3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: UPDATE page 2 - Carbon Express Advice Needed to Tweak My Setup  (Read 573 times)

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
UPDATE page 2 - Carbon Express Advice Needed to Tweak My Setup
« on: December 24, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
So I'm getting ready to order new arrows and I'm wondering if I might not need to tweak some specifications.  This arrow tuning stuff is not my strong point, I just shoot arrows toward that spot.  Right now I wouldn't say my arrows "fly like darts."  I can hit the mark, however, I often see some sideways movement about 15 yards from me before it hits the target.  I don't have the patience or the tools (cutter etc.) to do all that bare shaft tuning stuff.  I just want to shoot arrows toward that spot! let me tell you what I'm currently using and those of you that understand this stuff can give me some guidance.

I'm shooting a 62" Tomahawk Longbow, 50# at 28".  My draw is 28.5"  I'm currently using Carbon Express Heritage 150's cut to 29.5 with 50 grain inserts and 150 grain points.  I use 3-5" shield cut feathers left helical.  I don't use a cap wrap, but I will on these new arrows.  I shoot a tab, split finger.

What are your thoughts and suggestions.  Is there some way I can improve this setup?  Thanks and Merry Christmas,
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: UPDATE page 2 - Carbon Express Advice Needed to Tweak My Setup
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »
I'd say you are very close. Might need a little more weight on the tip.
John

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
Maybe go with a 100 grain insert?
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
I agree, your set up sounds very reasonable.  Some minor tweaking of point weight, nock point or brace height is probably all you need to finish dialing those in.

If you don't want to mess with bare shafting, you can accomplish much the same thing by shooting broadhead arrows against field point arrows and adjust accordingly.  I use the biggest broadheads I can for tuning.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
Explain what you mean by "broadhead arrows against field point arrows and adjusting accordingly".

I shoot 145 grain field points with 5 grain washers and 150 grain Woodsman broadheads.  They appear to shoot identical.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline pooahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
The cx spine chart online shows that at 30" you can use the 250's all the way down to 40lbs, and that's not adjusted for it being a longbow.  Yes, the charts usually run stiff, but check it out anyway. Depending on how deep your shelf is cut, you might actually be on the weak side.

http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/techarrowselect.html

Drawing an inch short and watching your arrow flight should tell you if it's weak.  Or, replace some of your 150 points with 100's and see. Not much trouble to try it, and if flight gets worse then you know to go the other way.

Offline Toxophilite

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
I agree that your setup is probably just about where you need to be. The wraps may stiffen your spine a little. If you like your arrows cut to 29.5", try the front weight tweaks already mentioned. If the "waggle" your getting 15 yds out is side to side, you might get some results by changing your brace height up or down a little bit at a time, too.
I'm not an expert "tuner" but your setup and arrow selection is really similar to mine. CX 150's with 145gr up front work great for me.
I'm only as good as my first shot.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
J-Kid, it's basically bare shafting but with broadheads and field points instead of bare shafts and fletched shafts.  For example, if your broadheads were consistently left of your field points and you're a right handed shooter, it would be indicating stiff spine.

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
I really appreciate all the help so far!

I have tweaked the brace height and settled in on 7 1/4".  I can draw an inch or so short and see what happens with my arrow flight.  I can also bare shaft some broadheads and field points to see where they hit in relation to each other.  I'll try to do these two things tomorrow and post the results on here for further guidance.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
Love your book! I don't have alot of experience tuning, but it's probably not a good idea to shoot bare shafts with broadheads from what I've read. Shooting fletched shafts with broadheads and fletched shafts with field points can tell you if your too stiff or weak, though.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »
WHOA, you misunderstood me.   :help:  

You shoot FLETCHED arrows, both broadhead and field point arrows.  This accomplishes much the same thing as shooting flectched field points against bare shaft field points.

Don't ever shoot bare shaft broadheads unless you want to learn the definition of "wild weasel".    :eek:    Seriously wild flying sharp thingies aren't good.  Sorry I didn't make that clear.  Honestly from what you describe that doesn't sound like your problem anyway, I just threw that out there since you said you didn't want to bare shaft.  It can be a very useful tool if your arrows are already all fletched up.   :thumbsup:

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 07:22:00 AM »
Probably need more point weight in my experience.  I don't think those Tomahawks are cut to center.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
So how's this idea?  I can get a Carbon Express Heritage Test Kit with 2 each, 150, 250 & 350.  The a field point test kit that includes 100 - 250 grain field points.  I'll have them cut to 29.5" (or should I do 30").  What is the standard length?  I'll wrap and fletch the 150's and 250's, set up a new string (it's time to change) with normal brace height, nock point and silencers.  Then I'll shoot a variety of point weights till I find the best arrow flight and accuracy.  Is this going to be $60.00 well spent?  (Since I'll be using wraps they can be peeled off and I can probable sell the test set-up or loan them out as needed.)

One problem.  Right now I'm shooting 150's at 29.5 with 50 grain inserts and 150 grain points (200 grains total).  With the test kit I'll only be able to increase this to 250 grains up front.  If I need a weaker spine I won't be able to test it beyond adding the 50 grains.

I think I'll do whatever is necessary, within reason, to get it right this time.  I'm certain it will be worth it in the long run.

Advice Please.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 07:50:00 AM »
By the way, I have a bare shaft so I'm going out later today to shoot the bare shaft then a fletched arrow, over and over again, to see if there is a pattern.  I guess that might give us some insights.  I appreciate everyone's help on this matter.  Got to go now, I've got four daughters (and a son in law) looking for Santa!
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
Like others have said, it's a reasonable set up. But I would say baresahfting is the best way. Having said that Let me tell you my setup.

Lonewolf Kayapo recurve 46#@29 62". arrows are CE 150 29.5" long. I have a total of 175 up front with the same fletch as you. I have bareshafted this setup to the T, and have these things flying like darts bareshaft out to 26 yards, after that, i get a little tweak to the side. Anyway I know that Many bows shoot different but your setup is close, depending on how fast your bow shoots you may want to concider going down in tip weight. Anyway good luck.

P.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Offline danseitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
Don't waste your money fooling with 350s.  They are waaaaaaaay toooooo stiff.  I believe 250s might work if you loaded up the point weight, but they are stiff for your setup.

I would remove some of the point weight (50 grns) and try the 150s you have.  You may be a little weak on the spine with your current setup.  Taking some of the weight off the point might just do it.  I agree with the others who believe you to be close to having it right.

Oh, if you are the Jay Kidwell who wrote the book, Instinctive Archery Insights, I want to thank you for opening up traditional archery for me.
No matter how tough the cut of meat, you can always stick your fork in the gravy.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
I think you should try the CX 90's with that set up myself, my experience has ALWAYS been that the weaker shafts shoot better when fletched. I'm shooting them out of a 53# shafer and they shoot well uh like arrows  :)  Merry Christmas

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »
Well I just shot 40 arrows.  20 fletched and 20 bare shaft.
Results:  The fletched arrows and the bare shafts grouped within a  5" circle around the bullseye at 20 yards and 75% were within a 3.5".  There was no discernible difference or pattern that I observed with the fletched or bare shafts.  For a while there I was thinking the bare shafts were actually flying better but I might just have been impressed with how they flew so well.

So, what does this tell us?  I don't know.  What happens if I put cap wraps on like I want to with the next batch?  I think I'm close, just not sure I'm quite there.

I could omit the 50 grain inserts on the next batch to lighten up the front end.

Daniel, Thank you for the thank you.  If you ever need any shooting help (not arrow help) I'm just an email away.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by J-KID:
Well I just shot 40 arrows.  20 fletched and 20 bare shaft.
Results:  The fletched arrows and the bare shafts grouped within a  5" circle around the bullseye at 20 yards and 75% were within a 3.5".  There was no discernible difference or pattern that I observed with the fletched or bare shafts.  For a while there I was thinking the bare shafts were actually flying better but I might just have been impressed with how they flew so well.

So, what does this tell us?  I don't know.  What happens if I put cap wraps on like I want to with the next batch?  I think I'm close, just not sure I'm quite there.

I don't think I'd do much with it at this point. Unless you know you can shoot way better than that, it sounds like your spine is not an issue. Are you shooting with the bow vertical? If not, you can sometimes misread a nock point problem as a spine problem. If you are still getting the wag with a vertical bow, it could be spine or it could be string torque. There are a number of variables at work when you release an arrow. Spine is just one of them. Cap wraps may stiffen your arrows a bit. You may want to experiment with the tip weight with your wraps vs without.

In my experience, Woodsman broadheads don't fly enough different from field points to work for tuning. A wide two blade would be better for tuning. If the wide blade groups with the field points, the Woodsman will too.

Carbon arrows are kind of funky to tune, for me anyway. They seem to be extremely sensitive to length, leading to plenty of frustration on my part. If you want to be 29.5", I'd bet 250's are going to be too stiff for your setup. I'd have to load up the front-end pretty heavy, which is not necessarily bad but can lead to heavier overall weight than you may want. I like heavy arrows, so I don't mind.

Good luck. Tuning in the off season is kind of fun anyway.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Santiam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
I think with a center shot recurve,you are right about where you need to be...But you are shooting a longbow...I think the slight side to side movement is shaft contact with the riser,just slightly...

I think you are to stiff...I would bet that 100 gr inserts will just about solve the problem...

I like arrow tuning threads and watch them with great interest...
Good Arrow Flight   >>>-------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©