3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your Traditional Journey  (Read 480 times)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Your Traditional Journey
« on: December 19, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
I've read a bunch on here concerning the reasons why people are going traditional and it got me to thinkin about my own journey.  Having started bowhunting when it was just bowhunting because there was no such thing as a compound I guess I come from a different side of things.  I found myself just wanting to make a bowkill.  When I made my first one I had only personally knew two others who had ever done it.

As I continued on the compound came into play and I just never got excited about it.  For quite a few years I was one of the only people at archery shoots without a wheel bow.  I still shot with my friends who used them and we had a blast.

In the early 80's I started an archery shop and had to buy and sell wheel bows.  I took a season and learned to shoot them and killed 3 deer with them in different states.  I didn't see any difference in my actual hunting based upon a bow type so I went back to my regular stuff and was never envious of the other.

Now, I see that the only difference the other bows make in a hunting situation is about 10 more yards of confident accuracy.  However, I have not wanted any deer bad enough to give in and take the other bows.

I don't use this type of equipment for "spiritual" reasons or for "nostalgic" reasons.  I don't use it because it's the "real" way to hunt and I don't use it because it makes me a better hunter.  

I use it because I find it easier to kill deer with in the type of hunting that I enjoy doing.  I like them close and I like knowing I was able to get them close.  Besides, those other bows are "heavy" to carry!

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your Traditional Journey
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
Good stuff!   :thumbsup:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by longbowman:

I don't use this type of equipment for "spiritual" reasons or for "nostalgic" reasons.  I don't use it because it's the "real" way to hunt and I don't use it because it makes me a better hunter.  

I use it because I find it easier to kill deer with in the type of hunting that I enjoy doing.  I like them close and I like knowing I was able to get them close.  Besides, those other bows are "heavy" to carry!
I also started bowhunting when it was just bowhunting.

Used the ........ bow for a few years after joining a local club. Was into the tournament thing for less years. For some reason I still shot it like I would my recurve, plain and simple. Won a few things, then it just faded away.

I returned to the recurve and never looked back. My success rate on all game and fish went up. It is easier for me.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
Good stuff! I have been shooting and hunting with Trad bows for 30yr. For me it was about the past and feeling a "spiritual" link to the hunters and warriors who had to survive useing a simple stick and string. I love the challenge of shooting and hunting with a Recurve and Longbow and wood arrows. I tryed shooting a Compound once, just didn't feel the same. I love sitting in the woods and filling my sences with the world around me and thinking of past hunters who did the same. I love seeing the flight of an arrow to its mark.
 Shooting and hunting with Trad gear has made me the person I'am today. I can't imagin LIFE without my Trad bows. Even if the day comes that I can't hunt with my Bows I will still shoot them for the simple joy of seeing the flight of the arrow.  :thumbsup:    :campfire:  

Raven >>>>--------->

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 01:46:00 PM »
I am kind of with longbowman on this.  I am a bowhunter.  I am finishing my 26th bow season, and I am only 37 years old, so I started kind of young.  I have not gun hunted for deer since I was 17 years old.  Only the last three seasons have I used a recurve.  Before that it was a compound, shot with fingers and barebow.  

I went to the recurve thinking it would be harder.  Guess what, its not.  Sure I could shoot a little further with my hoyts, but 95% of my shots are within 20 yards so who cares about a few extra yards.

I shoot recurves because I want to, it does not make me feel closer to nature or make me a better hunter.  I am a bowhunter plain and simple.  If I attempt to take a critter I want to take it with my bow.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »
Well it's relatively simple; I don't think a machine with cables and pulleys and let-off should be construed as a bow.  They are machines with many, many moving parts.  They are not simple, and they offer too many chances for failure....more parts more potential issues.  They are popular because they are easy to use.

I would rather opt for a weapon that has less chance of failure due to something relatively minor.  And yes....the historic significance is important as well, at least to me.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
As a kid, grew up shooting the various fiberglass Bear bows and then bought my own Herters Sambar (I think) or Sitka bow.  Model Perfect of course.  ha.

But when I finally reached the age to carry a shotgun without Dad by my side, I went that route for a while and terrorized local dove, pheasant, etc. populations with in JrHi/High School.

By the time I came back to bowhunting, I was 18 and it was 1981 and my college dropped cross country as a sport, so I was looking for some early season hunting before the waterfowl seasons opened up.  Bought a Browning compound and LOVED bowhunting to the point where the other hunting began to take a backseat.  

By 1988, I was ready for the traditional challenge and haven't looked back.  It's been awesome, and shooting a trad bow is so much more fun!  The successes feel more intimate as well.  Simply put, I feel ALIVE when walking into the woods carrying a stickbow!
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »
I used a compound from 1980 up until last year.  Shooting a compound got to the point where it was a mechanical action on my part.  Draw, put sight on target and release.  I just wasn't having fun shooting anymore.  This summer I got out a recurve that I bought a few years ago and began fooling around with it.  In no time at all I was having fun shooting again.  

I got good enough with it that I began wondering if I could really get a deer with that bow.  When I got the first one I knew I had put more effort into getting that doe than the biggest buck I have ever killed with a rifle.  No much time went by and I got a 2nd doe with my recurve.  

The deer turned when I shot and the hit wasn't very good but I was still able to see her go down about a hundred yards away.  Now all I want to do is make another perfect shot like the first deer.

Bottom line for me is shooting a recurve brought the challenge and fun back for me.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Jeff Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
I shot recurves all thru high school in the early 70's and also hunted with a rifle. In my twentys I hunted pretty much year round with with a recurve before going to a longbow. The main reason I carry traditional bows is I feel when carring one I am a part of the woods and not intruding in any way. It just feels right to be toting a traditional bow to me. I feel at peace with myself and nature. It allows me to slow down and enjoy the peace and solitude. I personally do not like the noise of a gun and am more in line with the attitudes of other traditional bowhunters. I know I am rambling but it is hard to explain other than it is me or rather the traditional lifestyle suits me.
Living and hunting with a traditional mindset.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
I read someplace that shooting a Trad Bow celebrates the human condition. Seems so natural to be in the woods still hunting with a longbow. Granted, I've hunted with firearms and wheelie bows from back around '73. Then.... Eight years ago my wife got me a Martin Dream Catcher and I Ain't Looked Back!

It's just fun, simple and rewarding. My two cents.

... mike ...  :archer:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
roger the "don't like how heavy they are"! love the  feel of my recurve in my hand and never feel handicapped. quite gun hunting deer several years ago and just plain love to be in the woods with my bow whether hunting deer or stumps!

charlie

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
rewarding, brought the challenge and fun back thats what does it for me. plus i like the people associated with trad archery strange bunch   :saywhat:   but some of the best people you will find.

was strange for me coming from a hunting farm in South Africa and when i was young (shot my first plains game at 7 years old) i did not realize the potential of bows they where toys not hunting tools then through the safari operation i saw compounds and had a guy take me out and he shot an eland whilst i filmed and it tipped over 30 meters from where he shot it i thought  "this is for me" when i used to hunt with the rifle my dad or uncle would only give me 1 round and after a while even if i had to shoot a specific animal if i left first thing in the morning i could have it on the ground by the end of the day. when i got to that stage i though "need to make this harder" thats when i switch to bowhunting and also stopped bothering with horns (trophys) always nice to get a big one for sure but after working and guiding in the safari business the guys shooting the big stuff really did not deserve to they "hunted" for reason i did'nt understand before they pulled the trigger they wanted the tape measure on it. anyway shot compounds after that with good success then even with walk and stalk. then i found tradgang picked up a cheap recurve and the rest if history as they say. also not many young guys that take hunting with the trad bow as seriously as James Nige and myself.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
It Just Feels Right!
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
When I was teenage kid in the late 1960's I had an uncle who gave me a nice recurve bow. I shot that bow for several years until it was stolen. From that point on I hunted with a gun, primarily because that's the way my father and grandfather hunted. However, in 1997 I came across the Bighorn Bows booth while attending the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation convention in Salt Lake City. From that point on I began to consider making the switch to a bow. Took me several years, but I finally bought a Martin Savannah in 2003 and have not looked back. And as strange as it may sound, for me hunting with a traditional bow seems more in keeping with the type of hunting my grandfather did, and handed down to me, despite the fact that he never used a bow (his weapon of choice was a muzzleloader or unscoped lever gun).
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
Everyone will have a different story about "getting back to traditional", as do I. I bought my firt archery tag in 1987 and hunted with a Darton compound.. Loved it and bowhunting. After a few seasons and getting a few deer killed things just were not fun anymore. I shot my bow everyday out to 50 yards and was deadly with it. If I guessed the distance correctly (years before a laser rangefinder)whatever I was shooting at was in trouble. Just too easy... All I can say is that the modern bows put me on the path that I live today.

It's all about challenge and dedication. Put in the work to be good enough. Only in the dictionary does success come before work.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
I've been tryin' to tell people for years that they are superior weapons for "bowhunting".  I am not willing to accept the limitations compound bows place on me.    :campfire:
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
For me there is no word to explain the pure excitement of a well placed shot from something so sleek and simple. And yet, simple really doesn't fit either, does it?   :)
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »
it was easy for me.  I started shooting in 1957 and didn't have enough sense to switch to a compounds when they came along.  by the time I thought of swtiching to a compond I was not smart enough to figure our how to work it  :)

rusty

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 03:02:00 AM »
started with 'curves, went to compounds and quickly got bored. Stumping with a compound...boring and i don't know why. And i like to hunt from the ground.... stalking and just generally poke around. And it was Swinehearts 'Arrows for a battlewagon ' in Col Allisons 'Trophy Hunters' that really got me interested in hunting with a bow. The photo's of him with his Hill bow and back quiver struck quite a chord with me as an 8yr old and still resonates with me today. Tolkien should take some of the blame...not forgetting Errol Flynn as Mr Robin Hood.  I like compounds. But hunting to me is about the outdoor challenge and the need to simplify. To accept and even relish the limitations that come with equipment choice, ethics and any possible accomplishment that comes my way. And at the very heart of it, i can , in my own little way ,stand beside the Hills, Bears,Doughertys and Hoods that kept me dreaming as a youngster. So its not just about the lack of compounds in my gear, but also the absence of camo, carbon and scent lures, the smell of my wool check shirt, the antler handle of my knife and the yew limbs of my Hill. I don't separate between 'trad' and compounds. I just hunt and fling arrows ....
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 08:29:00 AM »
Like alot of others, I hunted when I was a kid with a recurve.  After leaving the Corps, a buddy got me back into it.  I bought a PSE compound and got real good, got to be any deer within 25 yards was already in the freezer.  One day sitting in my tree stand and letting about 10 does go buy, just having fun watching them.  I looked up at my bow hanging from a limb.  The sight pins (that I had to work on keeping secure.  The arrow rest (man, I had to work to get that tuned just right.  The cable slide.  The cam's which just the year before set the timing back up.  Then I said to myself, "I need more of a challenge than this".  Upon arriving home, my lovely wife, asked how hunting was?  I told her of the deer I seen and let walk buy and the beautiful morning and all the great stuff.  She then said, "Good, what's wrong?"  I said that I am going to get a recurve, need more of a challenge and make it fun again.  That christmas she bought me a PSE takedown.  I finished my bowhunting season and began to play with the bow.  BAM, I realised again how much fun it was to shoot.  Not just shoot an arrow or two to ensure my pins was on.  But to go to a range/field and shoot the bow.  I felt more connected with the woods roving around stump shooting, like it was just mystical.  Fast forward to last year.  I had a buddy out at a range, teaching him how to shoot a recurve.  Some kids came up and shot there compounds about four times.  Then stood there a few minutes watcing us have fun.  I asked if we was keeping them from shooting this target.  They said no, just trying to figure out how you shoot them things.  Well, after mentioning to them a little history and said Fred Bear, Howard Hill, they said who?  WEll, I then began American archery history 101.  They stood there listening in awe, and next thing they knew they was learing how to shoot a longbow.  Afterward then said they had more fun with that stick than there bows.  I explained, that that was a fine hunting machine, but it is just makes me happier shooting this.  A month later was at a 3-D shoot with my friend.  We was having fun, missing targets, breaking arrows, every now and again hitting what we was aiming at, just having fun.  Little later we caught up with the group in front of us, and one of the kids from that "amercan archery history 101" was there with them.  He looked upset and depressed.  So after they all shot, and moved on he asked if he could shoot with us.  I said sure.  After the about four targets he was happy and laughing.  I then said what was wrong?  He said shooting with those guys just depressed me.  They was serious, upset if they was out and inch.  Always messing with this and that.  They step up to the stake and took a minute to shoot.  you guys just shoot and have fun.  I smiled and my buddy giggled and the kid said what.  I said "notice any place you go MAJORITY of your wheel shooter's take this way to seriously.  You can stand at a tournament, and close your eyes-you will here mumbles and gripes, but when you hear laughter 9 out of 10 times they will have a stick and string".  AFter we was done, he said he noticed I was right.  As we walked to the clubhouse, I stopped and said look there.  They looked at a few picnic table and a practice range with people about each.  "The ones sitting at the table's are traditional people, for some reason that clan will sit around and joke and laugh for a long time.  your wheel shooters will turn in there score card, have drink or bite and then gone to there next rush job."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©