3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Game cart recommendations?  (Read 555 times)

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Game cart recommendations?
« on: December 18, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
I used a buddy's Game Cart (I guess thats what you call them) to haul a deer out of the woods last month, and it was a life saver.

We can't figure out who the manufacturer was, so I need some recommendations.

I want one that packs down flat so I can leave it in the truck until I need it, and won't take up too much room.

I've looked at Cabelas and BassPros catalogs, and did a search here already.

I'd appreciate any advice or ideas you guys can offer.

Thanks, Paul
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Game cart recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Paul,

I have the super mag hauler from cabela's. I would buy it again if needed, I can't tell you how many deer I have carted out with this. I use it for beaver and traps, goose decoys and the like. I have had it for 8 years and have no regrets.

Sean

Offline Bobby Castello

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
I bought one made by Ameristep a few years ago. It's alum. and folds flat and can be backpacked with removeable wheels. The wheels are angled out to keep the cart from tipping over if the weight of the deer shifts. It was about $149.00 but money well spent. I have a few other models a bit cheaper but the Ameristep is the better of the bunch.
               Bobby
Hunt hard,but have fun!

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
Bluegill,  I've heard a lot of good things about the Super Mag.  My only problem is with the size of it. It looks pretty huge even folded up.  I'm afraid to leave it in the back of my truck because it might get stolen.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
Hey Bobby, do you know which model that Ameristep is?

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
Paul, a young man like yourself should be able to throw em on your shoulder and walk out. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
Hey batman,

You're right, I have no excuse.  But I've got a few buddies my age that have hurt their backs in a variety of ways, and are limited in what they can do.

I'd like to think I'm being smart, but using that cart last month sure was nice......

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
I have a deer cart, it's saved me a few times. What I don't like about mine is, is that it sits too high up. If you are going to get one, buy one that has a low center of gravity to avoid tipping to the sides when using on uneven ground. Might also want to spend $15 on a plastic sled as well.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
I second the Ameristep. . . you can get it in Aluminum.  Packs down to next of nothing- maybe 18" x 24". Maybe 15 pounds.  Built in pack straps.  Wheels angle outward for stability.  Also make sure you get the newer set of wheels (if you happen to buy a used one) as they are metal spoked instead of the plastic (the plastic break).  They sent me the new ones free when my old ones broke.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys; thats what I'm looking for.  I don't want to have to buy three before I find one I like.

KSdan,   theres an Ameristep in Cabelas.  Is that the same one you have?

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
Note the packed up cart behind my deer.  Then the deer loaded up.  It is a SWEET tool!

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
Paul-
I see the one on Cabelas On-Line. . . it is $169.  That is it.  Check with Rogers Sporting Goods in Liberty MO though.  Even call and ask for Steve Rogers.  You may get it much cheaper- they ship. . . great outfit.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »
Hi  I've had two and I would not hunt with out one in the truck.  What a differednce they can make. (given the right landscape)
Get one that the wheels are centered so the weight of the animal is balenced and carried over the wheels.  Makes the work so much easier. I got mine from Bass pro shop.  about $100

Joe Ashton
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
KSdan, nice cart and one sweet world class six point!!!!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
Alright KSdan, thanks for looking it up.  I see it in the Cabelas catalog.  Thanks also for the tip about Rogers!

Thats a heck of a 6 point you got there, too.

Thanks, Joe.  That's important about the wheels.  If its built right, it's much easier.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
A few years ago I bought the Ameristep Grizzly game cart and have used it for deer and elk.  It folds up, but is not too compact.  I just use a bicycle cable lock to secure it in my truck.

It was $79 and now sell for $99, however, a check at Cabela's shows this is on sale right now for $49.   :thumbsup:  

It's a strong cart and I have had no problems.  Here's a pic of my buddy hauling out some of his elk.  We later determined there was 270 pounds on the cart.  These things are great!    :clapper:    

Lon Scott

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
We've had great results with this one and it is on sale right now:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=103008deerhuntsale-door&id=0020698225958a&navCount=2&po  dId=0020698225958&parentId=cat603767&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=8IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
Hey Blackhawk,

I think I'll have to go with the one you have; the Ameristep Grizzly.  For $49.00, you can't beat it.

I'm pretty sure thats the model I used this fall.  And it does fold flat.  It's just not made for backpacking.

Thanks for all the imput guys!

Offline BigAl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
Here is a deer (not archery) going for a ride on a cart I built about 15 years ago. I can't use any of those two-wheel jobs in the areas I hunt, you'd never get through the brush and between trees with that kind of width. I used a 20" bicycle wheel...any diameter less and you can't jump over the small logs, etc.

I also have a detachable center wheel which attaches to the cart about under the shoulder area for heavy deer (this is a yearling ~115 pounder so not needed).

P.S. Note the narrow profile the way I have him trussed up...also needed for snaking through thick stuff. Also note the adjustable strap around my neck to take weight off my arms.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »
I purchased an Ameristep this fall, and hauled out 1 deer on it.
 The trip was about a half mile. After about 300 yards the wheel fell off in a field . The grass caught on the pin that holds the wheel on and pulled it out.
 Getting it over a log bigger than 6" was a real chore, the wheels are to small.
 When I got it home I discovered a cracked weld where the  spring loaded pins that suport the frame are.
 I contacted Ameristep about the broken weld and they did not even reply back. Junk is to high a rating . ZERO customer service.
 I now have some wheelchair wheels and will build a cart befor next year.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©