3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Beginner Longbow- what to look for?  (Read 357 times)

Offline NewtoTrad2008

• Trad Bowhunter
Beginner Longbow- what to look for?
« on: December 22, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »
I want to get a longbow but I am on a budget (I have to sell my confound first)around $350. I draw 26 1/2" and would like something I can hunt deer and elk with when I get proficient. I don't have any experience shooting one, but I have a real desire to start, they just look so cool! I have a recurve that I am shooting now and love it, but I just can't fight the feeling that I NEED a longbow. I have been drooling over the bows in the classifieds for a couple of months now and I can't stop looking.
Any ideas on where I can sell my compound would be great, I have tried a couple of other sites with no luck.
Any recomendations on what I should look for are welcome!
Kanati 56" 55#@26" missing :-(
Mohawk 64" 60#@28"
Ben Pearson KM Special 50#@28"
Matt

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Beginner Longbow- what to look for?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by NewtoTrad2008:
I have to sell my confound first
Hehe - I like that.

You may want to check a few of the threads here about Bear Montana vs. Martin Savannah.  Both are good longbows that fit in your budget.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
one you like whatever feels good in your hands if you plan to hunt get one around 50ish at 28" min as with a 26"  draw you will loose some weight due to short draw,also most long bows are slower than recurves at the same poundage
Gord

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
For your compound look at E@*y

As for the longbow I would go to some shoots and try some out there to see what you like.

Also check out the classifieds here. Some really nice bows for sale all the time.

Offline elkshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
Here's another option that I went with...make yer own.  It's not hard and there are a ton of "how tos" on this fine site and others.

Start with a red oak board from home depot/lowes, back it with linen from the thrift store, tiller it and you will have a bow for < $12 and a little of your own sweat equity.

Mine came out at 48 lbs at 28".  It was a little lighter than I wanted it, so I'm not making #2 from an osage stave.  Shooting for 55# elk/deer killing machine.

It's so much fun to make, then shoot your own bow and  the price is right!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
I've sold a bunch of compounds on the auction site.  If it's a late model, you can do fairly well.  A package deal is easier to get rid of.  Take plenty of really good photos.  Make it a no reserve auction to encourage plenty of bidding.  Good luck.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »
A bow with lots of old deer-blood stains on it!   :scared:

Offline NewtoTrad2008

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 12:28:00 AM »
HA! I've been looking for one of those Dave, but it seems prople want to hold on to their Bloody Bows!
I think I am going to list it on that auction site and see what happens. I did ask Santa for one but "she" just looked at me and said "huh?"  :confused:  
Thanks everyone for your insite, I am sure when I have the money burning a hole in my pocket I will be asking for more advice.
Merry Christmas!
Kanati 56" 55#@26" missing :-(
Mohawk 64" 60#@28"
Ben Pearson KM Special 50#@28"
Matt

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »
Most important for your first.. Buy a bow you can draw and shoot... NOT too heavy a draw weight. 50-55 pound bow is good to learn with and will kill any deer, pronhorn, black bear, hog in the USA.
Lighter drawing bow will help you to learn and KEEP good shooting form. Also look at a bow that is close to being center shot. Much easier to shoot well and to tune the arrows to the bow..

You will fall in love with longbows.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Doug A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
I really like my Viper longbow.  I picked it up from KustomKing for $200.  I am going to go the build-your-own route for my next bow.
Member UBNJ, TANJ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©