3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "SCENT SKINNY"  (Read 582 times)

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
"SCENT SKINNY"
« on: December 11, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »
I’m kinda new to this whole scent thingy, short of using it for trapping lures. Here in Wyoming for me anyway, using scents is a very foreign concept. My scent covers and alike YES I do ascribe to that whole concept.     :scared:        :scared:      

I have heard a lot lately of you folks freshening up yer scrapes with recycled coffee and soda waters.

So help a newbie out What’s the “Scent Skinny”      :help:

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "SCENT SKINNY"
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
:wavey:

Are you snowed in Vance ol buddy because thats some heavy thinkin right there. But I know what you mean.  ;)  

Tracy  :coffee:
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
Hey Vance Ol Buddy,  This is what I think to your questions but you know what they say about opinions... LOL  
#1  I think blood smells the same but the other scents from the animal that falls with it is how they differentiate the scents.

#2 The blood until the scent gets scarce and see #1 for the rest.

The Cloudy Area... LOL  I may have to PM you with my response.
  :goldtooth:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
These are thoughtful questions. I believe blood smells the same but that is just an opinion. I have a bloodtracking dog and I try to get the dog started on blood. The dog also associates the blood with the track smell and I believe she will track the blood if available. If the blood quits she is able to continue on that deers particular track. I am sure every individual deer smells different just as humans do. We all know any juvenile animal is able to find its mother and vice versa reinforcing that theory.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
OK, I knew when I thunk this up, I couldn't just be general bout it. SO to muddy the water a bit further.

I have a chance to pick up a BUNCH of scents locally at a very discounted price. How ever if they won't work for our hunting out here, I just as well spend the money on "OLD SPICE" and do some CHICK HUNTIN    :biglaugh:  

AN NO I ain't gonna buy it just ta send it to you guys  

Now about the Blood Stuff....Today Mr.Shrew and  I had to relocate a Porcupine. In the process there was a bunch of Red body fluid left behind.

After the relocation, 2 song Dogs came up the Creek and followed it to where I loaded it for transportation to the Freezer. To my mind it was very interesting. Step for step they followed the drag line, like they were on a string, even though MY Scent was there also. Question ?... Blood or Scent?

Now another Scenario....Say I want to dispose of some Wolf Blood on an old Cow carcass would just the Blood keep the lesser predators away???

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
Dang Bull, we need to talk  :smileystooges:

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
Wups

Save your money    :readit:

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
For training blood trailing dogs we use ANY blood. Go to the locker and get beef blood for laying training tracks. The dog will follow blood when we think it has stopped bleeding there is still blood scent from tiny amounts rubbing off the wounded critter.

If you want to scare or attract a certain species you can use scat. (Disclaimer; this will not work your Saturday night date, stick to Old Spice).

When doe in heat scent first came out, my cousin Phil doused his boots in it and walked to his stand, climbed up, turned around and shot a buck. Said later that he was really glad he did not stop to ties his shoe.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
When doe in heat scent first came out, my cousin Phil doused his boots in it and walked to his stand, climbed up, turned around and shot a buck. Said later that he was really glad he did not stop to ties his shoe. [/QB][/QUOTE]

:biglaugh:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline GR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 07:01:00 AM »
Back to the blood. Wouldn't diet play some factor in the scent of blood as it does with other fluids.

Offline outbackbob48

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 07:53:00 AM »
Iron Bull, If you really want to cloud the issue , where does common scence(scents) come to play. Actually you bringing some very good questions to the table, I also do some trapping an the more answer that I seek the more questions I have. Good Luck Bob

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
OK Shaun....I'll play, was cousin Phil hunting Mule Deer or Whitetails ? Which scent was he using? Did his Buck know the Difference.

So with your puppy trainin what your tellin me is, that all blood smells the same and they are keying on the scent of BLOOD...correct

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »
correct

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
I think,,,blood is blood, p is p

as for estrous p....I would think pheromones would come into play, and would be somewhat specie specific,,,to a point.

Curiosity kills more than just cats though.

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
What you up to Brother Vance....trying to turn Andy into a bloodhound???       IMHO I wouldn't buy any large amounts of scents cause I don't believe they have a real long shelf life.

Offline DaveBriner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
For training purposes, blood is blood.  The animal will key on the blood.  However, to be anal about it all, there are many other factors in blood that will put off their own scent.  While most of those factors are the same across species and different sexes, their relative amounts however are not.  I believe if you wanted to, you could train a dog with a good nose to only follow female or male tracks.  Or you could train them to follow only deer blood and not cow blood.
My 2cents,
Dave
A man's worth can be determined by the number of friends at his funeral- unless they all hunt too!!

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
I agree with DaveB.

To be as realistic as possible you would need blood and scent from the glands of the animal you are training your dog to trail. Do you need to be this picky? Nope, most dogs that have a good trailng instinct will trail most any scent from a prey animal.
When you add blood to the mix, I beleive over time it adds to the excitement for the trailing dog. To start with blood is just another smell to a dog.

A dogs instinct kicks in if he's trailing prey animals, I'm convinced they know the difference between the smell of a predator and prey animals.
Some pups liver will quiver at the smell of a big predator but they will blow up and run the track of a deer 20 feet away.

You can stretch the shelf life of scent by hiding it from your wife in the fridge, it shortens your life if she gives it the smell test when she finds it.

This is good stuff, can't help but make us better hunters to know what our prey smells.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
As far as doe in heat sents for white tail or mule deer. No experiance but where both types cross over in habitat you will have a hybread mix deer. Therefore you would think one sent would work for both.

Just a thought
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Robin,
  :scared:  .  Of course it might have something to do with that glandular kitty scent you recommended.

Vance, what Pops said.  In the mid eighties the whities invaded what was traditional mule deer country in Adams County Idaho, their was some really differnt looking deer running around.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Ophs!
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©