3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String  (Read 540 times)

Offline Boswell

• Trad Bowhunter
String
« on: March 07, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
Hi guys, In new to traditional, Ive shot a compound all my life and Im wanting to get into traditional and I bought a used long bow and im looking to get a new string. I have no clue what type of string and where would I get one? if it matters I shot a 62in 55lb longbow.
Thanks Guys

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
First of all Welcome
What bow you shooting?
There are several folks here that make strings.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
Welcome over from the dark side. Most modern longbows can accept fastflight string materials, but the best bet is to contact the bowyer. Not sure of the best place to buy a string, since I make my own, but check the sponsor's list at the top of the page. Several of them can supply a great string.

Shooting trad is a disease. you'll have more than one bow before it's over.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
Length should be 59" if it's a 62" AMO bow. Just need to know if it's Fast Flite or not.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Boswell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »
I shoot a Jim Johnson Legend longbow It was a custom bow that I bought used, and im new to longbows so I don't know about matterial types in strings or if there is a difference. If someone was willing to build me a string, that would be great.
Thanks
Boswell

Offline OKCtradguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
Be careful with subtracting 3" from the AMO because some bowyers hold to the AMO standard rather loosely.

Bob, do you have an existing string on the bow that you can measure?  If so, measure from the end of one loop to the end of the other with the string off the bow.  If the existing string is already the correct length, life is good.  However, if the brace height is a little high, you will need to get the string a little longer to bring the brace height down.
Glenn

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
The Legend longbows built after 90-92 are all FF compatible is what Jim told me, called him and ask him when I had mine.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline Boswell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
I talked with Jim just a few min ago, and he said the bow i have is FF compatible but that the string might be a little loud, but I would expect that with a gain in speed and also that I would need a 58 inch string...so now I need string reconmendations and where to get one.
Thanks
Boswell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©