3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow ?  (Read 156 times)

Offline Ferg

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow ?
« on: December 19, 2008, 08:06:00 AM »
I shoot a 54lb Bob Lee Recurve with axis 400 arrows with 3 4" feathers and a 100 grain stinger broadhead. I had penetration problems this year due to the total weight of the arrow being 400 grains. I would like to get a lot closer to the 650 mark that Ashby report talks about. Can I add some sort of insert to make my arrows weigh more or if not what are my choices in a cabon arrow that would weigh more. I also want to go to a heavier broadhead but not sure of which one to try. 125,145 or heavier broadhead?
Thanks
Gary

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow ?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
You can add a 100 gr. brass insert in them but that will change the tune of your arrows.If those arrows are flying good the easiest way would be to try some 3 to 5 gr. per inch weight tubes to increase overall weight.They usally don't affect the tune as much as the 100 gr. inserts will.If you want to get to 650 you may have to choose a stiffer spine to load up the front end and tune them to your bow.

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow ?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
1/4" poly rope. 30" = about 100gr on the nose. I've done a few dozen this way and was suprised to find them all within +/- 2gr. (Cut carefully)
 Fits the I.D. of the arrow very well.

To install rope, I clamp a 3ft+ wire into my bench vise.  Slide the shaft over the wire. Tie the wire to the rope about an inch from the end.  Feed the end of the rope into the shaft. Once you're at your knot, you simply slide the shaft over the rope. Nice and easy like.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©