shots and for me personaly, more enjoyment.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
great eating , great challenge, and also a great time to do a little off season deer scouting..while chasing bunnies.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
God bless small game... and their inability to get downwind.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
Nothing, not a deer, bear, or elk alive, will ever get me to small like a great day of small game hunting. It's just too much fun. I'll take frogs, squirrel, porcupine, etc...over any deer, anyday...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
I love small game I always see more squirels earlier in the year when I can't tear my self away from my big buck killing plans that never seem to pan out.  
I really get a rush when I stalk a squirel and he starts to wander into easy shooting range. When I told my serious hunting buddies that they laughed.

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 07:31:00 AM »
Going on a squirrel or rabbit hunt does you more good for big game than going to 100 3-D shoots.   BILL

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
Keeps your arrow making skills sharp
  :D

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
It's all hunting to me.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
It gives you a reason not to do the "Honey-do list"  :bigsmyl:
Lincoln E. Farr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©