3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody killed anything with the Ashby BH's?  (Read 569 times)

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody killed anything with the Ashby BH's?
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
I will tell you next year, i will be buying some.....eventually
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
Come on guys didnt ask opinion on cost just if anyone had shot anything and any pic's....tnx  terry
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
Bona, I've got a sneaking feeling Ray Hammond has killed several pigs with the heads. My memory is bad so I can't be sure. I just remember reading that someone did and Ray comes to mind.

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
It would be kind of an audacious display of affluence for me to hunt whitetails with one.
And Im not affluent.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
Huh?
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
It would be a needless wste of money I dont have.

(Im sure they are great on some game but whitetails die just fine to cheaper points.)
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline E. Texas HillBilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
Hello Fellas,
                I have killed 15 or so hogs with the same one. And there are many more waiting to be skewered with them. And no, I'm not rich or affluent, but I can make a Zwickey last for years I figure these babies will last forever. Note: I rarely lose arrows or shoot them into rocks. When I do misplace an arrow I search until I find it. If you lose lots o' arrows or shoot them into rocks, I don't recommend you purchase these heads. They have performed beautifully by the way and only needed alittle touch up here and there. And on one piggie I shot dead center in the spine it actually blew all the way through and buried to the nock. This is out of a 70# HH bow mind you and the arrows are around 900grns. I made a nearly identical shot with a Zwickey not long ago and it only buried 3 or so inches, not that I don't like Zwickeys cuz I do. But I tell you true, the shots, animals and circumstances were nearly identical. The Ashby's penetration is unreal. A great broadhead for a good price me thinks.
                            -Hillbilly
The quiet, still watcher sees the most. -Paps

Offline E. Texas HillBilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
Hey again,
            To clear up any questions, the spine shots were both into the center mass of the bone. I cut them open and looked. And no I don't have any pics as I have the technical knowledge of a shrew...and my wife probably would not like pics of an eviscerated carcass on her camera anyway.
                  Hillbilly
                                     -
The quiet, still watcher sees the most. -Paps

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
I don't own any $30 each broadheads but I do have one custom high dollar knife. A standred buck knife will work yes, but my custom knife has better steel,better edge, sharpens better and will get so sticking sharp it will cut you just looking at the edge to long  :)  If these $30 each broadheads have the same steel and craftmanship they are mostlikely worth the cost. Just because some of us are to tight to spend the money doesn't mean they aren't worth the cost. I think sometime soon down the road I am going to buy myself a pack of the new SF 1.5" that are coming out in the 150gr size. I can't afford a whole quiver full of them but maybe 3 if for no other reason then to add to my collection of broadheads.

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
Well said Steel.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
I like the design and have thought about using them on an upcoming Buff hunt . I'm leaning toward the single bevel glus-ons since they come either right or left bevel depending on your feathers . Maybe they will send me some to field test ? Nice thought , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
I took my 1911 self-defense pistol to the range saturday for some practice and blew $60 in ammo (won't use reloads for carry). I was really ticked off when I got done too - I didn't find a single one of those bullets!   :bigsmyl:
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »
LOL.... Neal. How true is that statement!

I look at it this way, if the head is to high in price, then please do not buy it. It's that simple really.

Me myself, I'm a STOS and a Woodsman fan & living here in Oz jacks up the price when I order from the US, although there are cheeper heads made here in Oz, (to a very fine standard, I might add) I just like the heads I like, regardless of cost.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
Like Al said, too many capable broadheads out there to spend that much. I like the woodsman and Fishhead for a 2 blade.If I need something tougher I'll throw on a couple of Grizzlies...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
Use the Ashby's for hunting.

For practice, trace the profile of the Ashby on your Mastercard, cut to shape, and epoxy to a fieldpoint.

I may buy a three pack just for the coolness factor, and put them on a Flu Flu or a tethered fishing arrow.

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
I see these heads are imported, that bothers me more than the price. Does anyone know where they are made?

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
Herb from Canada sold me a single silver flame a few years back  I took it to MO and as I stood in my stand i could hear turkeys, so i mouth called a few low clucks.  Here they came -two hens, I thought-who doesn't- they were not able to see me, drew my Pronghorn and promptly drove $30 Silver Falme into some loose dirt and rock as she ducked under the shot. Hell I could miss with a $100 BH.
Where is old Herb?  I liked hearing from him.....
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©