3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: WHAT THE HECK?  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: WHAT THE HECK?
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
OK, Rooselk and FlintTim you are in time out.  LOL

This thread is tongue in cheek and not ment to get hard core political.  Or even factual.

Lighten up before the moderators kill it.

Go kill something it will make ya feel better.

Mike
I'd like nothing better than to be out bunny hunting today. But like many of you folks I'm staying indoors due to the snow and road conditions.  

:(

But point taken. I'll be good.   :D
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
You're right Wingnutty ( I borrowed Rusty's name for you, like the old days)  I'm too cold to argue politics anyway.
 I killed a deer yesterday morning, and until I get back to the woods Friday I'm done killin'. Well I might knock off a beer or two, but only in self defense. LOL.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
its -16 now was -28 last night with clearskies tonight I bet it'll get colder. (not much for wind today so that helps a bunch)
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
Just about 36" of snow on the ground here now and still falling.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
Snowed all day ,let up and then started again. 8" fresh and still snowing. The Carolinas are looking better all the time. Could be hunt'n some pigs!!!!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
It was -15 when Doug and I headed to our whitetail/elk stands this morning.  A couple of other friends decided they didn't want to hunt this morning, I wonder why?  One thing I can tell you though, it is a a lot easier to chase kitties when it is -23 the it is to sit in a treestand at -15.  :coffee:
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
I spent the last 2 days looking for deer a little ways from my house, 20" of snow and still coming down I figured I would see a couple. I didn't see a single deer and the only fresh tracks were in my yard when I got home!
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
Mark Twain said he asked an Iowa farmer about the winter and the farmer told him, "If we'd had another inch on the thermometer we'd have all froze to death."

Mine has been stuck in the minus range for a few days with lots of wind, but its gun season anyway. Back to bow season tomorrow with a warm spell (above zero) this week.

And only a week to go before I wander south to see how cold TX is for myself. 10 day forecast for Austin area looks like highs in the 60's. I can hunt in that in a tee shirt.

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
Global warming is,has and always will be a joke in the Adirondacks.

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
WingNut....I keep hopin to move to Idaho.....but it's cold here (down to 20's) tonight. Don't know if I could handle 6-8 months of this!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
I was goin' to hunt this mornin, gotup and headed to the stand @ 5:30, made it off the porch and the wind was blowin out of the north @20MPH. So I turned around and headed for the bed room, crawled back in bed with my wife, and said "it's darn cold out there" she replyed, Yea and can you belive my husband is out hunting in this weather!!!....AND THE FIGHT WAS ON!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
It's -5 in Illinois, and the wind is blowing about 20-30 mph. Once you get into the timber the wind is not so bad. However we had ice on Friday and some more yesterday, and you can't walk on this stuff. I stayed home. Boys just came home from college and we had an indoor tournament. I won a couple of rounds, but it was nice to see the boys win a few too, esp the youngest one. We'll see if we have some thaw and try again. Actually, if it were just the cold, it's good hunting weather. The wind and ice are killers, however.

Good hunting guys
sam

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »

How the heck do you north guys hunt in this?
LOL
Mike
Well first you've got to layer your clothes and stay away from cotton if possible. Start with something next to the skin and gradually have looser outer garment to allow for air to breath. Avoid sweating and get some of those hand warmers for your boots and gloves. I eat like a horse too so I can maintain high calories for my body to burn while it's keeping warm.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
longarrow, I don't care who you are, that's funny right there
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
Hey lady's let stay on track here.Mike was kind enough to start this thread and we gotta respect him for that and stay on topic..
Darn it,it's the last week of deer season out here.I was gonna sneek off for 4-5 days and chase some blacktail around buit not gonna happen I guess.We're getting pounded with snow agian in the great northwest.The weather man is talking snow and freezeing temps all week.Don't look like I'll be makeing it out.bowdoc

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
It was 65 deg this morning.  We are having a cold front move through right now.  It's gonna be cold tommorrow.  It will only reach the lower 50s.  I'm gonna have to wear extra clothes, so I don't freeze!  Supposed to hit 80 Christmas day.  That stinks!  We haven't had snow since 1989.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
Hey this just ain't right.  I was pig hunting last night and it was 64 degrees and it dropped when the sun went down to 41 when I finally got home.

It's 19 with a windchill of 2 degrees F.

I packing my stuff and dog and headed south.  The dang Democrats cure global warming and started an iceage.

How the heck do you north guys hunt in this?

LOL

Mike
Well Mike, We put on pants & long sleeve shirts...

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
...yea, and can you believe....
Now, I gotta clean tea off my keyboard!!

Believe what you will...it's winter, and it's cold!
Anyone really surprised?
Keep a weather eye towards the sun; it'll tell you a lot!!
Mike, I'd be happy to meet you in the middle of the thermometer...I'll bring you an extra wool sweater!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Bowshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
It's -25 Celcius and windy today and will be for a while yet, it is supposed to get really cold in the next couple of days, wind chill in the -40 range which is -40 F as well. Deer season is over and coyote hunting is on now. Got one last week and heading out tuesday for another go with the longbow. Wear Helly Hansen polypro underwear, thick fleece bottoms, a set of wool pants and Cotton snow camo over top as a wind break. A good wool parka with a down vest over a wool sweater, thick polypro shirt up top and a real good block heater on your head. For footwear, polypro socks, 2 pairs of handmade wool socks (thick and thicker) and a pair of moccassin rubbers over top. Your feet will be scary warm, any perspiration moves away from your feet and life is great. The snow sits on top of the wool socks and doesn't have any negative effect until you get into a warm vehicle, then look out, you will be wishing your buddy was wearing your feet. Leather moccasins over top are pretty good as well but trap the moisture from your feet. The moccasin rubbers are for traction and protection, they are little tough to find unless you get up north where they are more popular. Wool gloves under large fleece lined leather mitts for your hands...nothing else comes close except for wool gloves inside wool mitt liners inside large leather mittens. Use those kid strings attached to the mitts when you get to shoot, just shake them off and let them hang, easy to get back on quickly. Wear a tab over your wool glove inside the mitt on your shooting hand.

Terry

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
-4 with a wind chill at - 36.  She is a blowing.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©