3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big busted up bucks!!!!  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Chad Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
Big busted up bucks!!!!
« on: January 02, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
Well, this year was one that I want to forget but the there was a bit of light. I saw the biggest typical ever. Easy 190 inch buck. Well, two days after I saw the buck (that buck breeding a doe of all things) a rancher I know who had seen this buck all summer long told me he saw it, and it's right beam was busted. I said to myself, no way. Well, I was out pheasant hunting this past weekend and saw the one and only. He made it through both rifle seasons but he was totally busted up yet chasing a doe! What a stud. He lost all of his splendor but was still showing his dominance. His right side was gone, totally! His left side had maybe 15 inches of the main beam and one 12 inch tine left. I couldn't believe it, a perfect 5x5 with a spread of some 24-25 inches totally busted up. Next year cannot come quick enough. Found a new place full of mature bucks and two of the four 150ish inch bucks I saw were busted by the 15th of November. I saw may deer with one side only. Question is, do you guys run into busted up bucks much? Funny thing is, this place is all prairie. The only rubs I see are on fence posts and boy are they worn down. If I posted a photo, you'd never think those WT are running around out there.  Below is a photo of one of those busted up dudes I got a shot at this year. He went from a 140ish buck to a 120ish.

How I love Colorado!

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big busted up bucks!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 12:09:00 AM »
After seeing the whitetail buck my electrician shot in eastern Colorado last year (rifle) it is easy for me to believe you.  His buck scored 218+ and he shot off 4-5” of one of the g-2’s when he killed it.

Walt Francis
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »
Overly aggressive bucks?

Thin beams?

Low amounts of a certain trace element?

or?

Offline loco_cacahuate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 12:28:00 AM »
I've seen lots of busted up bucks on our place. I killed a spike the other nite because a big one that was in, had about 3" of oneside left and several smaller bucks with broken points.

peanut
Never drop your gun to hug a Grizzly.

Offline Chad Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 01:29:00 AM »
If I was to put a finger on it, it would be lots of mature bucks, and not many does.  It's nice to see areas that are wild, free ranging with such a good structure.

I remember hunting areas throughout my life where the last 30 minutes of light were the ticket. I've had more opportunity here during mid day than late.

Steve,

I've spoken to you about this before. It sure is a very odd situation seeing big bucks mid day out in the middle of a pasture running around like fork horns.
How I love Colorado!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
This one had all his tines fist time I saw him. Not this year though. 1993

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
we hunted out near the KS border a couple of years every buck we saw early and late had broken points, after talking to several longtime hunters they said that was the norm as the ground was missing some minerals, although they grew huge antlers they were weak, those deer were also very aggresive the buck I shot left a hot doe when I rattled the horns, never had that happen.

I passed a nice buck that was broken up this year, he was only a 3 year old, if he would have been old I wouldnt have hestitated.
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Offline Swanny in MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
What's the typical body size, Chad?  Maybe they're all heavy weights with little fists (comparatively speaking).

Maybe they're all offspring of the Italian Stallion.

Fewer doe usually means more aggressive fighting.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
If the herd is close to a 1 to 1 ratio you'll get a lot of that with all the competition to breed.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
Lot of Does no need fer fighting

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
This is one I got last year. He is covered with scars from fighting, so I thought it was appropriate to leave the tine that was broken off instead of having it repaired....

He was a warrior and was enjoying the fruits of his labor/battles (chasing does) when I was lucky enough to get him....

There were a lot of deer with broken antlers (more than I had ever seen before), so I also wonder if maybe something in their diet was inadequate or lacking during antler growth....

In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline flntknp17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
Here are three of mine from the last three years........the buck on the left I shot in some really thick brush and could only see one side of the deer....never got a good look at the other until I got to the end of the blood trail!

Matt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©