3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: can't shoot a longbow  (Read 1141 times)

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
can't shoot a longbow
« on: December 13, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
I have tried and tried to shoot my hornes brushbow but i just can't keep my groups together outside of 12 yards. I started off with a ben pearson recurve... thinking of going back to it.
Is there that big of a difference for some people between longbow and recurve.
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: can't shoot a longbow
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
It's usually a grip issue.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
i agree with vermonster.... the grip is usually the problem... if i remember right that brushbow has somewhat of a narrow throat (i could be wrong)... .. thats assuming your arrows are spined correctly for your bow...... good luck and keep at it!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline lebecnal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
Yeah, the grip is the difference, but it's the anchor of the grip that makes longbows different from recurves. On a recurve, your pivot-point or anchor is in the "saddle" between thumb and first finger, but on a longbow, it's in the palm. This changes the relationship of the bowhand and the arrow.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
Do not feel left out,LOL. I cannot shoot a longbow worth squat anymore. For me it is the mass weight of my custom recurves. Longbows feel too light and I just cannot shoot them consistantly. Strange since I shot longbows exclusively for many,many years then one day everything went to crap so switched to a curve and everything is fine.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline lebecnal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
Out past 12 yards, the arrow on a longbow tends to go up diagonally to the side opposite your shooting hand. It'll just take awhile for the brain to adjust to this concept!

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
Can be a HUGE difference for some...

You can shoot your longbow well.. Make sure your set up is correct. Spine must be correct with a non centershot longbow. Need some specs.

Bow draw weight?
Draw lenght?
shaft spine?
tip weight?
bow brace height?
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
I generally shoot a 'curve better too, but can adapt either way and shoot well. Assuming everything is tuned, correct spine, etc. try this; Get both the the LB and the Pearson out, ready to shoot. Draw your LB and anchor as you would your Pearson,just as you would when about to release, stop for a few seconds, hold, and look at the arrow tip in relation to your target. Then do the same w/ the Pearson. Do this several times until you realize the difference in the two and adjust your bow arm w/ the LB to place the tip of the arrow in the same position as the Pearson that you shoot well. Practice this until you become accustomed to the slightly altered bow arm position. In other words, shoot the arrow, not the bow.

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »
I'm just the opposite. I shoot a longbow much better than any recurve I've owned.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
For most it's what Danny said..Mass weight...Any movement you do with your bow hand will be magnified with less mass..But nothing in stone says a longbows HAS to be lighter in mass other then perceptions....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 02:19:00 AM »
I guess I'm just the opposite. I can't shoot my recurves worth a darn. But, shoot my longbows very well. I started out on longbows so maybe that's it.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 02:19:00 AM »
Try putting a bow quiver full of arrows on it and see if that helps. Sometimes the added mass is all you need.

And don't peek!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
I found in-depth reviews of the Hornes Archery Brushbow in the Dec/Jan 2007 issue of Traditional Bowhunter, the Feb/March 2007 issue of African Archer & Adventurer, and in the Bow Reports by Blacky Schwarz.  The Brushbow is fairly heavy with a reflex-deflex design, a recurve style 17inch riser, a tournament specification sight window, a recurve pistol grip, and a recurve friendly brace height. The Brushbow appears to be a departure from a traditional longbow in all areas, being more akin to a recurve except for the limb tips.

I am curious as to which type of recurve you are shooting well, and how does that particular recurve differ in riser, grip, weight, etc. from your Brushbow? You may be running into issues with your basic bow set-up and tune more so than difference in bow design. If your Brushbow is set-up correctly and tuned well, I'm at a bit of a loss as to how you'd run into problems if the only difference between this and your recurve is the limb tips.

When choosing backpacks, boots, baseball bats, rifle stocks, etc.; you'll sometimes find that selected gear which works exceedingly well for some, will be a complete abysmal failure for others. Selecting a bow is no different and maybe this is what you are experiencing:)

Good Luck,

Daddy Bear

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
I'm very surprised that your having a hard time shooting a Horne's Brushbow. I owned two Brushbows, and presently shoot a Horne's Traditionalist Longbow. Out of all my bows I probably shoot the Horne's the most acccurate. The riser/handle is perfect in my hand.Anyway it does have a high brace height and most people do in fact shoot them well.My other Longbows have a lower brace height 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 .I have some Trad Ganger Buds that can't shoot them to save their lives because of that. If you really shoot your recurve better I'd say you have a big decision to make. Good Luck! Try like 30coupe says and put a quiver on it. It just may balance the bow a little better.Make sure your arrow nock doesn't slide on the string, correct brace height, anchor, and a good release is vital. Your arrows are correct for the bow as well?

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
I can't either.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
Me either   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
Okay, I just went to the Horne's website. Now you have to add me to the I don't get it group. Here is an image, thanks to Photoshop, of the Brushbow with a Ridgerunner recurve superimposed next to it. The Brushbow is more recurve than longbow.

If you are having trouble with it, it's not because it's a longbow. There are other issues at play here: tuning, nock set, brace height, string, archer, etc.

Maybe you can't shoot that longbow for whatever reason, but I don't think it's inherent to longbows.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
I'm just the opposite,I can't shoot a recurve as good as my longbows.Like said for me it is a grip preference.I shoot my Kohannah Kurve just fine because it is more like a 50's style recurve,but much prefer the grip of longbows whether straight,dish or locator more then recurve type grips.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
I won't say I can't shoot a longbow......but I sure can't shoot one well.   :knothead:

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
I have the same problem and I agree with Vermonster about it being a grip issue. I am much better with a recurve, but still have a long way to go!

Ok, just looked at the above pictures. Do their longbows "feel" similar to their recurves while drawing and are they cut the same amount to center?

-Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©