3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Split vs. 3-Under tiller Question..  (Read 302 times)

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
Split vs. 3-Under tiller Question..
« on: December 18, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
Hey guys, I shoot 3 under on my Bear Montana Longbow thats tillered for Split Finger shooting. What I am wondering what difference will I notice if I shoot a longbow thats tillered for 3-Under vs Split?? Why am I asking, because I'm looking at a bow in the Classifieds that tillered for 3 under thats a real beauty and at the right price, but tillered for split? Should I wait to find or order a bow tillered for 3-Under?

Thanks!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Split vs. 3-Under tiller Question..
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
I've always shot 3under and always had bows tillered for split finger.  Shoot some tillered for 3 under and didn't notice the difference.  If you like it buy it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »
Howzit Joseph,

From what I've read on the Black Widow website, you can shoot a bow three under on a bow thats built for split. The few years; 2 that I've been shooting Trad, I haven't seen any difference in  bow performance. I also shoot three under. Some will say that the bow it will shoot louder. I guess that I'm lucky or a bit deaf (probably the latter) as I cannot tell the difference in "loudness". Out of the four recurves that I own, only one was made to shoot three under.

Aloha,

Mark

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
That what I heard as well Mark, it will shoot louder! I was wondering if there is better performance with it tillered the correct way and if its that big a difference, or is it just a noise factor. My Montana is quiet as can be shooting this way, 3 under on a tillered for split fingered bow!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »
If shooting 3 under, just adjust the nocking point and wear ear protection.  :bigsmyl:
Lon Scott

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »
It's not the tiller, it's shooting three under that's louder.  In truth, a lot of folks don't tiller their bows any differently for one versus the other.  Most bows are tillered about 3/16 positive tiller, give or take a sixteenth.  You will have to nock a little higher shooting three under.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
bowhuntingfool- Any bow can be shot any way consistantly, look at The Wilhelm brothers!!  That said,the tiller of a bow does make a differance,in the simple fact that having all three fingers under adds extra string torque on the lower limb.  But it shouldn't cause the bow to shoot louder.  You have a flemish twist string?  Might want to try one with 16-18 strands, help's out a little.  Also, a heavier arrow will quiet the bow down alot,more kinetic energy transfered.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
It's not the tiller, it's shooting three under that's louder.  In truth, a lot of folks don't tiller their bows any differently for one versus the other.  Most bows are tillered about 3/16 positive tiller, give or take a sixteenth.  You will have to nock a little higher shooting three under.
So what your saying is that its just a noise factor and there really is no performance issue? My bow now is a quiet as a mouse when I shoot, its tillered for 3 under! Will a shorter bow make a difference, ie: finger pinch etc... I'm shooting 64" and looking at picking up a 58" - 60" inch bow!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline StickBender55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »
If the bow is tillered for split finger wouldn't the lower limb experience more stress over time and become weaker, such as in a selfbow?

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »
I switched from shooting split finger to three under with my Quinn recurve and noticed no difference in sound.  I raised my knocking point a little, maybe 1/8 inch and it is fine.  I was told by a very popular bowyer that it wouldn't make any difference.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by toddster:
bowhuntingfool- Any bow can be shot any way consistantly, look at The Wilhelm brothers!!  That said,the tiller of a bow does make a differance,in the simple fact that having all three fingers under adds extra string torque on the lower limb.  But it shouldn't cause the bow to shoot louder.  You have a flemish twist string?  Might want to try one with 16-18 strands, help's out a little.  Also, a heavier arrow will quiet the bow down alot,more kinetic energy transfered.
Thanks, my set up now is a 620gr arrow coming out of a 50# bow, pretty quiet! The buck I killed this year at 10 yards didn't hear it!   :clapper:  

I am just looking at all options before I go and buy a used bow. I want to be sure its gonna be a good purchase!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by StickBender55:
If the bow is tillered for split finger wouldn't the lower limb experience more stress over time and become weaker, such as in a selfbow?
Not from what I've seen in 11 years of shooting 3 under.  I've yet to see a glass lam bow damaged or loose poundage due to how it was shot.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »
Three under shooting generally equates to less finger pinch, but it will all come down to the design of the bow.  If the bow is designed (not necessarily designed to your draw, but capable of drawing that far) to be pulled to your draw length I don't see why you should have any finger pinch shooting 3 under...Mike

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
if you can stress a lower limb I am just the guy that can do it.  I stringwalk.  that means that I may be drawing and releasing the bow string from as much as 1&7/8" under the nocking point of the arrow.  been stringwalking recurves since 1964 with no adverse effect on bows.  

I would not worry about it

rusty

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
Howzit Joseph,

Alot of good advice posted above. I also shoot a heavier arrow and  I guess it does helps with the "loudnes" issue.

As far a short bow being louder, My Great Plains SR is 56 inches and it isn't any louder than my other Great Plains one piece at 60 inches.

I don't know about finger pinch as I draw only 26 inches. For my short draw length, pinch is not an issue.  I was born vertically challenged so I prefer to shoot short bows. Buggers make me look taller------

Aloha,

Mark

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
Great stuff guys, this is the info I'm looking for. You guys are helping me spend money and not even knowing it!    :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :archer:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Ojibwa Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©