3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need help Id'ing these BH's...  (Read 798 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help Id'ing these BH's...
« on: March 07, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »
Hey all....I know someone out there knows the make and specifics of these. Any help would greatly be appreciated. The ferrule is aluminum I believe....the pics tell the rest. I remember these on my dad's arrows for as long as I can remember.....30 + years now. Im thinking about trying to put one or two through a turkey but I would love any info you guys have. Thanks in advance!

"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help Id'ing these BH's...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
Something in the back of my brain keeps saying "Blackhawk" when I see those. I do know the name and used to have a bunch of them, probably when your dad did...but the brand name  is elusive right now. If I get a "flash" of clear memory I will repost unless some collector beats me to it.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
Here we have a "Silencer MK4", probably #1138 when I read the ferrule lenght in your pic correct.
It was a low cost head at the end of the 1960th. I never shoot one but have some in my collection, the later screw-in version also, which is worse as far as ferrules integrity is concerned.
"The book" says about the Silencer, it was patented by Bill Doonan in 1957, granted in 1959. It took ten years until it was produced by Midwestern Engineering from 1969 on.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
If they were your Dad's,I'll bet they got some MOJO!!!!!

Glue'em on and Let'em fly Jamie!!!!!   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
Yea!!!...Just What Chuck Said!!!...MOJO!!!... :thumbsup: ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
Looks to me that its an Indian.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
I was thinking MOJO myself guys! I think I will use em.
I also have about three dozen "old" arrows...Im going to re-fletch em as they are, and maybe try them out too. They are something else.
Thanks for the input everyone.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
Falk has it nailed.  They are Silencers.  Have a whole box of them assembled and in pieces. They can be a pain to get centered on a shaft because of the fluted ferrule.

Send me a PM with your address Jamie and I'll send you a dozen or so spare bleeders for them.  The bleeders also work great for small game heads.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
Well, i'm here with Wade's book and they sure look like the Silencer mark IV, but the picture shows a ferrule that is pretty parallel up to the last third,   Others are not shown well (side views)and some of the other Silencer heads sure enough have tapered ferrules, so I can't say for sure.  BTW.  In the section for Indian, it states that the Indian is actually made with Silencer parts, and it changed along with the changes in the Silencer  (there was a lot of that back then).  The Pix for the Indian heads ALL show the bleeder blades as inverted, that is, the main blade is exactly the same, but the bleeders are like a big "V" shape with the wings pointing forward.   This is not one of those Indians, at least in that respect.
ChuckC

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
Thanks guys. The ferrule on these...how do I explain it....looks fluted? I noticed that they are difficult to get straight on the shaft...but I think I will manage. Again, thanks everyone.
                         -Jamie

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
BTW...anyone happen to know their grain weight being as I dont have agrain scale yet? LOL. Thanks again...
                         -Jamie

Offline Kevin Lawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
Shot my first deer with one of them. The tip curled.   :D

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
Yeah I doubt I will ever use em on deer or similar sized game...should work ok for toms come spring time. Thanks though...I was kinda skeptical about their toughness.
                         -Jamie

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
Wade's book doesn't list weight for these heads.
Sorry
ChuckC

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
I'll weigh 'em up for you when I get home.  I want to say they were 150.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 03:29:00 AM »
Weight? Hard to tell from the distance! Problem is, ferr. length varies from 1.73" to 2.05" and two kinds of bleeders can be found. One with a small (.59") and one with a bigger (.74") vent. Can't see that from your pic.
I weighted two for you which I have at hand, maybe you've got the same combination?!

1.78" ferr., .74" vent = 137gr
1.90" ferr., .59" vent = 150gr

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
Thanks Falk....that will do nicely! I really appreciate yours and everyone else's help with this. I will surely let ya know if I get a bird in May.
                         -Jamie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©