3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: from file to knife in 6 easy steps (build along)  (Read 1253 times)

Offline ironrhino

• Trad Bowhunter
from file to knife in 6 easy steps (build along)
« on: March 07, 2007, 01:56:00 AM »
Ok... so theres actually like 1000 steps but for those of us who are not detail oriented here are the bare bones:

1: find an old file that has the right carbon content (or get a piece of 0-1 or comperable  steel)

2: take five seconds and trace the file on to a piece of paper (so you have something to do while your wating for the file to cool over night)

3: find yourself some hot coals (I used my fireplace) and get that file red hot (technically only heat it until it reaches "nonmagnetic" but this is the 6 step method) and then bury that sucker in a big ol pile of hardwood ash (which was conveniently located all over the fireplace for me, but seriously this is the most important part so have a pile of good ashes ready...)

Offline ironrhino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: from file to knife in 6 easy steps (build along)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 01:56:00 AM »
4: Grind, sand, and file that bad boy into whatever shape you drew while you wated the 12-24 hours for the thing to cool and re-granulate (made up word)
-you did wait 24hours didnt you? (those blisters on your fingertips will be gone in a day or two... i guess the ash is a good insulator huh? uh... not that i know...)

5: once you've gotten it shaped sanded and polished down to like 300grit and cut your blade bevle (i'm not sure if this is what you're supposed to do, but i figured it would be a HECK of a lot easier to get rid of the metal while it was soft.)

toss it back in the fire heat it up to red hot again (read non-magnetic) and then quench it in oil (no mom, i have no idea where ALL the vegitable oil went) also you may want to place the oil off to one side of your fireplace to avoid burning your whole house down. (just my .02)

6: Polish her up, put on a handle, procede to gut the next cute furry thing that you rain silent death down on.

Offline ironrhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 02:00:00 AM »
so now your saying to yourself, "RHiNo... thats great but directions are so hard to follow without a couple pictures to clear things up..."

...what's that you say citizen... you'd like some pictures....?

ok, I can handle that!

(this has nothing to do with the knife but check out the "a mouse ate my shooting glove" post you'll understand)

Offline ironrhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 02:04:00 AM »
ok now you're gonna have to figure out steps 1-3 on your own b/c i didnt take any pictures of that since i didnt have my digital camera way back then... (the middle of febuary when i was home for my birthday)

but here we have the annealed knife blade with the rough cut blade and the mahogony handle blank

Offline ironrhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 02:15:00 AM »
**annealed and rough cut**

as a side note, i ebayed a SWEET piece of ambonia burl for the handle of this knife... but i left it in ohio... so this baby got a piece of mahogony

The next step was to cut the groove for the knife tang to rest in, i did this by setting the rip fence on our table saw to cut the blank down the middle and then moved the fence a tiny bit at a time until the groove was groovy!! (but i didnt move it a tiny bit at a time until the groove on my first handle blank was SLIGHTLY oversized... oops!!!)

then you drill the holes for your pins through the handle, then mark the steel through those holes drill your blade and then you're ready to harden and temper that puppy!

Offline ironrhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 02:23:00 AM »

IMPORTANT AMENDMENT TO #5 after you get it out of the oil... IMMIDATELY chuck it into the oven for an hour or two @400 degrees, allow it to air cool back down to room temperature, then season to taste.

when it comes out of the oven there should be some funy scales and junk from the fireplace some people recommend letting it soak in vinnegar overnight to soften this junk up so i did. (mostly because it wasnt comming off and it was 4am so i REALLY wanted to go to bed)

I'll let somone who actually knows something about doing this fill in the gaps and tell us all the stuff that i did wrong.

Offline ironrhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 02:30:00 AM »
yes those holes are oversized, thanks for asking...

i broke the bit that was the correct size in a freak drill press accident while i was drilling the handle. and the epoxy will fill in the gaps between the pins making it one solid piece.

"but Ryan, won't some of the epoxy come out when you tap the pins through?"

that's an excellent question, which i didnt consider until my 4 minute epoxy was starting to harden and i was 3/4 done tapping in the pins. so my suggestion would be to use regular 2 ton epoxy so you have all the time in the world to make it right.

Offline ironrhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 02:37:00 AM »
Well, if you are anything like me right about now you're saying come on MAN!!!! lets see this baby all done up!!!!

well I'm here to say, "hold your horses there buckaroo, We're almost to the end of our little knife making journey so be patient"

HERE SHE IS:

i left some of the teeth on the side of the blade just because i thought it looked cool i did my best to get a decent picture of it so let me know what you think.

Offline ironrhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 02:38:00 AM »
lets try this again

Offline ironrhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 02:55:00 AM »
I can honestly say that this has been one of the most fun and rewarding projects i've ever done, and it makes me even more excited to kill a deer with a bow and arrow that i've made with my own two hands...

some things that i would have done differently,

-i prefer to have a full length tang but since i was working with a broken piece of file, i made due.

-I would have cut the blade bevel like 17-20 degrees with a file before i hardened it because it took me HOURS with my lansky before i hardened it and then HOURS afterwards!!!

-i would have bookmatched the mahogony scales and glued them to a maple or osage core and put a wavy accent strip in there... etc, made the handle more exciting... but i'll probably send this one in for the knife swap anyway or maybe i'll keep it forever

Things i really enjoyed:

-like i mentioned above, this was just a really rewarding project personally so i think that this could be a really great father son mentor mentoree project...

file it away... tehehe (i couldnt resist)

Now, go grab some old file and turn it into a sweet knife...

because theres only six steps, and i managed to do it without any fancy furnaces or kilns so you have no excuse not to!

**DISCLAMER**

knives are sharp things they should not be placed in the eyes or mouth and should be kept out of reach of small children, pets, and any relatives that REALLY "love" you.

If you choose to make a knife and in the process cut, burn or in some other way injure yourself i am in no way responsible, you are an adult and need to take responsibility for yourself

SORRY... i couldnt resist... I HATE thos stupid warning lables "caution, coffee is hot, it could burn you" "dont drink bleach" "dont smoke while pouring gas" "dont stick your hand into... fill in the ultra dangerous implement"

Cheers and God Bless you all!

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 03:49:00 AM »
Nice knife. You gonna make a mouse hide sheath??  :bigsmyl:
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 06:24:00 AM »
Cool, thanks for sharing Rhino.  I'm a 6 step kind of guy, so this would work for me.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline Tbilisi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 06:29:00 AM »
Where do you get the brass pins?
Life is short.  Shoot the good arrows first.

Offline Glenn Carl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 06:36:00 AM »
Great project Ironrhino. The knife turned out looking good. I like how serious you take it. Howed you cook the mouse?
"This is cool"  My 7 year old son Ian after shooting his new youth bow built from Elk Ninja's build-along

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 06:53:00 AM »
Nice build a long and good looking knife.  I like your writing style.  There is one part you left out...how many shots it took to get the glove eater...or did ya cheat and use a trap....
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 07:06:00 AM »
Pretty cool Ryan. I'll bet you're a Neandrathal among your fellow students ha ha
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 07:32:00 AM »
That knife looks good Ryan. Thanks for doing this.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cody Cantrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
Ryan how did you get the hollow grind on the blade?  By the way the knife looks great.

Cody
Your wife will accustom herself to shavings and scraps of feathers on the rugs.-Saxton Pope

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
What broadhead for the mouse?Cool knife too.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
Do a European mount as warning to the other mice! Great knife and build-along!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©