3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got a turkey, now what  (Read 234 times)

Offline gatorgar

• Trad Bowhunter
Got a turkey, now what
« on: December 15, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »
Went out hunting with Coon007 this weekend and he got lucky in having a hen get too close to his stand, Did you know that a Magnus thru the neck drops them quick   :bigsmyl:  .  Anyways I remember seeing on here where someone takes whole wings and sends you vanes in return.  I cut the wings at the breast and removed as much of the meat as I could and then covered the whole, stump (I guess) in Borax to save them.  
Where can I send the wings to get turned into feathers for our arrows.  Thanks for the info...and I know that this thread is useless without pics, i'll get them up as soon as I can.
Sarrel's BlueRidge Takedown Longbow 3pc
62" 53#@28"
Easton XX75 400   250gr up front
Have you noticed that the times you don't get nothing while hunting, are usually the most fun you've ever had.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got a turkey, now what
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
I have seen different threads on this, someone will give you an answer.  In regards to the 3 wing bone in each wing.  Don't throw them away.  If you don't have any use for them, send them to me, as I make turkey wing bone calls out of them.  Hen bone work better that toms.  If your up to it, just send me an email and I will give you my address.  Bone them out as good as you can then rub some Borax on them and I will take care of the rest.  :pray:

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
Custom Feathers.  They're a sponsor here.
 http://www.customfeathers.com/trade.htm

Offline gatorgar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
Talondale, thanks for the website, I knew he was on here somewhere and I even remembered his instructions and followed them to a T. I just couldn't remember where to send them.
acolobowhunter, I'll get you a set of the wingbones in the mail as soon as they dry out some.  It's cold and humid down here, so it might take a day or two.  I covered them in Borax and have them laying under a table lamp at home to speed up the drying process.
Here is a pic of the hen Coon007 took this past weekend.  Bob Lee Signature takedown 46#@28" Magnus 125 on a carbon express 400

edited because I forgot to add the pic    :knothead:
Sarrel's BlueRidge Takedown Longbow 3pc
62" 53#@28"
Easton XX75 400   250gr up front
Have you noticed that the times you don't get nothing while hunting, are usually the most fun you've ever had.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »
Where's his head?! Did you shoot it off?!!! If so, great shot!

I have used Raven Arrows for making them into fletchings. They do a great job of chopping and grinding them. Their number is 208-256-4341. Tom and Jan are good folks.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©