3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Red Wing Hunter (Info)  (Read 3105 times)

Offline toot

• Trad Bowhunter
Red Wing Hunter (Info)
« on: December 26, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
I am told that Red Wing bows are an early Bob Lee bow.  Is this correct??

Anything else you can tell me??

Thanks, Toot

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Red Wing Hunter (Info)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »
Yes bob Lee started Wing Archery in the early 60's I believe and sold to another co. in the late 60's and then had others owners.Most Wing bows were of good quality and shot well.Bob and Rob(son) started Bob Lee Archery b/c they did not own the rights to Wing Archery anymore but that has now changed.A lot of their current bows show and have the old Wing bows design and looks.TBM did an aricle on Bob Lee and Wing a couple years ago.Kip

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
What kind of price will they bring? I have a Red Wing hunter in very good condition.  According to the old gentleman I got from, he bought it new in 1959, got a shot at a deer, which he missed. It then remained under his bed until I got it @ 3years ago. It came with a quiver and several fiberglass arrows. I paid $175.00 for the items.  I'm wondering if that was a bit high, but he was elderly and in bad health, so I certainly don't regret paying it. Just wondering what to ask for it if I decide to sell it.
Sam

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
Most Red Wing Hunters I've seen go for about $100 to $200 on the auction site, with the older bows (of your vintage)in good condition drawing the highest dollar.

Offline toot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
Any of you ever hear of a ""Red Wing Hunter II""

Toot

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
I gave my daughter a Red Wing Hunter 58" 40# @28 with R-7489, any idea when it was made? Apears to be made of rosewood and is in good shape. This bow costed me $110, (got a good price because I bought three bows at one time)

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »
Bob sold out to Head Ski Company and then they later sold out to AMF. Should be a decal mentioning one of them.The Lee and Head Ski are the better ones IMO. The AMF is OK but most want the two earleier especially the one's Bob made.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Flinttim:
Bob sold out to Head Ski Company and then they later sold out to AMF. Should be a decal mentioning one of them.The Lee and Head Ski are the better ones IMO. The AMF is OK but most want the two earleier especially the one's Bob made.
Yes, the pre-AMF are more desired.  I have an AMF and I'll say this about it.  My three favorite go-to bows are; Bear Custom TD 56", Pittsley Predator 60" and AMF Red Wing Hunter 58".  All three of those bows shoot exactly the same for me, using the same arrows out of the three of them.  I have other bows of the same weight but they all shoot different than those three.
I think the AMF Red Wing Hunter is still a great bow and a great buy for around $100-$200 depending on condition.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline toot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
O.K.  That helped alot..

I was bidding on one on ****..

toot

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
Bob, I had a Head Ski RW Hunter and liked it a lot. I have no idea what the difference ,if any, would be from a Head to an AMF. Don't now if they cheapened them somehow or what.Mine was a 45# and I sold it to a friend that lusted after it once he saw it. But he's a good guy and gave it a good home. BUT, if it had been a 55#... well.....
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline toot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
Oh, I see I must have said a bad word..

I know now..

Toot

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Flinttim:
That is correct. I have a Wing Falcon in excellent condition. On the limb it says "Wing Archery Div. of Head Ski Co. Inc."
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
The tips on the original Wings were smaller and the bows a little quicker. The AMFs had a few not do so well, but by now most of those bows have been in the landfills for a few decades. The ones that have survived to now are ok even from them, though the originals and Head Skis will get you more dollar and are nicer finished in most cases.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 12:35:00 AM »
Toot;

A Red Wing Hunter II is a bow made in Korea when the guy from New Jersey owned Wing Archery. It is nothing like the Wing bows of Bob Lee, Head Ski nor AMF. There are a lot better bows to buy than that Red Wing Hunter II on the auction site.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline toot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 02:40:00 AM »
Boy.. That's really good news, because I didn't win..

YIPPEEE!!!!!!!

Thank You.

Toot

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
Speaking of the Red Wing Hunters!! How about a little old and a little new. Both 50#@28". The original is a 58" bow and the new a 60". The geometry really hasn't changed. Both are great shooters. The original is in excellent condition.

The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
Anyone know what year they sold out. The one I bought says only Red Wing Hunter by Wing archery Co. These are great shooting bows, smooth and acurate!!

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
ductape;

What is the serial number?
does it start with RA or RW? RW would be 1965-7 and RA would be 1867-9.
>>>>============>

>>>>============>

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »
Kelly

the serial munber is R-7489 there is no W or A after the  R. Thanks

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
Your's is an original Red Wing Hunter made by Bob Lee when the company was in Houston, TX. My guess from your 4 digit serial number is yours was made in 1963 or 64. That is Brazilian rosewood in your handle. Also, the 58" length of your Red Wing Hunter is pre-AMO 58" so is actually equivelant to a 57" AMO. String length needed for this one is about 1" shorter than the Red Wing Hunters of Head Ski/AMF production, which were all 58" AMO.

Bob sold the company to Head Ski middle of 1967 like June or July. Earlier that year they moved the plant to Jacksonville, TX in order to get ready for the ownership transfer to Head Ski.
>>>>============>

>>>>============>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©