3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Am I charging too much  (Read 1354 times)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Am I charging too much
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
Yep Craig, a couple of telephone retirees down here decide to make some money on watermelons.  They drove down to S. TX and bought the mellons for .75 a piece.  The trip down cost them an average of .25 per mellon.  So they had $1 in each of them.  They got back and set up a roadside stand with the mellons priced at $2.  Turned out that Walmart was having a sale for mellons at 1.25 and soon the ones in the truck were getting mighty ripe.  The guys decided to drop the price to sell em fast.  ended up selling the whole truck load to a guy for hog feed at .60 per mellon.

When the did the books later they came to one conclusion. . . yep gotta get a bigger truck.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
im shure on the production difference but a set of precision reloading dies is around 50 to 80 bucks and that includes three dies and im shure the tollerences are equal with the bow bolt,  
i dont know the differences in production, and im shure the suply and demand vary greatly but im sure a quality product could be sold for less

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
Jason,
I do some reloading myself and you are correct about the tollerences but there are a lot more steps in production for the Bow Bolt and each half is quite different from the other but the main difference price wise is volume.  In order to get the price to where it is, I have to order at least 400 at a time.  I'll bet Dillon or RCBS makes ten times those numbers in each run.  

I promise, I will reduce the price when I can make that many at a time.

Perhaps you or someone else out there can think of another application for the Bow Bolt, like maybe in the auto or avation industry (well, maybe not the auto industry right now).  My patent attourny suggested naming the Bow Bolt  "Precision Alligning Fastener" instead so it might appeal to a larger market knowing that the Trad Archery industry is pretty small in comparison.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
How about marketing a 2pc cane for airline travel Craig? Sell it to pool cue makers. Etc etc.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
Got to say I'm appaled at most of the comments on here about this. I'm surprised that some guys sell anything with the opinons that were espoused on this thread.

Mr. Warren, I have no idea if your product is over priced or not, as I don't use it. However I think you were correct in the way you responded to the customer. It's nice to see that some on here still believe in "CUSTOMER SERVICE"

I'm very disappointed in some of the responces I've read from folks that I know PERSONALLY.
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »
David,

Good ideas.   They would have to be "miniturized" a bit for a pool cue, I think.

They'd think it was some kind of weapon at the airlines.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
Medical forms for that Warren.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »
i figured it had something to do with the volume,  as for pool cues they dont have to be in any perticular alignment just dead center,
i love the idea of the bow bolt i just hate the idea of choping my shrew in half, ouch.

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
Jason,

Please don't cut that Shrew in half.  Either Gregg Coffee or John McCollough made that bow in the first place and they are two of the best bowyers in the business.  Give either a call and I'm sure they would be happy to build you one from the ground up with one in it.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
I think sales will dictate if its over priced or not. I'm sure you are not selling them to break even or to make a marginal profit...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
not read through everything
but i have had several take down longbows buy far the best is my shrew with bow-bolt that Gregg did..its is a GREAT take down system..and bow for that matter that's why i have another on order with bolw-bolt
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2008, 12:03:00 AM »
I had the same question asked of me from a fellow Fletcher a year or so back. In a nutshell I was making arrows like this ...

... and selliing them at @ $145.00 Aussie Dollars that included postage to their door.

I just explained to him that my hourly rate when Formsetting was $45.00 and it use to take me between 5 and 6 hours to make a full set of arrows. So after the cost of shafts, nocks and the likes I was running at a loss. Funny how I had a backlog of orders though...

I've stoped making arrows for clients now days but people still ask me for 'em.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Al, you make a good point.  It takes me a long time to make a dozen matched and half way pretty arrows for myself.  If I paid myself a decent wage I'd have to charge $500 per dozen. I don't know how guys do it   :) ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©