3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Braving the elements,how far??  (Read 735 times)

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Braving the elements,how far??
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
I don't have a problem with hunting in sub 0 weather but that wind is another story.  The mercury was +1 this morning and I was up and ready to go until I opened the door and at 30 mph gust of wind hit me in the face.   This round to the deer if they are up moving around in this.  Made some coffee, threw another log on the fire and paced in front of the window.  Still got a couple of weeks left. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »
I'm with Dino, I used to go out in dang near anything, but I'd like to think I'm a bit smarter now than then.  Truth is, I'm a bit softer.

Don't mind the cold, but in Alaska it was always calm when cold so it was OK.  Here today we're somewhere around -15 with the wind chill and I'd much rather hunt in a calm -40.  Although I always worried that my bow would break in that cold, it never did.

Yeah we have a couple weeks left.  We'll get some more time out in it.  Now more because it's almost over.

I always make it a point to hunt the last day of season no matter how bad the weather is.  That to me is the true passing of another year.  It's a bitter-sweet moment that I like to savor each year.  With a prayer or two...

todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
I actually tried to go out today, minus 8 with 25 to 35 mph winds. I was not able to get within 3 miles of the spot I intended to hunt due to drifting snow. Probably just as well as I think even the deer have enough common sense to hunker down in these conditions!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©