3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many arrows?  (Read 529 times)

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
How many arrows?
« on: December 10, 2008, 08:02:00 AM »
How many arrows do you end up losing a year? I probably lose about 2 doz. a year.

Boomer

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many arrows?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
At least 1-2 dz each year.  That is counting lost, broke, bent, ...
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
I couldn't afford to loose that many. I usually lose maybe 4-6 arrows a year at 3D shoots.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »
Hardly ever lose an arrow but everytime I have company shoot at my place at least one gets broken. The wall eats them lol
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
Somthing to think about the next time you buy a target, opt for the larger target(at least I need a larger target) and it will pay for itself in fewer lost arrows-good way to justify speending the extra money to the "boss"  :bigsmyl:
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
Losses happen stumping/hunting. The breaks happen because the Wall can be intimidating for first-timers and you tend to hit what you're concentrating on. lol
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
Or when Trees jump out in front of you at the 3D range.  Or when attempting 70-100 yards shots on a elk target on a bet!!  Man thinking about it I loose & break a lot of arrows doing stupid things but man is it fun!!!   :thumbsup:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
I shoot woodies all the time.  Lose and break a few stump shooting, probably one or two per outing, but I shoot into some very hard stuff and take some very unusual shots.  Rarely lose or break any at 3-D tournaments.

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
About a dozen hunting and stump shooting...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
I make all my arrows from scratch with either sourwood shoots or cane. Lots of work goes into each arrow so it sharpens your shooting. I do loose a few but very rarely break any since I started making them from sourwood shoots and cane. The ones I do loose I consider as an offering back to Mother Nature.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ben Woodring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
I use to go through 4 doz or so, with the increasing price of everything I'm down to about a dozen a year

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
I lose more than I break. Usually at those impossible shots. Had some woodies "to lose" but they came back thanks to someone else looking for their arrows. I would say this year about 8 arrows lost or broke.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »

Hardly any   :goldtooth:

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
This year I broke two, bent one beyond repair, and lost two under the muskeg in Canada just goofing off. I don't lose many......Grant

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
I lost 3 of my new dozen woodies the first day I shot them. When I say "lost" I mean kindling-love that cedar smell!   :)    I CAN'T resist making, or trying to make I should say, that "double dog dare ya" impossible shot that will thread the needle between two rocks at 30 yards! Fun though!    :thumbsup:  

I went to carbons from woods for their greater durability but they would just richochete across the universe on those shots-never to be seen again !    :biglaugh:   I think I am going back though. At least the carbons tend to turn up in the lost arrow bin on occasion. The weirdness for me comes when I get upset over losing a $10 arrow when I can shoot off $$50 in ammo without thinking about it! I look way too long sometimes because I KNOW it's there dammit!    :)    I buy at least two dozen a year.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
Haven't broken but a few AD's. They are almost indestructible! I lose maybe 3-4 a year. Judos save me all the time.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
I actually count how many lost or broken arrows I go through in a year. Yeah, it's a little strange, but to the people who know me it's no surprise.

So far in '08 I'm at 76.

My record was in 2007 at 142!

It was a very good year.  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
Probably 6-12 a year. Broken or lost.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Frenchy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 04:56:00 AM »
20 arrows a year, approximately (nutria hunting increases the number of my arrows lost)

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 06:17:00 AM »
There is a saying in skiing: "No Falls, No Balls!" If you are not losing any arrows you are either shooting at Howard Hill's level or you are not taking any fun, risky shots! BORING!    :goldtooth:   Fred Anderson talks about those people in his book "The Traditional Way." He says he avoids those people!    :biglaugh:   Great book!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©