3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bleeder blades  (Read 549 times)

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
bleeder blades
« on: December 17, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
was wondering what peoples opinions are on bleeder blades good or bad or make no differnce, aslo two blade coc vs three balde

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bleeder blades
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
Through them away!!

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
do a search on Dr.Ashby. I believe his study that single bevel with you helical fletched the same direction as the bevel is the best setup.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
I've run many a 4 blade through whitetails if that's what you are after, and that's what I prefer most on whitetails.....but broadheads are tools and it depends on your set up and what you are after.

I also killed a 2000# buffalo with a 3 blade Wensel Woodsman.

Whatcha hunting and tell us about your set up?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
I hunt whitetail deer with the old green Bear broadheads with the bleeders; I would not feel right hunting without them.  They leave an awesome blood trail.  I've killed 4 deer so far this season with the same arrow and broadhead/bleeder.  Only one deer ran past 50 yards after hit, that one ran 65 and piled up.  The key is to keep that bleeder shaving sharp; it you don't then it causes a lot of friction when it hits an animal and deters penetration.
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
will be hunting whitetails and about once every five years bear takes 5 plus years to draw a tag here in wisconsin.  my set up is new and still being put togeather.  its a 60" 50# at 28" draw recurve just getting new arrows carbon express heritage 150's 5" right helical feathers was planing on shotting magnus stinger 125 grain heads

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
whitetails and bears are easily penetrated. Do yourself a favor and shoot the bleeders. Bigger holes are a good thing!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
Not to hijack the thread, but I've got a question for the pig hunters out there.  I am curious about bleeder blades as well.  I only shoot a 63# recurve with 660-700 grain arrows.  I'm going pig hunting in the spring and the possibility exists of getting up on some that are around 400 pounds.  Terry's pig with the thick shield that he posted on previously has me thinking about penetration.  I'm used to pretty good blood trails, but I've never used bleeder blades and don't know how much that would limit penetration on a tough shield and whether the better blood trail would be worth it.  I've also got some standard 2 blades and some 300xtreme 3 blades.  Do you guys think that the 3 blades and/or 2 blades with bleeders would get the job done on a tough shield? If so, what would your personal choice be?  (sorry bowmaster12)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
pdk25... those 300xtreme heads won't stop till they hit something hard on the other side of the pig... should be just the ticket on large hogs with shields. Best of both worlds.

Bowmaster12... don't even worry about penetration on deer and bears with the Magnus Stinger 4 blade. That head will zip through like nothing was in the way.

You may may want to try tuning one carbon arrow first before permanently attaching your inserts....you may find you need to beef up tip weight to get things tuned good.

Like Biggie said, "do yourself a favor".
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
no prob pdk25 great question i cant speak to much to the broadhead question but as far as pig shields from my taxidermy work on them theres not much that dulls an edge quicker than that shield of hard fat from my experince talking ot pig hunters two things come up first main point quartering away shots key the other thing that coems up is if a broadside shot shot further back than normal

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
bleeder blades are good.  they cut a right of way that reduces friction o on the shaft. Cut big holes that bleed and close up slowly.

The other day I shot some practice arrows with out the bleeders. One of the Magnus head split the twine but did not cut it in two. It would have cut it cleanly had the bleeders been in.

Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
Bowmaster, I like the bleeders too and see no reason not to use them with your set up, particularly for deer which you'll mostly be hunting.

Pdk25, I'll second what Charlie said.  With your ample set up I'd be all over those 300X's you already have, or any high penetration multi-blade like a Woodsman or Stinger.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »
Bleeders make better blood trails! I shoot the Magnus stingers and first started with teh two bladed model because I heard they penetrated better. But after struggling to find blood a time or  two, I switched to teh 4 blade. Much better blood trails and no loss of penetration for whitetails. Those bleeders are small and only serve to open the wound a little more.

ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 05:31:00 AM »
I hunted with 2 blade delta zwickeys for decades; and I like them; but those little bleeders on the '4 blade' zwickey really improve the blood trails.

From now on I am using them.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
Thanks for my answers, guys.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
Stingers are a great choice for that set up. You can be confident using the 4 blade Stingers on deer and bear. I usually keep a two blade Stinger in the quiver just in case I run into a 200+ pound hog, otherwise it's the 4s.

Here's what a 4 blade Stinger can do on slightly bigger animal...

Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
Bleeders installed for me.I don't leave home without them....bowdoc

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »
I'm a believer in bleeders. I also agree with Trooper- keep'em sharp, really sharp.   GY

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
I have shot several animals with Zephyr Sausquatch broadheads and also Eclipse broadheads, both of which use the same bleeder blades and have found that they make bigger holes, bleed better, and don't hinder penetration that I could see.  From what I have seen I am a fan of large multiblade broadheads (Zephyr, Eclipse, Snuffer, Magnus)  Even in Africa were I used only 2 blade heads(Zephyr and Magnus I) they would have been helpful and when I get back there I will be using them.
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
I've been shooting two blades for the last year or so.  I just went back to bleeders and am going back to Scirocco and Sasquash heads. I've had a couple of scant blood trails recently and that is what motivated the change. I added a little more weight to push them through...just to be safe!  I do keep a sharp 2 blade Stos in the quiver (with different colored feathers) in case a big hawg comes calling.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©