3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody killed anything with the Ashby BH's?  (Read 570 times)

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Anybody killed anything with the Ashby BH's?
« on: December 23, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
Just checking to see if anyone has had any luck yet with the Alaska Bowhunting Ashby Heads? Any pic's?  

Thanks   Terry
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody killed anything with the Ashby BH's?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
killed my budget !    

Got one from a fellow Tradganger, at a very reduced rate I may add, and I am putting it on my wall.  It is an awesome head and I have no doubt whatever it goes thru is dead if even remotely in the right spot.  Heck, it might even kill it if it is in the wrong spot.  Maybe even if it passes by at close range..  I don't know.  

I am a very amateur broadhead collector and I can say without doubt that this is the best designed, strongest appearing head I have seen.

But alas.  I can't afford to hunt with them.  Wish I could !
ChuckC

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
I guess somethings aren't for everyone... like someone posted about cost of heads vs. a $1000 or more bow. I can't afford the latter either.   :(  

I just talked to Ed Schlief briefly the other day and asked about his new heads...the Ashby.

He told me a guy shot through a elephant with one... but it hit the off-side rib or it would likely have passed through!    :eek:   I didn't think to ask about the bow... I just can't imagine shooting AT an elephant with a bow!

I'm guessin if you can afford to hunt elephants...
a) the cost of a broadhead is nuttin and
b) if you're hunting elephants with a bow of some sort...you are shooting a "big honking bow".

You can email Ed at [email protected]
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
id love to buy a few but unfortunately with my in college budget there out of the question. ill let you know in 3.5 years when im out of school!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
Just the trophy fee for an elephant (at least a trophy bull) is $10,000, so who cares at that point what the broadhead costs. Actually, the bigger cost is the day rate for an elephant hunt that runs around $1,200 a day for a minimum of 21 days, and in some places it is more expensive. Plus there are airline tickets, charter flights, tips, other trophy fees and plenty more costs involved. At $30 each, even an expensive broadhead is nothing compared to the total cost. As to the bow, money won't pull it back for you when you draw, so you have to provide your own strength, and many of us don't have that either.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 12:37:00 AM »
I just looked at the website...are they 89.95 for 3 or for 1?!!! Either way, too rich for my blood.

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 12:44:00 AM »
Says 3 per pack.
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 01:02:00 AM »
Yes, people have killed animals with the head.

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »
Ok I am gonna ask a dumb question. Are they screw-in or glue-on?  I am assuming screw-in but just had to ask.
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
Screw in
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »
I bit the bullet and ordered some.  They were on backorder so I have not received them yet.

I figure the next time I release an arrow that for whatever reason hits the front shoulder and, assuming they work like advertised, it goes through and does the appropriate damage, I will believe they are worth every penny.  And be glad I spent the money!

Of course, I will be cussing up a storm if I completely miss and it is destroyed by hitting a rock!

When I get them and get to try them, I will let ya know what I think!

I also look at it this way.  An overly expensive bow is not going to make me a better shot.  But, again if it works as advertised, this broadhead could help on those occasionally bad shots.
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »
Chip... I won't shoot this one so I don't know for sure,  but I am guessing that a mere rock is not gonna destroy an Ashby head.  It will certainly cause damage but I am guessing it will survive very well to go hunting another day.
ChuckC

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »
I'm opinionated, but gheesh how rich are you old boys. My magnus shoot through about everything. Come on now !

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
Tom, do you have any more info. on who and what was killed with this heads?
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »
Jack - you shoot a cheap bow too right?

$25 each Ashby head vs a $3 Magnus would equate to a guy shooting a $750 Widow vs your ... what would it be, $90 bow ?

hmmmm    ;)

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »
Again, the thread is about what has been killed with the broadhead.

Let's hear comments about that.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Strutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
The heads have cleanly killed several fake leather wallets.  Gutted them out with just one purchase.  The shooters/spenders say they have not seen the wallets emptied so fast since their wife hit the mall the day after Thanksgiving.  Truly amazing.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
Brad, I don't typically lose my bow when I shoot at an animal.  I have been hunting from the ground in a marsh lately and a miss means a lost arrow.   Using Grizzly sticks and an Ashby head means I just lost $40.  

Just the fact of knowing that makes me have less fun out there.   Sorry, but I cut corners where I can.   BTW  I don't have or shoot a $1,000 bow either.  And yes, I CAN build a bow for $90.

As I said above, they are great looking heads.  If you can or want to afford to shoot them,  wow,  great.  I choose to not do so.
ChuckC

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
$89.95/3 = $29.97 plus shipping and handling.

This might explain why we aren't hearing much about kills. It looks like a great broadhead, but no one is brave enough to shoot one for fear of losing it.    :scared:  

Aside from the cost, I have a question about the design. It looks like the back of the blades are sharpened. What is the purpose of that? I like to set up my arrows so I draw the back of the broadhead to my finger. I want to know I'm at full draw, not draw blood. Is there a practical purpose for sharpening the trailing edge of the broadhead?

I think we are probably getting all worked up for nothing here though. These are fine heads, designed to take large or dangerous game. Most of us are hunting things from squirrels up to and including whitetails. A better comparison than the cost of the bow, which is really irrelevant since Ashby's can be shot from any bow, might be using a .270 Winchester or a .458 Winchester Magnum. Both will kill whitetails. I wouldn't hunt cape buffalo or brown bears with the .270. I'd take it over the .458 for whitetails every time. Still, the .458 might be better if I make a poor shot on the deer...
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
30  I believe the design allows it to cut going out  (if it is pulled back out by the critter..ie   not a pass thru.)  You can always take a stone to the rear and dull them enough to not cut you.

Keeping with the intent of the thread... I would also sure like to hear of results.  I am certain there are some already.  Darn nice looking and well made heads.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©