3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What to look for in osage(hedge) trees ?  (Read 204 times)

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
What to look for in osage(hedge) trees ?
« on: December 11, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
The reason I'm asking is because I've heard its hard to get in some areas. The farm I hunt is loaded with the trees, anywhere from just starting to 30 footers. A very good friend owns the property and doesnt care if I cut some down. I just dont know what to look for or what to do with it after I cut it. I dont want to waste trees that I dont need...Thanks Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What to look for in osage(hedge) trees ?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
With osage, it's tough.  I don't know much about it but I do know the straighter the better, and check out the bark.  If the bark swirls around the tree, it's probably not going to split out nicely.  The bark needs to be fairly straight, and that will speak well of the grain inside the tree.  

I'll be watching this thread.  A guy at work told me to come cut whatever I wanted out of his fields too.  

Joe
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
Straight for at least 72", no twist obvious in the bark, few limbs or other imperfections, and 8-14" in diameter.  Find 10 of those and I'll drive over to Canton and help you cut it for half the wood.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
I will be hunting again tomorrow. I will take some pictures on my way in. We have a sawmill about 10 minutes from my house. Do you have to split it or could I have them saw the wood into more uniform staves? It seems like you would get more from the log doing it this way. Does the splitting show the good from the bad?
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
PM sent.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 03:01:00 PM »
About one in a hundred osage trees is perfect, six foot straight section, no limbs or "cat faces" (marks in the bark where limbs have died off and grown over), straight grain (no barber pole as seen in the bark), and off good size. Also with ideal growth rings, that is large dark rings with small lighter (spring) rings ratio, which you can't see till you cut down the tree. Don't pass up sections four feet long with good characteristics that can be spliced as billets into full length bow blanks.

You need to split into staves and seal the ends as soon as possible (I use spray shellac) and store away from insects or spray the bark with insecticide.

Then you need to wait a few years for them to dry.

A friend who has harvested osage and made bows is a big help. Its lots of work and a buddy is a good idea.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
If you want to build self bows, split it. If you are going to make lams or backed bows have it sawn.I hate to see good self bows go to the saw mill but I don't have good access to osage so I am particular about good bow wood.
   What John said.  He's cut a few osage trees in his time.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »
I didnt think of it but Flesner reminded me that Mystik longbows is close by me. Real close in fact,about 8 miles from my house. Bernie would be able to help me also.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©