3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your Traditional Journey  (Read 479 times)

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your Traditional Journey
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
I started with a cross-bow  when I was a kid. kept it up until about 7 years ago because being a lefty, never had any friends who could let me try their bows and I had had multiple shoulder problems and eventually surgery. Cross-bow was easy to sight in and never let me down when the shot counted---so why change?
Then my buddy finally convinced me to try a compound bow. found a used one pretty cheap and picked it up. Shot a lot that first summer and killed 2 deer that fall. Wasn't any more fun to shoot than my x-bow was in the off season. Either I was "on" or something mechanical was loose and I spent an hour trying to get things right---down right aggravation at times.
So..............same buddy convinces me to try a Trad bow. I'm thinking--"yeah right, my shoulder will never hold up to that!" But, I go to a archery shop and the guy lets me shoot one of his used longbows. shortly after, I buy a Samick recurve because its cheap and I'm not out a whole lot if I don't like it. Problems is: I like it, but bow just doesn't fit my hand well. I find a beautiful Assenhiemer bow with 2 sets of limbs and get it. I try hunting with trad and miss 3 and wound one. I give up and go back to compound. Kill another deer. my buddy basically "Makes" me sell the compound becasue he says I'm using it as a crutch. SO, I do and double my shooting practices + I find this web site and learn a WHOLE LOT from a great group of knowledgeable shooters. Last year I never really got a shot on a deer until last day. I miss because my heavy clothes caugth my bow-string. However I did down a coyote on the run, so I knew I could do it.It was just a mental block--worrying about missing or wounding my target. With the coyote---I just shot: not thinking about anything but my "spot".
 I sold my Assenheimer, again because the grip was just too large for my hand. I bought an Ancient Spirits thunderhawk. Now the grip is perfect fit--can't use that as an excuse.
FINALLY, this year  I get it through my head that I can do this thing and get my first Trad deer. A little doe at 7 yds----but nice blood trail and good eating.
Thanks to all who have helped with their help, advice, and support!

ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your Traditional Journey
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
Starting shooting in 1955 with a Bear bow, never left trad archery never will.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©