3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: recurve or longbow  (Read 352 times)

Offline cnorth

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
recurve or longbow
« on: December 17, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
Wanting to get into traditional shooting.  I was wondering what were some of the deciding factors of some of you to shoot one over the other.  Thanks ahead for your inputs, GOD BLESS!!!!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all of thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  Proverbs 3: 5

TOELKE WHIP HS 48 @28, 60"
TOELKE WHIP 50 @ 28, 64"     
BROWNING WASP 45 @ 28
BLACK WIDOW PMA III 51 @ 28, 62"

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: recurve or longbow
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
There are many great stickbows of all shapes and sizes to fit just about any taste or style. Though some may find a certain shape, size, or style to be worthless, others may find the same to be perfection. Regardless, we all share the same theme of using a simple stick and string.

I prefer a moderate to long, slender, and light bow with a smallish, straight handle. I also enjoy the feel of such bow having bamboo laminations. I hunt with a back or side quiver while using arrows of moderate to heavy weight. For me, nothing quite fits this bill better than a good longbow with straight limbs or with limbs having some backset. A heavier, shorter, and wider recurve with bulkier riser and pistol grip takes away the very aspects in stickbow archery I enjoy the most by using a longbow. You or others may choose and prefer to keep the very characteristics which I dislike and avoid. You may also dislike the very things I prefer such as having less mass, less weight, and increased length, etc.

Like boots and backpacks, what is great for one may be a failure for another. You have many great options from which to select and to find YOUR best suit:)

later,
Daddy Bear

Offline flycaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
I think longbows are great, but don't happen to own one. I like the graceful lines of a recurve and, because that's what I learned on ages ago, I've kind of stuck with it. The grip feels right to me, and I find arrow selection to be a little less critical because of the center shot risers. A really well-made long bow might seduce me some day at a range, and I doubt I'd resist too much!

Chuck

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 10:44:00 PM »
Before compounds I hunted exclusively out of tree stands and I could shoot very well with a recurve but couldn't shoot a longbow worth a hoot out of a tree.  I sold the one I had, a Ben Pearson.  Wish I never sold it though.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 05:04:00 AM »
I've started on recurves cause i just loved the look of the curves.  But currently thinking of getting a Border Black Harrier 50# for my next bow.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline BONE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 07:09:00 AM »
Cnorth--You really need to try both before making a decision.I own both,but Longbows are my choice.I could go on all day about why I like my Longbows,but that shouldn't influence your choice. Ya' just gotta shoot 'em man,besides it is fun to try them out.   :bigsmyl:  --Bone

Offline cnorth

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback. GOD BLESS!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all of thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  Proverbs 3: 5

TOELKE WHIP HS 48 @28, 60"
TOELKE WHIP 50 @ 28, 64"     
BROWNING WASP 45 @ 28
BLACK WIDOW PMA III 51 @ 28, 62"

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
What BONE said!  :thumbsup:  

I own both and shot Recurves for alot of years 20+  :eek:  But have been shooting Longbows for the last 8 years. I find them to be more forgiving with my shooting style. I still like shooting my Recurves from time to time, but LOVE shooting my 66" 60# Tree Longbow the most! Wish I would have started shooting Longbows years ago.

GOOD LUCK!  :thumbsup:    :campfire:

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
I have both and have been shooting all for more than 40 years.  My feeling is, after you really get into it you will wnat both.

As said above, pros and cons for all.  I have been into self bows now for about 6 years.  That came about by my involvement with the muzzleloading Mountain Man Rendeavous and the addition of 'primitive' archery at many of these events in the Pacific Northwest. (I had some influence on several of these)

Now I seem to enjoy making and shooting these self bows and shooting primitive, or 'semi-primitive' arrows most of all.

I tried the recurve, the Longbow and a 'stickbow' this hunting season, but conditions were so dry that I could not get clean close shots. (I blew may angle on day in the tree stand for a 15 yard shot!) The deer were on the wrong side and spooked when they caught wind.

I suggest you try both on a range, and then move up to a 3-D course.  I consider 3-D shooting about as much fun as I can have!
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
I greatly admired the genius of the longbow bowyer who came up with the first recurve and really loved the feel and performance of the recurve. Shot only recurves for 7 years. Bought a longbow, "just because." Now, I haven't shot the recurve all year as there is just something about the weight, simplicity and "romance" of the "D" shape, traditional handled, longbow that is indescribable! I don't even like hybrids as much even though there are some amazing hybrid bows. They just don't capture the same vibe that I can't fully articulate!

Freefeet-get the Griffon GL!    :)
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
As mentioned above we could go on for years about what we like or dislike about eather one.But you will be shooting the bow not us.As bone said try them both..I have both and shoot recurves 90% of the time.However I do have a 1957 Ben Pearson take down long bow I dearly love..bd

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »
A hybrid longbow with recurve grip suits a lot of folks.
Lon Scott

Offline Gutshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
I've pretty much shot recurves exclusively for a few years now.  I have a Black Widow PMA.  I tried and tried to find a longbow that I liked.  I shot a lot and never liked the handshock.  They all had it in my opinion.  I was about to give up the search when I shot the Caribow Tundra Wolf.  I fell in love immediately.  I may be more sensitive to handshock than others, but the Tundra Wolf shot as smooth as my recurve and seemed to be more accurate.
Hunt with your kids...not for 'em!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
I have both, but there is a "gotcha" factor about the longbow that just can't be explained. Also, I have never been noticeably bothered by hand shock that many claim to feel with the longbow. As time goes by, you will probably own both recurves and longbows.
Sam

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
Just you wait you will have both eventually.  You can't resist it. Good luck you can't go wrong.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
I have had both, but the R/D longbows like my Kanati's are the best for me. They have no handshock and draw smooth as butter. They are amazingly fast and accurate. They just fit me. You will have to find what fits you, ultimately.

There are always some great bows for sale on the classified pages. Some are nearly new, high quality custom bows that just didn't do it for those who ordered them. I have bought several used custom bows. Some worked for me, some didn't. They were all good bows though. I just haven't found anything that fits me as well as the Kanati.

Have fun with your search. Most of us here are or are becoming bow addicts, so be warned, this is very addictive!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Quinn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 04:59:00 AM »
Like the pull of the recurve, like the simple lines of the longbow.
"If you put the federal government in charge of the  Sahara Desert , in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."   ~ Milton Friedman

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 07:04:00 AM »
:campfire:  
If your hooked on traditional, you'll have them both down the road. So far I'm shooting recurves but I find myself looking at the longbows at the range more and more.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!
  :archer:
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline LONGHORN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »
I shoot both and makes no difference witch one I use I like them all.
"The sportsman who accepts the sporting code of ethics keeps his commandments in the greatest solitude with no witnesses or audience other than the sharp peaks of the mountain, the stern oak, and the passing animal"
~Jose Ortega Y Gasset~

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
The definition of a longbow has been corrupted to where one has trouble distinguishing what is and what isn't.  You will want to try both before making a decision, and more than likely, you will end up having both at one time or another.  It's a journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©