3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Stand Camo  (Read 590 times)

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
Tree Stand Camo
« on: December 22, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
Does any body use different camo on a tree stand than on a ground blind? Does it make a difference? Ive been hunting on a tree stand about 15' up and almost every deer that comes by will look at me. I don't have much cover and am kind of exposed. I guess I look like a big dark bump on a skinny tree. I was wondering if the fall grey pattern that Preditor sells or another brand would make a difference? Any advise or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree Stand Camo
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
This time of year go with a snow camo. With the white and gray shades you will disappear against the cloudy sky.

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
I dont think camo is as important as not sticking out like a sore thumb. Its hard this time of year with the leaves gone not to look like a blob, but if the deer are looking at you, you need to put your stand in a larger tree. Or a least in a tree with something behind you to keep you from being skylighted.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
I was wearing predator brown deception and had a couple deer lookup at me. They never really spooked just slowly walked away.  I second the fall grey or snow camo this time of year.  You just need to look non-threatening to the deer.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
The right tree is never where it needs to be!

We have started ziptying some decent sized pin oak or cedar limbs to the tree and stand to give a bigger brushy appearance. Works like a charm,we have one stand we call the power pole stand! Taken a couple deer and a bobcat from it,a smallish cottonwood with pin oak limbs temporarily grafted! LOL
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline cooncrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
i  realy like the predator its like they look right through ya i realy like it
walk softly and carry a big stick

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
i prefer a open pattern in the later part of the season.greys,and blacks and white..
i like biscuits

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
one word ..... asat

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
I wear a mixture of plaid, camo, and carhart.  Our deer are very spooky and tend to look up very often.  The one thing I make sure of regardless of what I'm wearing is to keep my bow in front of me when a deer is coming in.  This really helps break my outline up.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
I always prefer an open, lighter pattern.  Two of my favorites are KOM blow down and Autumwood winter.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 08:06:00 PM »
WE have a lot of pines here and this time of year tjhey have quite a few yellow needles mixed in with the greren , Predator spring green camo and you can really get lost . Like Kenny I also take any branches I cut out of the way and tie them around the tree creating a nest , works great . Fred
Greyfox54

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »
Not much cover, Predator Gray should blend in better than the darker shades.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Pruneemac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
In the summer during archery deer I hunt in the Aspens. So I have ASpen camo White/green. If Im on the ground It doesnt seem to matter as long as your face is covered. In a ground blind Since the interior is black I cover my face with a black hoodie.

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
Cover your face and use a light camo pattern.  But if you stick out like a sore thumb, it really does not matter what camo pattern you use.

I hate to say it, but the walmart brand camo is actually pretty good for late season.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »
I've had really good luck with Predator, and that's about all I use now.  Many times I have deer look right at me and then turn and go about their business.  Not always, of course, but more often than not.  ASAT of course is another good one.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 07:07:00 AM »
Have you tried a ground blind or looked for a better tree in the area?  

I also use Predator. Have had really good luck with it.

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 07:32:00 AM »
The new Mossyoak Treestand pattern works really good in bare trees with no leaves, and ASAT camo is good to. You learn to match your camo with your set pretty quick if you hunt the deer around here they will spot you on the ground or in a tree well before you can shoot if you do not match the cover.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
my humble opinion is the camo pattern doesn't matter as much as the outer layer being wool.  the way it diffuses light does way more than any pattern.

I've had great success with swedish wool surplus pants and a wool plaid coat. deer may look, but don't see 'anything' they would get concerned about (unless it moves).
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 01:13:00 PM »
Thanks guys for all the info. Lot of good ideas. I like preditor camo. On the ground it works great. But I been using the deception brown pattern on the tree stand and deer look at me and some times their ok and sometimes thier not. Im hunting in some mesquite trees so there is not a lot of cover. I have zip tied some branches behind me, maybe I need to do more. Im after my first whitetail and its been the hardest thing I ever done. I got a few more weeks before the seasons over. Thanks Again. Merry Christmas. Gilbert.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
ASAT

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©