3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Farm Hunt  (Read 1012 times)

Offline manyletters

• Trad Bowhunter
Farm Hunt
« on: March 07, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
Hi guys...just had to post about my "farm hunt".
The Tusker b'heads got some negative press the last little while so I wanted to post my "Tusker" experience that occurred today.

A friend of mine has a farm and has buffalo on it. He had been bugging me to come and slaughter one for free. I asked him how he kills it and he said he normally shoots them in the head with a rifle and then bleeds it. I asked him if I could shoot it with my bow to check out penetration. What an opportunity!!!

I am shooting a 55/70 Super Carbon with PDP weighted insert(112gr), 100gr steel b'head adapter with a 160gr TUSKER DELTA...total weight 654gr out of a 56# Chek-mate Thunderbird.  

Now this is not a hunt...I repeat not a hunt, strictly a shooting!!  :readit:    

I got into the pen with about 30 buffalo and the rancher told me to take whatever one I wanted...so I picked the best eating...a 2 year old cow quartering away. I took the shot and got penetration up to the 7" wrap...dead buffalo.

When we skinned her, we found that the b'head cut a rib going in, went though the heart and stuck in the opposite shoulder. I am attaching pics of the carcass along with the b'head which was undamaged. They are an excellent b'head..I hope the pics are ok...there is no hero thing here just information...btw, the carcass is around 650lbs...having tenderloin for dinner today!!  :thumbsup:  

Entry point

Stuck in the opposite shoulder

Tusker Delta after the buffalo

Offline buck-tamer00

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Farm Hunt
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
nice!
how long did it take her to go down???
I belive kids are the future....unless we stop'em now!!!!!!!

elchen recurve bow 47lb @28"

Offline mbbushman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
That's some good eating!

Offline manyletters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
She fell over in about 20 seconds...kinda neat to be able to have a live test subject instead of the "dead cow" thing.

Btw...here is a pic of the christening of the T-bird that Marc from Chek-mate gave me...a Cujo Special!!

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
:archer:   Must have been some close for the spray to get you. No wonder you didn't miss.   :clapper:  
I better start sharpening up the butcher Knives.   :biglaugh:

I guess the Tusker stood up well after hitting the shoulder bones.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
We all know you can't kill a dead cow with a field point, but I wonder if you could kill a dead cow with a Tusker?....................

Send me a freshly killed beef, a package of Tuskers, a new bow, arrows, and feathers, and I will field test my idea for you.  I might need a couple of the new knives you are selling now to autopsy the Dead cow (Read Butcher for my freezer) with.  LOL!!!!

BTW are you really selling perogies now????  Pete told me you were, but I never believe PETE!!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline manyletters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
Perogies, cabbage rolls, anything a basement dealer can get his hands on...ya shoulda been there Brian...interesting to say the least...made a few new believers in the power of the bow & arrow.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 12:09:00 AM »
IF you would have called me I WOULD HAVE been there!!!!

I would drive 3 hours for free Buff meat.

I actually filled an empty freezer in the garage with scraps from a 5 calf bisons that were butcherd.  I plan on feeding them to the bears this spring, but they gave me a hankering for a Buff steak.  When are you bringing me some???  LOL!!!

Looks like lots of good eating!!!

Look like the fabled poor steel bendy heads aren't all bad either.  LOL!!!  Did you hit it with the first shot?  You don't have to answer if you don't want.  HA HA HA!!!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
Dennis,

WHERE'S MY BUFF STEAK??????

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline manyletters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »
It's in the mail...Pete's coming down on the 23rd to pick up his half so I cut a steak off of his half.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
ROTFLOL!!!!!

In His service,
Brian Rice

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
All the Hunting Aside, that is one Beautiful Bow!! I Love that Wood!! Good Shooting too!!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »
Shakes,

That is a BEAUTIFUL bow.  I think it is called Curly Tamo Ash.  I probably got it wrong, but it is nice.  I got to shoot it a few weeks ago.  One of the prettiest Checkmates I have ever seen, and I owned a Cujo Special Myself once.

Besides not inviting me down to eat his Buff, Dennis is a great guy too.  Don't tell him I said that though.  It might ruin my reputation.

In His service,
Brian Rice

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©