3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Am I charging too much  (Read 1351 times)

Offline The Ursus

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Am I charging too much
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
Complaining about the price of fuel or health insurance in one thing but whining about the price of your hobbies???  Give me a break.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
Any item is only worth what someone will pay for it.  It is simple supply and demand.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
Craig you charge way to much. Better send me a couple for inspection so I can see if all you say is true.    :biglaugh:

I like the system very much and have talked a few bowyers into trying it myself. I guess I should have charged you for that as advertising.    :rolleyes:

It's worth every penny and probably a few pennies more.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline dakota tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
Well feel lucky it was just an email Craig!  Can you imagine the poor high school student working at Wal-Mart being pulled aside by this guy doing his Christmas shopping?!  "I can't believe you're charging this much for a toy that's made out of 29 cents of plastic ..."

And NO you're not charging too much!
What was big was not the antlers, but the chance. What was full was not the meatpole but the memory of the hunt.    --Aldo Leopold

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
In my quest for the best traveling 2 piece bow system I have had bow sleeves both brass and fiberglass, bolt together takedowns(2 piece checkmate crusader type) and the connexion hinge on my takedowns that I installed on my used Super shrews myself. I am pretty stubborn about being frugal and I am a DIY kind of guy but I can not think of anything that comes close to the bow bolt.  I have tried machining my own prototypes in my shop and its not worth the work I put into it.  I am 52 years old and have never had a new bow, some would say I am beyond frugal.  My brothers will tell you that if I could save a penny by making my own screws I wouldn't ever buy one. I have heard the words cheap uttered in the same breath with my name. I have two shrew bows on order, both with the bow bolt.  You Mr. Warren (and Mr. LaClair I must add) must be doing something right to get me to let the moths loose from my wallet.  Keep up your good work and don't second guess yourself ever again.

Offline UrsusNil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2008, 10:19:00 PM »
Depends on your cost and margin.
Joe

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
Craig,

I was thrilled when Chad Holm told me that for $200 he could install a Bow Bolt in a bow he was going to be building for me. The bow was a bargain before and after the additional cost of the Bow Bolt.

I was even more thrilled when Gregg Coffey told me he could put a Bow Bolt in my new Shrew for an additional $200. The reason I was even more thrilled was because I already had the two piece Osprey that Chad made me, and I knew how great the Bow Bolt worked. I have two more bows on order with Gregg, and both of them have been ordered with Bow Bolts. I am a little surprised that only 30% of the bows on order with Gregg include the Bow Bolt option. Gregg's bows are a bargain too for the quality of his work, and they remain a bargain with the $200 Bow Bolt upcharge.

When I was a youngster I bought a Browning semi-auto takedown .22 caliber rifle. It has the interrupted threads to take the barrel off and put it back onto the receiver with just a quarter turn -- the same idea as your Bow Bolt. I "only" paid $125 for the entire rifle just 37 years ago! Of course, a Volkswagon bug cost $1500 new back then!!!!! I know, I had one (but I bought it used from the original owner for $500). For what you sell the Bow Bolt, someone could buy a cup of coffee each morning for a month at Starbucks, and at the end of the month his entire investment would literally have gone down the toilet. My bows with the Bow Bolts are going to continue to be shot by my grandkids some day. I think that is a much better way to spend my money than to just p*** it away on fancy coffee like so many people do without a thought. Not that it bothers me if someone wants to buy his coffee at Starbucks! I go there every once in a while -- and I definitely spend too much money on things I don't need.

I am like many of the others who have responded in this thread. Let those of us who appreciate your product and think it is worth the money buy the Bow Bolts and let the do it yourselfer figure out how to make his own. I am glad you took the time, effort and money to give us a better alternative to create a two piece bow. You are fortunate to have some great bowyers like Gregg and Chad (and others) building bows that really show off the Bow Bolt. Thanks for a great product.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
myself being in the steel buisness.you can't imagine the cost of steel these days...we pay $5 each for some of the bolts we use on mining equipment because they are the best...some things just demand the best....period. so feel no shame about your price and like said,he has the option to shop elsewhere.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
If you're satisfied with how many you're selling at that price, then you're priced just right. If nobody found any value in your product at that price then you wouldn't sell any.  Seems like you could price them based on how busy you want to be.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Bear #20R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2008, 12:21:00 AM »
I would charge more than ninety five I have run non cnc mills and lathes and I know how much time goes in to a peice like that! Great idea!
There's nothing like a day hunting or stump shooting!!

Offline osiristheclown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2008, 01:08:00 AM »
The price is very reasonable for a precision component made from quality material. Funny that someone would complain about $95 for high precision that will last indefinately. A dozen good arrows will run that and you still need to assemble and tune them, yet I see no posts addressing that issue. Heck, $95 won't even buy enough cheap vinyl lattice to hide the wheels on the average trailer.........

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2008, 05:48:00 AM »
You could lower your price so that everyone could afford one plus they would still have enough money left over for a dope bag.

You might lose money on each one but you could make it up in volume.

Good Luck

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2008, 06:48:00 AM »
Here's how it will go down. The Chinese or Indians  will start flooding the market with inferior, low tolerance "knock offs" of the Bow Bolt. To recoup some of his investment Craig will have to lower the price some to increase sales volume.The patent infringement won't matter because the International law thing is too long and costly and burdensome to fight for almost any corporation let alone an individual.Craig will face bankruptcy. He won't qualify for a big bailout like the mortgage companies and auto makers because he's just too small a business.BIG bidness is where it's at. Craig closes shop, the import knockoffs go up in price and then guys stand around bemoaning the fact that there is no American made Bow stuff.

Sound about right ? It would read funny except it's likely closer to the truth than we would like to admit.
 The price is fine Craig. An old business mentor told me once that if they are going out the door quicker than you can make them , they are too cheap.Solid advise.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2008, 07:06:00 AM »
Hello Craig, nice to hear from the locals in this abyss of stickbow cyberspace.  It does get lonely.  

The verdict is clearly in from folks about that email you received.  Not to worry, in a world of overhype and overpricing the high quality and fair cost of your Bow Bolt product speaks for itself.  For those that don't already know, Craig is one of the good guys and a straight shooter all the way (both figuratively and literally).

Craig, Happy Holidays to you and yours.  Hope to see you (and the other good guys) at the Durham shoot this winter.

Offline SoNevada Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2008, 07:18:00 AM »
All I can say is "Holy Smokes"!
 You know I'm a knifemaker amongst other things and I get accused all the time of asking too much for one of my knives. But when I tell the perspective buyer to just pay me the amount per hour that he/she makes for the amount of hours I have invested, they always smile and say no!
The doom of man...that he forgets!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2008, 08:29:00 AM »
Craig....how many people have bought, or used, your bow bolt and loved it.  It reminds me of the cashier who has gone into fits of crying because a customer was nasty to her, when she had 500 who were nice.  We tend to focus on the negative, especially when it pertains to us or something we did.  The guys a bonehead, you can tell from the way he wrote the letter.  Ron White is correct, you can't fix stupid.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
  Ron White is correct, you can't fix stupid.
That about sums that one up!! dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
Graig.....didn't read the entire thread...you shouldn't worry about what that guy says.  He's clueless like most that would email you something like that, and basicaly has no manners.  I'll just leave it at that.

Best of luck to ya sir!!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
My buddies here always comment on the fact that traditonal archers are about the nicest group of folks you can ever run into.  They are also though (as a group) the cheapest bunch as well!
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
Hey if it costs x amount then that is what it is. Some people just have to bitch no matter what. I have a hard time believing that you are tiring to rip people off. Silly letter to you with no evidence to support him claim of the item being over priced.    :knothead:
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©