3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow draw length ??  (Read 379 times)

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow draw length ??
« on: December 13, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
I have a draw of 30.5".What would the length of a longbow would be best? I read on AT that I should go 2.3 x 30.5 to get the length. This shows a little over 70". Can I get by with a 68" or does this just depend on the bow( type of wood)? I dont want to get one that wont work for me....Thanks Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow draw length ??
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
First, how did you determine your draw? If this is what you draw a compound, you will need to subtract about an inch and a half for a trad bow. That would make your draw 29".

I don't agree with that calculation anyway. I draw 28", which should mean 64.4" bows. I seem to do best with my Kanati's at 58". According to Jason's website a 60" Kanati is good for up to a 31" draw.

The more bows I try the better I like my Kanati's. I wouldn't be afraid of a 60" Kanati if I were you, even if you do draw 30.5".
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
I draw 30.5" on my recurves. I thought I read somewhere that if lets say an osage bow is marked at 28" it shouldnt be drawn to 30.5".
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline Bojangles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
Good qustions.  I would like to see the answers on this as I draw 29 1/2 inches.  Was wondering on bow length also.

Bo
USAF Retired
1968 - 1991

Offline KY..Rob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
I think a lot of it depends on bow design! a bow with a more forward handle wil give you more options with the longer draws on  shorter bows due to the limb angles.

I can see needing a longer bow if your shooting a Hill style bow with straight limbs and grip.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
Are you talking a selfbow?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
I did mean a selfbow. Sorry about that, I should have put that in at the start.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
A 66-inch hybrid longbow with lots of reflex/deflex would work for your draw; 68 inches would be better in my opinion.  In a straight bow with a little setback like a Hill, you could probably get by with a 68-inch bow, but 70 inches would probably be better.  Now a lot of guys will tell you they're shooting bows 4-6-inches shorter than this with 30 inch draws with no finger pinch.  I don't know how that's possible.  Regardless, drawsing a 60-62-inch longbow/hybrid to 30 plus inches puts a lot of stress on the limbs and riser.  With today's modern materials, most will probably hold up, but a longer bow will just be more pleasant to shoot IMO.  Good luck.

Oops.  Just saw your update re self-bow.  There I would definitely recommend a 68-70-inch bow for a 30-inch draw.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
That being the case, you'd probably want to stick with the formula. I don't have any experience with selfbows, so I can't help you there.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
I agree with orion. My longbow is 70" and i find this best for me(6'-2" tall, 6'-4" wing span).I have issues with finger pinch with a glove. I really like a glove for hunting. Many bows made now are designed for long draws that are short. Short bows are less likely to hit a branch or be restricted by cramped spaces. I just find works for me. You need to try a bunch out. Some bows are great at certain draws and terrible at longer draws. I think longer bows at longer draws works better.
R

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
I dont really have much access to different longbows or selfbows here. We have 3 shops within 30 miles of me and the only thing I found trad were feathers and 1 pack of glue on BHs.

Offline tradwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »
Try to find someone on tradgang in your area. That's what i'd do. Otherwise i'd plan on a weekend trip to a decent shop-call them up and make an appointment and explain your plan-they will probably be very accomodating. Ask around on here, I'm sure it will be worth your while. Unfortunately, it's winter and not always the best travelling weather.
Good luck.

Offline TradOnly

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Life Insurance Agent
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
I have a 30" draw and use a 62" Savannah.  Martin customed it for my poundage at my draw.  No pinch, stack, or shock but I shoot 3 under.
Martin Savannah Longbow 50# @ 29"
Martin Savannah Stealth 55# @ 28"
Griffin Takedown 52# @ 28"
Easton Bloodline 330

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »
Longbows and selfbows will give you a shorter draw because of the handle shape. With a high wrist recurve grip you hand extends forward about an extra inch.

For a selfbow, the bow needs to be made for a specific draw length. The length of the working portion of the limb is more important than the overall length of the bow. A bend-in-the-handle design with a circular tiller could be quite short and still pull 31" while a fixed center riser style with stiff tips and an elliptical tiller shape would have to be very long.

If you are talking glass longbows, there is no special formula, its all design. You could get a Shrew or similar bow to pull 31" from a 60" bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©