3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: your all time favourite go-to bowhunting binocular?  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: your all time favourite go-to bowhunting binocular?
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
The Nikon Monarch 10X42's were the Consumer Report winner according to my wife (who bought me mine -to keep me from spending big money on another brand).
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
Get the best glass you can buy. I really like my 8.5 x 42 Swarovski. Maybe not as compact as the 8 x 30's, but I can pick out the open spaces inside the bush and trees and pick out the little pieces of the animals in the shade with these. Great light gathering, sturdy, etc...
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
I don't have any experience with high end binos,so I don't yet know what I'm missing! But I really like my 6x30 Leupold Yosemite's. I believe they have a good warranty. I can't imagine a better bino for under $100. They are fairly compact and the 6 power is really easy to hold steady on moving game and they are about perfect for the small woodlots and thicker cover that I hunt. There aren't many options out there for binoculars that are less than 8X, which is what I wanted.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »
I'm glad I went the route of buying my swaroskis the first time. Bought a pair of 8x30's in 1990 for $350. Best money I spent. 2 years ago the hook for the strap broke while hopping a fence/ I sent them back and they sent my a whole new body with the same lenses in them. No charge.
The 8x30's are the right combination of size and weight. I carry them every time I go out.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline deertraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »
I bought these this year and like them very much. Leupold Katmai 8x32. They seem the right size for the area I live in. Nice size to use and wear while hunting.
 http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/binoculars/katmai-series/katmai-8x32mm/
Dave
Phil. 2:6-11

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
I have a old pair of Bausch & Lomb Discovery series in a 7x42 they are excellent for light gathering in the thick stuff. I also have a new pair of Bushnell Elite's in a 10x42 for more open country. I would stay with the lower magnification if I had to choose one pair. To much magnification in the woods turns twigs into tree trunks.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
Walt Francis nailed it spot on.

I had already sent several hundred dollars on CHEEP binoculars with crossed eyes and headaches.

In 1984 I spent $550.00 on a pair of zeiss 10x40, 24 years latter I am still hunting with them, I had to send them back once for repair ( my fault )

Out west I spend a lot of time behind my glasses, 90% spot and stock, if you cant see it you cant hunt it.

If you hunt mostly from trees, I don't think your binocular choice is as important.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
I love Leicas...always have, always will.

I hunt out West..and the 10x42's are the finest optics I've ever used. A little heavier than the Swaros because they use a metal body, rather than the polycarbonate.

However, someone came to our spot and stalk hog camp with a pair of 6x30 Leupold Green Ring binocs. They are under 100 dollars on the web. I poo-pooed them right off the bat.

Then I used them. I have to say I was amazed. For thick country, like where I hunt in SC these are all the binocs you need as a bowhunter. If you also hunt with firearms, probably should think about something else.

Great warranty, great price, and fantastic glass.
I never believed it possible...but I have used mine now for 5 months and they work great.

I highly recommend them.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
Stiener Predators, 8x30. They do everything I ask of them in the deer woods for about $300.00.

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »
I have Swarovski 8x30 that I absolutely love !!!!

A couple of years ago I bought my wife a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x30 that for the price are great  ......... they come very close to the Swarovskis

I was so impressed wiyh the Nikons I also bought a pair of their big ones ( 10 x 56 ) for summer scouting and out of the truck watching . They are also very good .

All in all ,for the money  ......... Nikon Monarch are a good value
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline BFinegan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »
I don't have anything else to compare them too but I do like my Vortex. They were recommended on here sometime this past year.
"Ships in Harbor are safe, but that is not what Ships were made for"

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
Nikon 8 X 42, Monarch ATB.  Great binocs at a great price. They don't weigh much, and they have very good optics. They won't break the bank either.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
I use a pair of 6x32 Eagle Optic Ranger Platinum's. They don't make this model any longer but if you find a set on fleabay, buy them. They offer very sharp and bright optics and come with a no fault lifetime warrentee and it doesn't matter who orginally bought the glasses, the warentee follows the bino's. They offer a 400+ foot FOV. Think I paid $150 for them. I also have owned some high end glasses (Leica/Zeiss/B&L Elites,ect) and take nothing away from them, they are some of the best glasses you can buy but also understand that there are some real good "bargin" glasses out there. Kahles and Fujinon also make some nice glasses. Good luck in your search!
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2008, 07:44:00 AM »
Vortex Fury 6X32.  Perfect for the wood lots I hunt.  Extremely wide FOV.  Bright, clear, reasonably priced, and a full life-time "no questions asked" guarantee that is transferrable to any new owner (does not require proof of purchase).  If you drop them and break them they will replace them at no charge.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2008, 07:53:00 AM »
leuopold Katmai 6x30
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
I'll also say that I like the Leupold Katmai 6X30.  They are a little smaller and lighter than the Vortex Fury's.  I read a couple of reviews and the Fury won in most areas (FOV, brightness and depth of field), however, they are larger and about 4 ounces heavier.  I might end up getting a pair myself someday.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
I own 8x32BA Leica, very compact and the best investment I've made in all my hunting gear. My next will be the Leica 12x50 Ultravid HD.

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
I hope your right Ray cuz I just used my gift cards at c$Bel#'s   :scared: . I do own the 10x42 El's, just to much glass for Ohio woods.

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
For close range stickbow hunting where you need to pick apart the woods with binoculars, you'd be hard pressed to find much better than the Leuopold Katmai 6x30 binos. You will have plenty of resolution for the hours you'd be loosing arrows on game and you'll greatly appreciate not only the wide field of view, but also the greater depth of focus. Higher magnification binoculars used to pick apart the woods while stickbow hunting will have a shallower depth of field within focus, whereas the Katmai will have a greater depth of sharp focus making it far easier to pick out a game animal from cover.

I save the higher magnification binos for glassing large open areas especially during times of low light, but I prefer the lower magnification binos for close range stickbow work when picking apart cover.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »
Most top class binos work well for the average hunter,but if you spend hours glassing and maybe you arein the rain fog etc. well you need something really adeguate. Swarosky,Leica and Zeiss provvide you that extra performances. It could be nice to have them in 5or6X power for hunting the woodlots
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©