3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "SCENT SKINNY"  (Read 583 times)

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "SCENT SKINNY"
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
:D  Walt, my bride checks the fridge every time she hears me open it. I can't even use the washer after she found coyote hair in the babys diapers years ago. Dang she's got a long memory.

Hope the scent is working well for you. Are you packing your longbow behind those pups this winter?

Vance, if you ever get the chance to go with a bloodhound and his handler go for sure. It will really give you something to think about. They say the bears have a nose equeal to the bloodhound.

Offline foxchef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
Is the "Old Spice" used as a cover scent or an attractor?   :smileystooges:
Luck is preparedness meeting opportunity and opportunity is always present! -Earl Nightengale

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
I don't know much about the scents used for whitetails, my small area of knowledge comes from blending scents used for trapping.

In this area most scents or lures have a base or carryer scent. It enhances the other scents you blend in. It would bring animals in on it's own but thats not it's job. Three of the most used are , beaver castor, skunk essence, and whale ambergrass or whale throwup. The last being the most valuable and hardest to get. These same carryers are used in the purfume industry (or a chemical copy of it)

I doubt we will ever know the full effects these scents have on wildlife or dogs for that matter.
My blends that I mix for personal use on predators sure work, the folks working with prey animal lures are fast catching up to what the lure manufacture industry has been working on for the last hundred or so years.

No one lure will bring in every target animal in every location, but some sure work on a high percentage.

Offline lodestar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
No Scents is Good Scents. Thats my motto. Just found that over my years of experience there are just to many what ifs that can happen. IMHO Jason

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
on the scrapes, freshing them yourself definitly works for a period of time that i believe will give you a good window of oprtuntity for a shot. i had a 6 point work a scrape for 5 days in a row, i pee'd in this scrape every morning and he hit it every night, got it all on trail cam, the deer that is, not me!  :scared:   also figured out if you want to make sure he will NEVER visit the crape again ley your dogs pee in it!  :banghead:   after i let the dogs whiz in the scrape he would not touch it but would walk around it at a distance, had this on trail cam too. funny thing is does still put their nose right in it.  :confused:
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
Vance, I have trained a couple of dogs to blood trail and had them pass the German test - minimum four hours old and 500 yards long. Had to use treats of pieces of hot dogs to get the dog to stay on blood trails when training. They loose interest if there is no reward. After completing the trail I would give the pup the rest of the pack of hot dogs. About the third time they quit picking up the pieces along the trail and just pull the lead all the way to the end for the big pay off.

For very young pups you can take meat from the freezer and when its thawed use the blood from the package to lay a short trail with the meat trimmings at the end.

Cousin Phil was hunting white tails here in Iowa, but I suspect mulies get stupid for a week or so too.

Offline doug g

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
Big thing with the doe in heat is it being used when deer are not in breeding cycle. It will tend to alert the deer that something ain't right. But I do use a scent called Deer Herd in a Stick, Put out by Border Crossings. Works real well cause it smells just like a bedding area of a deer herd. Makes them curious of who the new deer is both bucks and does!
TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©