3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I Have a Question......a few to follow(more ?? pgs. 4,6,7)and final question pg. 9  (Read 2553 times)

Offline novahunterpa

• Trad Bowhunter
I see more back, funny we were taklikin about this tonight, watchin some hunting movies we got for christmas, and a few TV shows, even the guy's that shoot wheel's seem to hit far back most of the time, One show we saw, the archers are target shooting and dead on, seemed every deer that they shot except for one was far back.  Guess it proves once again target shootin ant  the same as hunting,  I think alot of it is from not wanting to hit "bone" up front so we hunters tend to wander the shot back, I think we do it unconsciously most the time.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
To far back, unless it is on TV as has been mentioned then it is way back "ooh we hit that one good"    :rolleyes:  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Definitely back.  Mostly comes from not picking a spot and shooting for the animal only.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm a crease shooter.I think the 3D target has made this of me so 4 me foward.As for a whole.When there is a hit.To far back.A miss.To high

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
ok here is what has happened to me every time I've shot at a deer. Too high or too low resulting in clean misses. The shots were always lined up perfect with the vitals but go too high or too low.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
On pigs back.I shoot for the crease on deer and actually look at the white hairs under the heart.When I aim at lungs I shoot high.Thats why I shoot big broadheads. I never miss forward so why not shoot a huge head in case I miss back where penetration is not an issue.Redneck logic?RC

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
a little to far back

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
a little far back, lot far back... definately back.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
The way Guru posted it..."are more hit?" I'd say "back".

On the other hand...using Killie's analogy... watchin guys shoot for score on 3d targets... the 12 is always a bit "high" for my comfort.

I was taught to shoot that crease..low to the heart...so if they do drop on me, I still get center of lung...

I just can't permit myself to shoot for a 3D 12 for fear, just like Killy said,...I might do that when it comes to game... and I want that low shot to avoid all the times a deer dropped and I watched feathers fold up going over their back!   :banghead:    :mad:  

I feel like if I didn't aim for the crease, I'd never hit a deer!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
back, thats why I like the shot to be 1/4 away. It takes that to far back and turns it into meat in the cooler.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Too far back. Probably failure to pick a spot and shooting at center of mass. I think it happens to all of us at sometime.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
My worst hits are usually right in the shoulder.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Back.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
Back
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
OK.....So according to my question, it seems we are in 100 percent agreement that the over whelming majority of hits that aren't where we want them are "a little/too far back".....that's exactly my finding as well after 30yrs behind the bow.....Ok cool....

So if we're hitting "too far back", then penetration shouldn't be an issue, after all this is a soft tissue area right.

Now my next question:

So then, the "worse case scenario" we should be preparing for is massive tissue damage since we're getting back toward the liver/paunch(soft tissue)area with the overwhelming majority of our "not so perfect hits"..........yes/no?  

Please post an answer.....thanx
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
Yes/No, I prepare for both type shots! I want a razor sharp head on my arrow that will bust as much bone if needed and cut everything in its path and then some!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Joseph:
To far back, unless it is on TV as has been mentioned then it is way back "ooh we hit that one good"     :rolleyes:   Joseph
Aint that the truth?
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Yes Curt...a tad back, and yes to more damage by wider or multi blade heads.....Good thread my man....sharpening my 4 blades for TX as we speak.    :D   You can't buy a guaranteed shoulder pass through with any head, but you can pass through the rest for free all day long at a MUCH higher percentage.

Wonder if the question was turned on yourself on those 'too far back' shots...would YOU rather be shot with a 7/8ths wide head....or a 160 Snuffer?  Which one would you more likely have a chance to survive?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
No.  Recovering an animal hit too far back has nothing to do with broadhead choice and everything to do with how you follow up the animal. You can't create the kind of massive tissue damage needed to make a difference with a broadhead. Virtually any bow and arrow combo will penetrate completely through and leave very little blood.  The deer will be dead.  Whether you find the deer depends on your determination and ability.  

Everyone fears the shoulder hit because there is no penetration.  Without penetration nothing vital is hit.  A shoulder hit animal is gone. It doesn't matter how long you wait, the two inches of penetration simply didn't reach anything vital.

Perhaps if their set up were more capable of achieving penetration on heavy bone, folks wouldn't be so apt to shoot far back to avoid the shoulder.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Curt, I see where this is going (160 grain Snuffers?) and tend to agree. I've thought about this as I've gone through the Ashby stuff.

I would rather have my arrow stop after 2 inches of penetration on a bad shot into the shoulder blade and have an animnal live, than gut shoot something and have it die a long, protracted death with no recovery.

The quandry is that the best broadside shot will still take you through ribs on both sides, and sheilds on bigger hogs. Therefore you can't totally disregard penetration (and use a mechanical for example). I've pretty much settled on Stinger 4 blades as the best compromise.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©