3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Widow shooting clinic  (Read 438 times)

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
Widow shooting clinic
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
i have been reading as much as i can lately about Black widows, and was wondering how many of you have attended the shooting clinic? i see that g. fred asbell teaches form and bow tuning.
im pretty sure its something that i will never get to, but it does sound like a blast.   :archer:    3 days of shootin widows, talkin trad. sounds like a good time to me...

jamie
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Widow shooting clinic
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
I attended a few years ago.  I had read all of Fred's books, watched his videos, and practiced his style as much as I could on my own.  But I was never sure that I was doing it right.  It was great to attend the clinic and learn it straight from the horse's mouth (sorry Fred!).  He tweaked a few things in my form, and by the end of the clinic I felt a lot more confident about what I was doing.

Ken Beck taught us about tuning arrows.  Ken and all the other people from Black Widow were very hospitable.  The food was great, and we all had a good time.  I've considered going back again just because of the good feelings I have about the experience.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
what do they charge for a clinic
i like biscuits

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »
its 410.00 for the clinic. which i guess isnt bad, considering i hear really good  things about it.
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Gene Hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
It's a very good, comprehensive learning experience. I attended a few years back.  Even a "good" shooter will learn things to make them better.  You will shoot so many arrows that your fingers will feel like they are on fire.  Now, if G. Fred could teach a person how to cope with nerves when the big boy walks in...
  Gene Hall

Offline Bow n' errors

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
I attended the most recent clinc this past May and agree completely with McDave and Gene above.  Even though I had read and incorporated much of GFA's written advice, there were parts, such as the stance and the swing draw, that I had a trouble doing before the clinic, but Fred sort of helps you put it all together.

For me, it was not only a great chance to meet and hang around with Fred, Ken, the BW bunch, and great bunch of fellows from all corners of the traditional community, but I think it really helped me turn the corner on confidence, which I was sadly lacking prior to the clinic.  I was really getting to the point of feeling hopeless after many years and unfilled tags.  I've also always had trouble shooting around other folks and the clinic really helped with that.  Fred was an absolutely humble, affable, and approachable fellow who was a great and very patient teacher who spent individual time with each participant to help them with their form.  Ken Beck is also quite the gentleman and, like Fred, a real great source of shooting, tuning and hunting experience. Ken spends the last afternoon helping each shooter tune their specific set up.

During the clinic there are racks and racks of BW test drive bows to try while there, right behind the shooting line, all models in many different weights, a great opportunity to try evey BW model on for fit and shootability.

BTW, probably 3/4's of those in attendance already had BW's, but I didn't take a BW or buy one (yet), but was very impressed with the process, quality control, consistency and overall hospitality of the folk who work there.

As said above, great hospitality (with NO pressure to order or use a BW), great food and overall, a great experience.  I would recommend it to all but the most accomplished and savy of hunters.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM or call (916) 605-6221 for additional details.
Curt

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©