3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Home made equipment  (Read 423 times)

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
Home made equipment
« on: December 23, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
Gopher with his Alcohol Burner he made got me to thinking and I know some of you make stuff to work on archery equipment. Please show us some  :campfire:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Home made equipment
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
Here is a spine tester I built using plans from 2jays he posted online.  Works great, costs nothing as I had all of the junk to build it.

Now don't laugh at this one as it has functioned flawlessly for 41 years.  It's my bow hauling and lowering rope with a couple of unique practical functions.  I thread it onto my belt through the loop and the old treesteps package keeps the cord from tangling.

When ascending the tree with a climbing stand I tie the hook end to the bottom limb of the bow and climb the tree.  The cord length is the exact distance I want to shoot from so it tugs on my belt to let me know I've reached the height I want.

When in the tree I can use the hook to either hook something else to haul up or in one case I picked up my hat that fell off when putting up stand.  Saved climbing down and repeating the whole procedure.

When descending I lower bow with hook, give it a shake and the hook is free to lower other items like a pack, etc.

Told you not to laugh.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
Where can I find 2jays spine tester post ???

Thanks ahead of time.

Reddogge, that hook and line looks like it does what it needs to do. Simple is best.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
Here you go.  In order to make Line A 2" long as suggested by 2jays you need to increase the scale to 142% and print.  You will understand when you read the directions.

I used a digital scale I borrowed from my bass club to weigh the 2# of lead and hook and melted it and poured it in a round lead melting pan to form the weight.

web page  
or
  http://nativeskills.madduckoutdoors.com/jcs_spine_tester.htm
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
I've made a few quivers, arm gards and such and I will be making that spine tester. I have a rope with an old treble hook ( barbs filed off) I use for pulling bow and packs up to the stand

I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline firewater100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »
Grey Buffalo
     I saw a tread from last year when you posted the ? deer skin plains type quiver? I would like to see a picture of the knife it apears to be a deer antler gurka? knife. Whats with it and why did you chose that style of blade.
     Sorry if this is a little off topic

later
scott
Firewater Unlimited.....  F.U.
Later
         Scott Wagner
Firewater Unlimited bows
    Where there motto is
              -  F.  U.  -
I can do it on my own

WWW.benifits4kids.org

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »
Cresting lathe made from a sewing machne motor

"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
cool

Offline ilarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 12:43:00 AM »
Well the last few years I have made something every year when its too cold to go hunting or after hunting season.

I have made a pair of insulated boot covers like the artic sheild boot covers, a very useful broadhead knife that I carry when hunting, and even a cresting machine like the one above, I haven't crested any arrows yet but I have 2 doz shafts coming next week to try it out.

Some things that are one my list this year are a ghille suit, a back quiver from a coyote skin I hope to shoot this year and some wool clothing like Ron La Clair has on his site with the thick wool blankets I have stored away.

Thats just the short list!  :D  

BTW, I have a haul rope almost like the one above,,,,I don't beleive in buying haul lines!!!
Brent Wolber
IBEP Instructor
I live for ARCHERY!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »
ttt
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 02:47:00 PM »
I really enjoy threads about making our own equipment.

I would like to suggest that we post these in the How To - Resources Forum in the Main Forum also so they don't get pushed down the list in Pow Wow and forever be lost until someone stumbles across them.

A lot of great how to's on here and would be nice to be able to go to one spot and find them.

Just a thought.

bhfp
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
AWESOME!!!!
Really nice work guys   :readit:  

Thanks! The Newbie.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »

This is "BUCKIE  the wonder decoy.   :notworthy:  
, and the best $3.00 I ever spent.
 I know there are some other "Buckie look a likes out there, but I didn't hear how well the produced this year.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline V-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
Here is some home made stuff I use.

Arrow crester

pre-)tiller jig.

"If you have the will to win you have achieved half your success; if you don't, you have achieved half your failure"

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
This is an awesome thread guys! I too want to make a quiver like the plains style but have no idea where to find a pattern or what-not.
 :clapper:
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 05:58:00 AM »
I had a load of leather i picked up years ago in my fabric box so when i started archery a few months ago i thought i'd save a little money and use it all up.  The leather is 5mm thick so a bit of overkill but that's all i had to use.  I drilled each sewing hole with a 2mm drill bit and then hand sewn with flax...

Bracer...  

Quiver...

:)
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline barebow17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 06:54:00 AM »
JERRY- NICE QUIVERS.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©