3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Am I charging too much  (Read 1353 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Am I charging too much
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
Your craftsmanship and quality are worth it. . . its not just a bolt, but a precision piece of equipment.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
Patrickzbower,...yeah, some folks complain to us about Trad Gang and it's FREE!!!!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by KSdan:
Your craftsmanship and quality are worth it. . . its not just a bolt, but a precision piece of equipment.
Yeah, I'd sure like a stick made out of grass (bamboo flyrod) but there's no way I can afford it.

Diamands and poo are really just the same thing...carbon, but to be safe you better buy your wife charcoal. Poo may not go over so well.

And Michelangelo's Pieta is just a rock.

(I'm getting sarcastic, but at least you got compared to Michelangelo before noon!)
Micah 6:8

Offline AndyTheCornbread

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Horne Shooter:
My buddies here always comment on the fact that traditonal archers are about the nicest group of folks you can ever run into.  They are also though (as a group) the cheapest bunch as well!
I have never understood how traditional archery places stay in business for this very reason. They are trying to sell products to a group of people that would rather make it themselves than buy just about anything. It seems like a loosing proposition, but I am glad they try because every once in a blue moon I do need something I can't make or don't have the time or experience to make as good of one as I can buy.

The bow bolt is a classic example of this. I have often thought, "why can't I just make something that allows me to retro fit my bow with a take down system", but then I get to thinking about all the alignment and durability issues and I realize I don't want to take a chance like that with a 700 dollar bow. I hadn't heard of the "Bow-bolt" before today but I took a look at your web-site and that is exactly what I want. Now I just need to find some one with the time and experience who can retrofit my Wes Wallace longbow with one of those systems because I can't afford to wreck my bow trying to install one and I don't trust my skills enough to try but rest assured when I find someone who can I will be ordering one of those bolts from you and 95 bucks is cheap at the price.

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
I used to gasp at the cost of things like shop rates. So my partner and I opened a motorcycle repair shop. Now I know why shop rates are so high. I don't question cost much any more. Either I can afford it or I can't.
Thanks Craig, for sharing the story and your reply with a breakdown on your costs. It helps people understand if they don't have first hand knowledge of such things. This has also exposed a lot of us to your product. It sounds like a great way to go. Now all I have to do is find someone who will install one for me and you will have another satisfied customer!
Merry Christmas to all and God's blessing.
Prarrie Dog

Offline Muskoxman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
I hate to say it but if you went down to your local machine shop they'd probably charge you more than $95 at $40 an hour shop time. I know it'd take me a while to make on my little lathe, inside dimensions and knurling.

Your not out of line.

John
BW PRS V 56in 56@28

---------------------------------
If it ain't one thing ,it's ten others

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
Craig, you can't please 'em all brother.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »
Nope NOT TOO HIGH.  The best always has a price
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
My personal philosophy (and this applies to everything):  If you have it and I want it then I will pay your price or do without it.  

I'd never presume to write a manufacturer to complain about a product that I had not already purchased.  Pay the money and if it don't work as advertised then you have a reason to complain.  It's as simple as that.  If you can't/won't afford it, then join the rest of the folks who want in one hand and spit in the other.  

This type person typifies where we are going wrong as a civilization.  They believe "if I can't afford it, it should be provided to me".  Sounds like the same kinda guy that wants redistribution of wealth - AKA: a handout.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
I'm a small business operator myself and I have run across people and e-mails like this before.

E-mails like the one you are referencing always sound the same...a bipolar-type of writing style.  They praise you in one statement and then bash you in the next.  I think it is just the short circuits within some individuals brains who have too much time on their hands.  They say stuff that they would never say to your face.  

Charge what you think what it is worth above your cost.  Don't give it a second thought and don't ever try to justify it to these people they are a waste of your time.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »
Craig,
You just keep up the good work and ignore those that don't understand...we can only hope they eventually remove themselves from the gene pool.
homebru

Offline Pruneemac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »
the guy is obviously a looser. Dont sweat it

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
Yep, you are charging too much. You need to sell em too me for $20.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
The ice storm here in Maine knocked us off the internet for most of yesterday and this morning I got back on and it took me almost an hour to read all of your comments.  All I can say is WOW! and thank you all for your feedback and encouragement.

This Trad Gang "family" is incredible. Terry and Rob and and all the rest involved have made it possible for us ALL to share ideas and offer encouragement as you have here.  A big THANK YOU to them.  In the end, I think that's what keeps most of us wanting to improve.  

Oh, about the guy that wrote the e-mail that prompted me to start this topic. I received another e-mail from him this morning.  I'll include it below.  Remember that old saying "all is well that ends well?"  Here's the e-mail.

Dear Craig,
            I would like to sincerely say you are absolutly right. The cost of the patent and achieving one ( all the time and B/S) let alone product insurance just to safly get it to the market would be obstaclerific. ( coined that myself!) I love the simplicity of the darned thing, i see it on many, many future trad T/D bows. If the system is safe, the simplicity definitly makes it reliable. Now that you informed me of the general production costs, I must say, " i will purchase one of these if it seems as good as it does seem" as well as when i have that kind of play money to put towards that kind of packability upgrade. You respectfully delivered your reasoning to me of the price, even with my blunt, straight forewardness. Craig, I WANT ONE NOW!!! take care and thanks for your time,

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
Hey Mike,

Let's do it.  How many do you want?  According to Rico's earlier post, I will make it up in volume.

"You could lower your price so that everyone could afford one........
You might lose money on each one but you could make it up in volume."  

I really never quite understood how that works,  do you?  

Craig

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
in the trucking industry (my former life) the joke used to be "we are losing a penny a mile but we'll make it up on volume".

No truer words other than "wherever you go, there you are" have ever been spoken in my humble opinion!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
I use to think the price custom Bowyers charged was ridiculous until I started making my own. Now I think there a bargain. My bows ,and all the work involved sure didn't turn out like a custom Blacktail. Theres also an element involved called talent. My friend your price IS NOT out of line. I wonder if this fella has ever tried making something himself ?
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
Ray,
I've heard and used that one myself a few times.  No truer words for sure and I'M COMING DOWN TO HUNT PIGS WITH YOU IN MARCH "AND THERE I'LL BE."  Can't wait, but from what I am hearing, I'm going to need my regular hunting clothes on the trip going down, (size large) and some size XXL for the trip back.  What's for dinner?
Craig

Offline longbowjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
Craig-  I have been a machinist-mold maker for 18 years, and a bowyer for 10.  I have developed my owm T/D hinges.  I have hundres of thousands of dollars of machinery availably to me every night to do as I please.  After building a few of my own, I dedcided that it was cheeper to buy a T/D system from someone else.  Keep doing what you're doing.  JD

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
It's actually very nice to see that the fellow we have all been concerned about really is a pretty decent guy. It sounds like he thought the Bow Bolt was a good product, but he just couldn't understand why it cost so much until it was explained to him. Then he actually admitted his earlier impressions were wrong and that Craig was very reasonable. I don't like the way he went about things initially, but if we had more people who would listen to the facts and be willing to change their minds, this country would be a better place. Most people want to ignore facts and logic and stick to their beliefs no matter what. Most of us would probably like that guy if we ever met him. Now he needs to buy a Bow Bolt and get to enjoy the quality of such an outstanding product!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©