3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tannery  (Read 610 times)

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
Tannery
« on: December 13, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
My son trapped his first coyote.   We are not going to sell it we are looking for a place to send it to get tanned.   He wants to make a quiver out of it.    Where is a good place that will do a good job tanning it.     Also,  can I freeze the hide and shipp it in a foam cooler?  

Thanks,   Jim and Logan
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tannery
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
Ask your local taxidermist, he might point you in the right direction!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline outbackbob48

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
702plmo, I sent 5 coyotes to Moyle Taxidemy in Idaho an had them garmet tanned an they came back in beautiful shape. I trapped these an skinned a dryed also, but I do believe you can send raw furs. Contact them nice people to deal with beautiful job of tanning. Later Bob

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
thanks guys.   this yote was big for this area.  he was 46 lbs.  

Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
I agree, Moyle Mink Tannery does a great job and at a reasonable price.  They will finish raw furs but they charge almost twice as much I think.

Find a local trapper that can help your son flesh and dry the coyote and save a little cash.  Finnishing fur is something every trapper should learn or at least be exposed too.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »
I send mine to a place in Salt Lake city.  Surely here is a tannery closer to ya.
Damn Nice guy

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
Good looking Yote,  No rubs on the neck.  It will make a fine quiver.

Congrats young man   :thumbsup:  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
Dang doggie would make a fine sleeping bag! That's a big'n.

Killdeer   :eek:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
Nice Coyote! All of my African animals went to The Wildlife Gallery Inc in Michigan! They did an excellent job! I believe thats where my Buck I shot this year is headed as well! Check em out!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
A 35# coyote around here is a big yote! I had one tanned a couple of years ago. After that I will be tanning my own from now on. Over a year wait for a coyote pelt?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
Just curious but how much does it run for getting one done up?I got a quote from my local guy to do one and I told him not on his best day would I pay that.Especially when a deer costs $129 w/o the hair.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 06:16:00 PM »
USA FOXX in MN 1-800-USA-FOXX

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »
most local taxidermists send the hides out to be tanned. Moyle is a good chose as well as USA FOX, i have had good luck with both. also you might want to have the taxidermist skin it for you with the paws on, they do an excellent job. i sent one i shot to Aronald Furs and they made me a full length mountain man hat. hat was so warm that i couldn't wear it while walking a lot but was great for sitting on stand!

I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline outbackbob48

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
Vtmntman, I paid $22 / coyote plus shipping, I figure I had less than $30/coyote. I did skin , flesh , dry and stretch my own furs, I skinned out the feet also, It's a real pain but makes a nice hide when done this way. I sold these for $85 an did better this way than selling furs to auction house. Coyotes are kinda novelty here so people want one for the den, or man cave. I also had 4 skunks done up an they were $17 plus shipping an I had a hard time getting $30 for these. Pretty nasty to skin an flesh, you won't have to many people wanting to set with ya for breakfast. It's all just part of being a trapper. Good Luck Bob

Offline outbackbob48

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
Hey Ken, I saw one of those hats the other day an it felt really warm. I think they look really good. Nothing can beat natural furs for looks an warmth in my opinion. Later Bob

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
that hat was a favorite of mine but i made the mistake of wearing it to my friends house and his young daughter fell in love with it. had to give it to her! my buddy said she slept with it every night and still does. guess it went where it belongs.

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
Im taking it to a friend of mine that has a furbarn.  were gonna skin, flesh and stretch it.    I have skinnned several yotes over the years.      

Where would a guy get one of those hats made?
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
i had it made by Aronald Furrs who i believe has a web site. they did it at a great price if you send them the tanned hide, if they tan it i believe it was very expensive. the hat was quilt lined and made VERY well, great stiching, heavy duty. no hair loss and fit great.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
If your son will be using the face of the yote in his quiver design, make sure you remove the cartilage from the ears and salt or boarax them well.  If not the hair will slip during the drying process.

Trap

Offline Charles Sorrells

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
Arlington Cape in Ohio did bear for me a few years ago and i am hapy with it.  I copied this contact information from another site.

arlington cape 110 w. liberty st. po box 111 arlington ohio 45814 - phone 419 365 5321
"When the Lord is your guide, you never hunt alone."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©