3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just killed a weird acting racoon with my bow  (Read 593 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Just killed a weird acting racoon with my bow
« on: December 25, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
I went to let my dog out and he came face to face with a racoon. It wouldn't run, just brisled up and growled. I got the dog away from him and we went inside. I looked outside and the racoon was just kinda standing there swaying back and forth. It didn't leave so I went outside to scare it off. It saw me and still wouldn't leave, acted like it wanted to go in his doghouse.

I went back inside and got my bow because he seemed like he might be sick. I can't discharge a gun in our subdivision which is why I went with the bow. We back up to several large farms though and see animals often.

Anyway, he was still there and still acting very oddly so I shot him through the vitals. He started to roll around and growl. I waited util he got stil and put one in his head.

So now I have this dead racoon. I could throw him in a plastic bag, but the trash won't be here for a week.  I guess I could haul him to a dumpster? Or, I could also just throw him out in the field for the coyotes and crows. I'm not sure if I should do that since he seemed sick.

Should I throw out my arrows I shot him with since he might have been carrying a disease?

Thanks,
Charlie

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just killed a weird acting racoon with my bow
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
Call the DNR or County Health Dept(maybe Sheriff). If it is rabid they will want the body to test. Let them tell you what to do with the arrows.     pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »
Nope wash off the arrows with some warm water and maybe a hint of bleach, handle them with a little care is all. The coon I would throw him out to the wilds. He would of died out there fairly soon anyway if he had rabies or distemper. Shawn
Shawn

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
distemper

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
I'm with Pat. DNR always want to keep track of these type of things.
Merry Christmas everyone.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
If  there is any chance that he tangled with your dog test the raccoon!  If he tests negative you're ok.  If he tests positive that is bad news.  Check with a local Vet.  Be sure to keep rabies vacs. current!

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
He might of just been drinking a little to much!!!    :help:   it is Christmass

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
raccoons are susceptible to both canine and feline distemper. It is quite common in the midwest, especially in areas of high coon densities.  In the final stages of the illness, raccoons wander about aimlessly, occasionally going into fits of convulsions and in and out of consiousness. Many almost appear to be tame and have no fear, often appear to be in a drunken stupor.

I ran a nuisance wildlife control business for a number of years. There's always a spike in these cases with the onset of cold weather. Get many calls from people thinking they have found someones "pet" raccoon....some have even picked them up, carried them around  :scared:  

Bury it if possible, or take it far away from your pets. Your pets distemper shots should be kept up to date since ya know its in the area.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
We had a raccoon stumbling around our neighborhood like that. It died soon thereafter. We called the health department and they picked it up and tested it. Never found out what the tests showed.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline STOBBER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
Rubber gloves...double trash bag.....bleach the arrows......(if contacted)watch the dog.....call animal control....keep the coon in acool place away from other animals.
Sounds like distemper but i wouldnt take a chance on rabies.Just my two cents worth , i ran into three different situations like tht last year.
A fox , a bobcat , and a coon all within 1/2 mile radius. Wildlife officers suggested the above instructions, i never heard back from them with the results.
Tim

Online Bill Shepard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
Just a note, if you suspect rabies avoid shooting the animal in the head. They will need the entire brain to test.  At least that's what animal control told me.
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Offline Pruneemac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »
be brave! cook it for Christmas dinner!

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
Pinenut,

The dog wanted to play with the racoon, but they never made contact. Plus his shots are all current so I hope I'm good there. This is the second racoon I've come across in the last 9 months within about a mile and a half of each other that acted this way. I'm going to give  ODNR a call to let them know.

I used gloves and I've bleached everything, but lost a brodhead in his skull. I'm okay on that one if it keeps my animals safe. I also bleached the spots in the yard where he bled.

We will have to see what ODNR has to say.

Thanks fellas,
Charlie

Heck of a way to get your first trad kill, but it had to be done.

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
I shot one a couple years ago in the yard that was acting funny. When I flipped him over I discovered his entire nose, upper and lower "lips" were gone. There was just one giant hole where his nose used to be rather than the normal double nasal cavities. Because the lips were gone it exposed his fangs/teeth. Ugliest thing you ever saw. The face would give anybody nightmares. I put rubber gloves on and took it into the local vets office. Together I think we figured it out. We think the coon got his nose stuck in a foot-hold trap with the jaws locked behind his teeth so he couldn't get free. Then some small evil critter (mink/weasel?) ate his nose and lips off until he broke free. Frankly, the wounds were very clean looking with no apparent infection. I think he might have made it but definitely wouldn't win any beauty contests. I burned my arrow just in case. bw

Offline heartshoth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
i would put it in a bag in a cool place (don't freeze it) and call your local health dept...rule outs are rabies, distemper, antifreeze poisoning or some random other disease...of course rabies is zoonotic and can kill people and pets and is the worse case scenario...they will do the rabies test on a part of the brain and the test is inconclusive a lot of times if it is frozen...good luck and wash everything that came in contact with it in a very soapy solution as previously stated...

heartshot ( and dvm when i'm not bowhunting)
BLACK WIDOW PSR X 2
KEMPF QWYKSTYK  X 2
Zipper SXT

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
I am with pine nut (maybe cuz I am unsure if he is a vet or not...) but since the highest density of rabies carriers are racoons, I'd be safe anyways...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
The rabies virus cannot survive in cold weather. That is why you only see cases in the summer. I would guess distemper. IMHO
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
Be careful that the DNR doesn't charge you if you shot the ctitter out of season or without the proper tags. Might've been best to call them before the shot to get permission? I think I would've done the same thing as you but with time to think a call might save some possible hassles.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »
Thanks Owl,

I checked the regs at ODNR's website and coon is legal. I called ODNR this morning.  I have my hunting permit so hopefully I'm good. I couldn't let that thing wander around too much since I and all my neighbors have cat and dogs.

-Charlie

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
I shot a coon one night about a year ago. it was on our porch and was aggressive. When I got my bow and turned on the porch light to shoot it he headed for our chickens. I growled at him and he came back to "face me down". A Phantom broadhead ended the standoff. I left him there with the arrow in him and called the amimal control person the next day. He had the coon tested and it came back positive for rabies.   He told me to shoot every coon I could since there was a spike in rabies in all kinds of critters. I had to handle the arrow caeefully and cleaned it up with soap, water and bleach.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©