3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Plains Quiver  (Read 874 times)

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Plains Quiver
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
Here is one I put together. I love it for stump shooting

I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »

I use them and really like 'em.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
Here's in one of mine. I use mainly for stump shooting as I don't have this one protected inside for broadhead use.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »
i believe there is an example/plans by jay massey in one of the TBB dont remember which volume but thats how i made mine. love it.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
You guys are too much. Those quivers are simply beautiful. They are so nice I would be afraid of getting them dirty. Ha ha ha ha

If I had that talent, my whole house would be full of them just so I could say "look what I did"

Nice fellas, Don  :)
"Just passing through"

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
Some nice work pictured here. Most of these seem to be very shallow. One of the great things about a plains style quiver is that they somewhat protect the fletchs if made deep enough.

U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline PurpleCajun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2008, 12:38:00 AM »
How does one protect the bottom of the plains quiver from broadheads?  My initial thought is "thicker leather", as I've used that in the back quivers I've made.  I don't see broadhead foam being all that useful for the plains quiver design.  

So is there something I'm missing? I'd like one of these to be my next project, but I'd like to be able to put broadheads in it without messing up the pretty leather.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2008, 12:43:00 AM »
You can add a layer of heavy leather,or rawhide to the bottom few inches of the inside of the quiver,or you could make individual Broadhead covers for them.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline PurpleCajun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2008, 12:47:00 AM »
Oh, I like the idea of individual broadhead covers.. They might cause me some inconvenience someday, but I won't know without experimenting.  

Thanks for that suggestion.

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
I think there has been a buildalong or two on these.  I'd like to make one myself someday when I have time.  For now I use a great elkhide one by Steve Catts.  If you can afford it, they are unbeatable.  

I think it is the most versatile quiver style ever invented.  Like drawing a great bow, they just feel "right".  When crawling hands and knees through heavy brush I can simply cradle it in front to my body and no hangups.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
believe it or not but i have wadded up newspaper in the bottom. a friend told me about it and it works pretty well.i dont stick the BH thru the paper just let them nestle in there. usually just use 1 page.easy to replace if needed.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
I tryed a plains style quiver and had trouble with the arrows sliding out on the practice range.But then i didn`t use the fleece fletching cover either because i would shoot more than one arrow sometimes and it was a hassle to get the arrows back in.As for hunting,it might work out good,your not trying to put arrows back in the quiver all the time.And the fleece cover holds them in.
Harold Wetzler

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
My hunting quiver is almost as long as the arrow so the mouth of the quiver sort of grabs ahold of the arrow without crushing the fletching.  I dont have any problems holding arrows in my quiver even when almost turned upside down.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
Any chance some of you guys and gals that use these could post some pics of them being worn and show the different ways you hold the arrows in them.
  :clapper:    :pray:
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »
I make mine a little different than most as I sew the bottom up instead of the top. This makes a thinner quiver that pinches the arrows so they do not move at all. No rattling and no sliding out even if you wear it upside down (fletching pointed down).

Here is a link on how I make mine.  http://www.howardhillshooters.com/lakotaquiver/djlakotabuildalong/alakotaquiver.html
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
I make a cheap one out of a $5 leather remnant for small game hunting. It's ugly, but it gets the job done.

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2008, 02:10:00 AM »
Here's a shot of my BH sheath, I added a tether so I can pull the arrow out- and put the sheath back on the arrow and back into the quiver if the arrow is not shot.  The arrow pictured is for bunnies but my 2 blade deer BH fits even better in the sheath than the bunnie blades.

Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
Gracious God; wonderful wife; 2 beautiful kids; bamboo fly rods; recurve bows; and a 57 Chevy. Life is a blessing.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 46#; Ben Pearson Colt 62" 45#

Offline Doug A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2008, 02:24:00 AM »
I was hoping someone would post pics of their quiver being worn, and it finally happened!  I have a deer hide that I have been considering turning into a quiver and I think this might be the design.
Member UBNJ, TANJ

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
Wednesday caste,Looks like you done some nice art work on your quiver.You got talent.What did you use to draw it?Sharpe,paint,ink?
Harold Wetzler

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
The pretty plains quiver in my pic was made by Barb. I have two of her quivers. They are made round at the bottom, and have a wooden disk as a base. I can't push a broadhead through that! You can put wood chips or moss or whatever in the bottom to cushion them. The quivers have too much hanging off of them to be practical for hunting, though. Fringe is pretty, but it moves a lot and catches on twigs. Long fringe was real popular with plains dwellers, but then, they were mostly mounted and out on the wide open.

Here is a clip (looky that pluck!!) showing the dark side of a beautiful quiver.

No way that is going through a laurel patch, let alone the briars of Albany!   :eek:
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©