3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Jack Rabbits  (Read 337 times)

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
Jack Rabbits
« on: December 17, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
I am not sure if this is the correct place for this or not, it if is please move it.

A friend of mine is hooking me up with some orchards in South Texas that have a jack rabbit problem. I have a 45 lb recurve that I really want to take and use on the jack rabbits. My main question is what broadhead/arrowhead would you use. I currently have a few G5 small game heads that I am wanting to try, but I was wondering what else was recommended. Is there something like that that is a glue on head for cedar arrows?

Thank you,
Chester
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Jack Rabbits
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
the g5s might work ok, i don't know, but any of your old broadheads will be very effective.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »
If they will allow broadheads on the school grounds, that would be my first choice too. If not glue on hex-heads from ace do a good job and you don't have to worry about losing an arrow with a blade on it that a kid could find later.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline limbbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
When hunting in West Texas in years past, we used broadheads that had broken tips or had been filed down to below the legal limit for deer hunting. They worked exceptionally well. Good real life practice for deer season i.e. following blood trails etc.

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
I would recommend you use a judo point.  They work well on jacks and are easier to find after the shot.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
G5 SGH are great heads.  I would also recommend old broadheads.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
Jacks are really tough critters. I quit messin around and started using broadheads on them years ago. No lost jacks with broadheads or anything with a blade.

The Magnus blunt w/bleeder blade works super too.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
Broadheads for sure!! I chased these dam* bunnies all over South Dakota in August.. A whole lot of fun while hunting pronghorns..

Good luck, let us know how the hunts goes.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 03:36:00 PM »
Broadheads for jacks no doubt....bigger cut and the more blades the better IMO.  They are TUFF critters!!!  I wouldn't hunt them with a small game head.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
Back when they had a bounty on them here in Texas, I had a buddy shoot one with a .22 in the head.  We walked up to the dead hare, cuts it ears off to get the bounty, and thought nothing of it, until 2 weeks later we walked passed the same spot, and a jack rabbit ran out of some sage in front of us with no ears.

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »
Chester---Consensus here confirms the above-I have been slinging arrows at the beasts since the early 1960's:  they grow large here and are tougher to kill than I would have belived--I have killed a few jacks with judo's and blunts while using heavy arrows and 55-60 lb longbows, but my shooting is not consistent enough to guarantee head shots.  A blade through the lungs is better. Any old beat-up  broadhead will work as long it is straight enough to fly well.
Back when I shot a 35 lb. curve with cedar and fiberglass shafts, anything other than a broadhead  disappointed---not enough penetration=wounded animal +grief.  
One of my boys bounced a judo/1816 aluminum off the back of the head of a big running away jack---it tumbled 3 times, got up, shook its head and ran off.  He now has a couple of Razorheads in his small game quiver.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. Right now I have 135 Zwickies or Simmons Razor Sharks, any thoughts about which would be better?
Ask me about CTO.

Offline UrsusNil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
They are a lot tougher than a cottontail. Ribteks worked for me.

Joe

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
not only are jack rabbits tough but ya end up taking longer shots on them.  I bet my average shot on jack rabbits is 35 to 40 yds.  Only thing to use is BH.  My jack rabbit arrows are all the bits and piece of hunting arrow that are now singles or only a few left of a end.  Jack rabbit arrows have get to be considered disposable or ya spend all day looking for arrows instead of shooting.

rusty

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 07:06:00 AM »

Jack rabbits are some tough buggers!!  Hit this guy with an Ace and it didn't even seem to phase him before a woodsman took him out.  I wouldn't use anything but broadheads now. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
Well it looks like I need to get arrows and broadheads that I am not to concerned about. Anybody have any old broadheads that they want to sell?
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »
Post an ad on the classifieds......
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chester Thompson:
Well it looks like I need to get arrows and broadheads that I am not to concerned about. Anybody have any old broadheads that they want to sell?
I have a bunch of old glue on Zwickeys I'll give ya..  If I can find em..
Damn Nice guy

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »
that reminds me of a story   :)  .  My hunting buddy and I were hunting jackrabbits in the Panhandle of Texas.  We had a jack rabbit at about 60yds setting the shade of a telephone pole.  We both shot at about the same time.  I was sure I saw my arrow go just over his back.  The jack rabbit took one big jump and dropped dead.  Hunting partner says ya got him what a shot.  No i dont think i did you muct have.  Nope partner said he watched his arrow miss him a foot?????

we walked the 60 yds to the dead rabbit.  rancher had strung the bottom bobwire about 4" off the ground.  we scared the jack rabbit and his first leap he broke his neck hitting the waire.    :)  

I am such an awsome shot I scare them to death   :)  

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 12:00:00 AM »
then there was the time I was at a pharmacy meeting in guymon, OK.  I had gone to college with one fo the follows attended,  He had told his fellow phamacist from the area some story that could have been almost true   :)   of my arhcery powress when i was in college. Espically of me shooting 2"x2" piece of pine thrown in the air.

now that is a lot of pressure to live upto the expections of non-archers that have been told some what true stories.  on the way out to a pasture to shoot the bow, a jack rabbit got up right under my feet. he was at full tilt.  by the time I got my act together to shoot he must have been 35 yds out still at a good jack rabbit lope.  I swang thru the rabbit about ten yds ahead, point on level and released.  the arrow was  golden bullet.  almost in slow motion the arrow drops into the chest of the lopeing jack rabbit.  the rabbit take a huge leap striaght up into the air and hit the in a death throw.

I carefull put my bow and arrows up never to shoot another shot in fornt of those guys again   :)  .

rusty

ps one time i vistied with one of the fellows from that group yrs later.  he had two boys now.  his kids came running out to the car and said oh you are the great archery,  did you bring your bow........oh no I am sorry I had to fly pand could not bring my bow.  I made dang sure not to open the trunk of the rent car.  no way I was going to take that bow out

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©