3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: advice on gps  (Read 514 times)

Offline manny718

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Beauty is the making one of opposites.
advice on gps
« on: December 25, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »
Hey guys, a while back I read something about GPS's.....  Got some Christmas money and want to buy one.  I'm looking at the Garmen Etex, just wondering which one you suggest.  Any thoughts??
Beauty is the making one of opposites.

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: advice on gps
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
Buy a good compass and learn to use it.  

As far as the gps goes it really depends on what you are using it for.  Just to find the truck in the dark and mark stands, then almost any of the lower priced models will work.  Garmin Etrex is easy to use and has all of the minimum things you need.  Some of the cheaper models the compass doesn't point in the correct direction unless you are moving, they don't have color maps or you can't expand the memory to load larger mapping.  Some have a radio built in and some have better battery life.  Give a little information on what you expect from it and I bet you will get some good responses from the folks here..

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
I have an older etrex but my favorite is the 60csx.
if money allows go with one that takes a micro card for extra storage and has auto route capabilities if you are planing on getting the map sets to download onto the unit.  When I travel I load topos of the area I will be wandering around in and the road maps from home to location. You can switch between the two.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline manny718

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  Basically I just want a GPS to get back to my truck in the dark.  Don't want to use it for maps.  Just for wondering.  Again, thanks for the information.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
+1 on the 60CSX.  I had an Etrex Vista, but you need one of the new X models to make those worth your time.  The 60CSX is the way to go.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
Find one with an electronic compass!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by manny718:
Thanks guys.  Basically I just want a GPS to get back to my truck in the dark.  Don't want to use it for maps.  Just for wondering.  Again, thanks for the information.
I used to use mine for that... but i had a couple waypoints marked truck and didn't realize at first and had a few LONG WALKS!!! I am a compass type of guy these days... Works great if you learn to use an escape azimuth..

However, for about the third of the price there's a new GPS thingamabob, that you fire up and mark the truck then when you get to the stand, hunt and want to head back, you push the other button and it leads you to the truck... Thinking bout that one... Especially since I left the compass in the back pack and spent two hrs after missing the dirt road in the dark and then coming out on the paved road and choosing to walk a mile back down the road to loop around to the truck in the rain ...

All the bigbox huntig stores are advertising it these days... can't member the name right now though...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline wharvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »
As was said, for your use any of the simple ones will work. I have a Garmin  72 that I bought several years ago to use as a speedometer on my old motorcycle broke. A bunch cheaper. ( I did finally replace the speedometer unit).  I now use it for just that purpose, mostly on over cast days. As long as I can see the sky, day or night, I can generally find my way back.

It did save my daughter from getting lost on her first outing alone. Got turned around so she turned on the GPS. The truck parking spot was marked and she discovered she was going the wrong way.

Only problem with mine is that the small internal antenna has a bit of trouble getting a satellite lock in really heavy tree cover. I'd check reviews on that account.  I don't need road mapping as I've never had much trouble following maps.

After you get yours check out geocaching. It is a great way to learn how to use you gps for navigation and also a lot of fun.
Bill

Martin Howatt Hunter 35#@28"
Martin Hatfield 55#@28"
Grey Ghost 40#@28"

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »
I would buy a unit with a high sensitive antenna and a electronic compass to get true readings when standing still. I know this first hand. My GPS is almost useless when under tree cover. If if can't lock on the satellites, it's a paperweight. Make sure you always carry a compass and learn how to properly use it.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline greenhed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 12:13:00 AM »
They are great for marking spots that you find that you want to return too as well.  I have had the Etrex Vista, and now have the Rhino 120.  I got the 120 for the handheld radio capability.  Wasn't worth the extra $$.  Get ine with a compas and mapping capability, even if you dont think you need it now.  The map overlay is awesome when trying to find that elusive "shortcut".

As all have said, make sure you are competent with your compass. Batteries die, signals can become weak, etc....
"Do justly, love Mercy, walk Humbly"

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 12:20:00 AM »
Don't have much use for them personally. My father in law gave the wife one a few years back and it never seems to work right. In allot of the areas around me I can't get a satellite signal at all, seems a compass is still a better tool.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 12:23:00 AM »
I would go to the Garmin website and compare some of the units in your price range. I think you will be surprised to see that some of the less expensive units do exactly the same thing the more expensive ones do.

Next whatever you buy make sure it is an HCx model.

Lastly I would wait...Garmin is more than likely to come out with something new or upgraded this summer and you can grab up the older models at an extremely reduced price or buy a newer one.

Offline manny718

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 04:24:00 AM »
as aways,everone hear is great.i do use a compass.want to try the whole gps thing there is so much i read it seems to be 50 50 on the pros and cons.i think im going for the garmim legend HCx

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »
I have a Etrex and it's great for the money and to get you from point A to B.The only thing I don't like about is that when you create a "landmark" the Etrex will not tell you the time or date that the landmark was created. That's something I would look for if I bought another unit.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
No matter what model you select attach a compass to the lanyard. I also suggest you.

practice with the unit some prior to getting way off the beaten path with it.  

find a place in your pack for extra batteries.

Figure out what overhead coverage knocks out the satellite reception. Dense wood forest cover can play havoc with some of the units.

If unit has electronic compass make sure to recalibrate every time you change batteries.

Good luck
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by roknjs:
+1 on the 60CSX.  I had an Etrex Vista, but you need one of the new X models to make those worth your time.  The 60CSX is the way to go.
Ditto. The 60CSx is far superior than my previous Vista for picking up a signal in deep cover-which is where I hunt and most likely when I will really need it! Worth the extra money not to have to look for a clearing in the dark to get a reading after you've found your deer. That being said, I always use a compass too!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
I have the Etrex Legend HCX and love it.  I always liked my Etrex Legend, and went with the HCX model since I was used to the controls already, but got the color screen and High sensitivity antennae with this model.  Works just as well as my old one, but is better at picking up signals...Mike

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »
One more for the 60csx. It has the compass and the super sensitive antenna that recieves under just about any canopy.

John

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
Up north our bush is big, we use gps units alot. The new Garmin Vista HCX is one heck of a unit for the $$$. I'm on my 4th GPS and the new Vista is by far the best I've used. No canopy issues at all it works perfectly in my basement and under any heavy tree cover. Garmin's website has a compare units feature which is a big help if your comparing units.
hunt it

Offline manny718

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
just,ordered the garmin vista hcx,thanks for all replys

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©