3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coyotes  (Read 457 times)

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
Coyotes
« on: December 18, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
I plan on trying some predator hunting after deer season ,but I have no idea what I'm doing.  Anybody know of a book that would apply more for bowhunters?

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyotes
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
Don't know of any books but there are a couple of good magazines available. Varmint Masters, and Predator Caller. Might have a issue lying around I'll check.

They both are geared towards firearms hunting though.

bretto

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
Fireball31, I don`t know of any books about yote hunting with a bow, but I KNOW it can be done.

Because of the cover they prefer here in Michigan, it`s almost impossible to get them into bow range before they get your scent. Being a Michigander, you KNOW how many we have here, and that they are virtually everywhere, and thus you would think it would not be too difficult...but it is.

Get ready to learn alot about just how smart yotes are. It ain`t like the open terrain you see in the videos of hunting out west.

Good luck, and happy hunting.

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
here in So IL it is quite easy to take one with a bow. Had a buddy walking out from his tree stand the other day and he shot 5 with his bow (and recovered all 5) granted it was a compound so the accuracy and distance is a bit greater but still it can be done.
I have yet to wack a yote with my longbow but heres how i kill them with a compound. from a tree stand i have a decoy (usually a rabbit pelt, or some low value pelt i snag in a trap) placed about 20 yds. Save the rabbit urine as it is GREAT cover. hit the rabbit in distress and wait. Since i typically do this while im deer hunting, i dont move every 15min like i would with my AR-15. but as it get closer to ending shooting light do it a few more times. they will come! As a matter of fact i called in a bobkitty the other day doing this and he walked right under my stand w/o a clue i was there. Yotes typically wont look up, but like anyother critter i would sit still.

Offline toot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
Hey Fireball.. I've got some coyote/predator calling books.. Not really archery, but good info..

I'm way behind in the helping area on this forum..

P.M. me your mailing info, and they will be comming..  I'm going to the post office Saturday.. It would be good to get them mailed off then.. I absolutely hate going to the post office..

If I can send this stuff to you, I'll feel good, and you'll feel good..

""WIN, WIN""  situation...

Toot,  (Kelly)

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
I have shot  Many coyotes with a bow they are harder than a whitetail the trick is to sneek in to your stand get a rabbit in distress call call and get set  to shoot they will come in fast most times (oh yea )you will also get lots of ravens and magpies comming to call good luck
Gord

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 10:44:00 PM »
Get some Randy Anderson DVD's.  He has some bow kills on them usually.  Very informative.  Main thing is face down wind and have it open enough to get a shot while being concealed as possible.  Alot harder to draw on than any other animal IMO.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by BMOELLER:
Get some Randy Anderson DVD's.  He has some bow kills on them usually.  Very informative.  Main thing is face down wind and have it open enough to get a shot while being concealed as possible.  Alot harder to draw on than any other animal IMO.
I agree, Randy's dvd are top notch! Thats how I learned to call them in. I have taken my fair share in the past 3 years of calling, one with the wheelie bow, a beautiful blonde! I'm going to try with the Longbow this winter, can't wait!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 12:03:00 AM »
good on you kelly
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »
Those dang yotes are always trying to circle downwind of the call they say bobcats arent as bad about that.  I have seen coyotes spook with those flopping decoys.  I have always thought if you float a boat down a river and get out every 200 yards making it so they can't get down wind of you.  That would also keep them from crossing your scent trail.  You could do like elk hunters and have a budy call from 50-75 yards upwind of you in the regular woods.  Then good luck getting drawn.  5 coyotes in one day is outstanding even with an AR-15

Offline Arrow Slinga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »
Go to Randy Anderson's site they have a dvd called verminators bowmania, I think they are weelie bows.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 12:21:00 AM »
Please be careful and don't die in a cold river some where because I suggested that.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 12:28:00 AM »
A lot of times when making a distress call the dogs will try to get down wind to see what the fuss is about. If you try and howl them in during the mating season they will come in from any direction, hopefully in front of you because when they get your scent, they don't stick around and look for ya! Its a blast!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline toot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »
Glad you guys mentioned DVD's... I've got video's, and DVD's to send also..

Still waiting on address...

Toot

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
Do cottontail calls work in areas that only have snow bunnies. Thats all I have around here in the Adirondacks. I did call one in when I was out trying to reduce the red squirrel numbers around here. Had my air rifle so wasn't much good but did have fun. I had its head pop up twenty feet in front of me and dash off like i had set its tail on fire. i moved about 20 yards and keeped the squirrel call going and sure enough that yote circled round looking for the suirrel. I could see its legs through the balsam about 5 yards away. Real cool.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline toot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
Cottontail will work..

High pitched is a good thing..  The coyote just wants to hear something screamin'..

Put ""REAL EMOTION"" into it.. Not just WA_WA_WA...

Make it sound like you are literally being eaten..  If something has ripped your balls, and your thigh off, you will be feeling emotional...

Howling works good in Jan, and Fed..  In areas that have been called alot. (Which is most areas).. Try to think of something different to "say"....

Turkey, squirrel, fawn, kitten........

Howling, and rabbit distress are good longrange sounds.. Alot of people call for 30sec., wait for 4 min., call for 30 sec., wait for 4 min., repeat, repeat, repeat.. Alot of the time I do too...

A real good option to that scenario is to call quietly for 30sec., wait 5 min., Let'er rip with all you've got till you're out of breath, and wait for 15min., give another call quietly, and watch for a few more minutes..

The waiting quietly for 15min. or so is what is different..  The critter has heard you screaming, has homed into where you're located, and is starting your way...

The actual rabbit is not going to scream for 30 min.  I've only heard them give a few screams actually..

"Coyote callers", scream for 30 min..

Traditional archers sometimes say, "become the arrow."

What you need to do when calling, is not so much as calling coyotes as,..........

""become the rabbit.""

Sound like your left ear has been tore off, along with half the hide along your back....

One of my most common hand calls is a cow elk call.. When I use them for predators, I make extreme high pitched screams..

Go Gitter Done.......

Toot

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
Since the area I will be hunting is heavily wooded would calling from one spot and then moving across the wind to a shooting spot about 20 yards away work. maybe leave a pelt swinging in the breeze or on a string at the calling site. Leave it in an open area and have a natural ground blind set up with real thick cover behind so can't be seen etc. Think that would work

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
ttt

Offline toot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
I personally, don't think moving 20 yards is going to improve the scenting issues..

BUT.............

I DO believe that having a visual attractor/eye catcher would be of great help when using a bow, or anything else for that matter..

I have not done any coyote hunting with a bow, but I'm gonna..

The use of electronic calls would be a great advantage of a bow hunter.. You can use a remote, or speaker wire to get the sound "over there.. The critter will therefore be looking over there..

Calling with a partner is a huge plus also. It more than doubles the advantage..

Calling at night with a red light is a huge advantade also.. It more than quadrupples the sightings/success..

There are some areas I will not even go to in the day. Simply because the coyotes are so paranoid.. But at night it's a whole nother ball game..

The only bummer about night calling is animal identification.. Wolves and coyotes look alot alike in the dark with a light on them..

Toot

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
Have to find someone who will sit in the cold and dark with me. Didn't work real well in high school, maybe will have more luck now  :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©