3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Weight  (Read 597 times)

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Weight
« on: December 26, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
Ok, I've been putting some serious thought into lowering my arrow weight. Now it's around 640grns. I'm thinking, if I lighten up, will I cut down on cast enough to give me more shots. I paid big this season for having to have that big area for 25yd shots. Just couldn't shoot at a couple nice ones!
  I'm thinking around 500grns, AXIS with Razor Caps or Woodsmans. What do you think or am I going to take a beating on this one.
  Does anyone shoot that type of set up?

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Arrow Weight
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
What weight bow are you shooting?  Lightening the arrow weight will improve/increase the cast, not cut down on it.  I.e., it will make your arrow shoot flatter.  I think that's what you meant to say.  Regardless, depending on the weight of your bow, there may or may not be a big difference in cast at 25 yards.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 06:44:00 AM »
Yes that's exactly what I'm looking for a flatter faster arrow. Not for accuracy but for efficiency. I'm sure what I loose in weight I gain in speed. Close to matching the KE, but loosing momentum. That's why I'm going to a smaller head.
 I was at a local archery shop and happen to run my bow through the Crony. They all had a good laugh when 164 popped up. I said lets run your latest and greatest Mathews through with my arrow. I just happen to notice the bow they were about to use shot through at 307. When they shot that 642 grn arrow through the bow dropped to 221, they were stunned. I just said well I guess with your arrow I'm shooting 240! Not that I would ever shoot a arrow that light but it's all relative. Thank you for your info.

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
Mike
Most of the guys I shoot with are going the other way and shooting as much weight as the bow will handle.  One of the guys (good hunter too) is amping up his bow weight as well so that he can shoot a very heavy arrow with great FOC.  If you don't like your speed you may want to look at the bow and if you have the budget, get something new. Just my .02
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
:campfire:  
Hope info helps you in making the choice. I shoot Easton XX75 GG 500's. I use 5" feathers and 150 gr MAGNUS STINGER 4 BLADE and or the WOODSMAN 150 gr. I use this arrow for practice and hunting and within the last 2 seasons I was able to put 5 deer in my freezer.
I shoot a 47# Martin custom made HUNTER and a Bob Lee 49# HUNTER T/D. I also use them when I shoot my MARTIN HUNTER 54# BOW.
I get from 165 fps w/31#'s K.E out to 180 fps w/37#'s K.E. I get great arrow flight and all 5 deer were double lung pass thru's. All 5 deer were taken under 20 yards from the ground.
My arrows weigh 515 grs and are 30.75"s from insert to end of nock.
IMHO, A heavier arrow works great for me and has better penetration down range.
Don't forget SHOT PLACEMENT. It doesn't matter what we use if we can't put that arrow where it belongs.

Hope the info helps.
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
Reducing arrow weight on this forum????

Blasphemer!

Sorry Mike, prepare for the flogging.   :smileystooges:

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
No flogging, I just can't grasp the logic?

"Not for accuracy but for efficiency. I'm sure what I loose in weight I gain in speed. Close to matching the KE, but loosing momentum. That's why I'm going to a smaller head.

The only thing gained is slightly lower trajectory. Your bow at 165 will penetrate as well or better then an arrow doing 300 with twice the KE. It's not how much horsepower you have, it's how fast you use it that determines how much work it can do. The whole reason we have "low gears" in our trucks!  :) ....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline crookedwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
I try to stay at 9 to 10 grains per pound of pull or draw weight.Seems to give you the best of both worlds.spine is also important in that mix.it helps to absorb all of bows energy.good luck finding the perfect arrow weight for your bow and you.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
I don't think mike was trying to compare KE.  I think because of the exagerated arch of his setup he needs a big window to shoot through and had to pass some opportunities this year.  I think he is looking at a lighter arrow to  shrink the arch some and be able to shoot through tighter windows in the brush.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by wapitimike1:
I'm thinking around 500grns, AXIS with Razor Caps or Woodsmans. What do you think or am I going to take a beating on this one.
  Does anyone shoot that type of set up?
I don't know your draw weight, and I've never shot a 640-grain out of any of my hunting bows to get a speed comparison. But for the sake of discussion: the arrow I shot through my bull moose weighed 499 grains and was tipped with a 20-grain insert and a 125-grain Ace Standard.

The last year I shot Woodsmans (2003) they were on 475-arrows tipped with the same 20-grain inserts. With that setup, I had no problem shooting through whitetails, including one that field dressed over 200 pounds.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
I'm not gonna beat anybody up here..... But isn't bow hunting a close range type thing anyway? Even closer with Trad Gear? So the game was more than 25 yards away. Why are ya gonna change what took so long to learn? I mean your bow/arrow combo just to get a few more yards out of it.

Try not to confuse the 3D range with hunting. Forget all you knew about wheelie bows. Again, I'm not giving you the third degree. Maybe I'm tellin'... Reminding myself about all the shots I didn't take cause I felt at the time (they) were too far. Hey! That's Hunting!

... mike ...   ;)   ...

All my bows are 48# to 51# at my 26" draw. Arrows weigh in at 475gr to 525gr for target and hunting stuff. Works for me.
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
It's not so much long shots it's tight shots. I film most of my hunting and I have a 160 at 25yds, twice! Both times a few twigs robbed me of the shot. Now I tried a few things today and I went with Fred Es AXIS and a 150 head at 29"s. I shoot about 56#s, it tuned perfect and dropped my arch by close to 10-12"s or so out at 30yds.    
  Early seasons a stickler. I'm not a trim out every thing in the woods guy. I had a few nice shooters I just couldn't sneak one at. I like shooting the heavy arrow and I understand momentum, but at what price? I did the KE and it's nill. I loose the momentum, but I gained 38fps to decrease the arch.
  I'm going to try it this coming month and see if it pays. It's been two seasons I've been robbed cause of that arch and it's time to change up. My arrow dropped to 498grns, I know, I know I'm prepared for the keal hualing. Thanks!

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »
25 to 30 yds is not a long hunting shot - but it is not one I would take with a 165fps setup.
There is a huge difference for me shooting 15 yds and out at unknown distances in my vertical accuracy going from 165 to the 190 to 195fps. Been shooting this range (190) for 6 years now for hunting, 3d and indoor target - 4 deer this year - 3 pass thrus and one stopped on the off leg. 53lb bow - 425 gr arrow.

Steve

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
If you go rifle hunting why to use a 300Mag.for a deer? 240 is plenty. Most of you gays are hunting deer not Elephant,Rhino or Buffalo. At 25 ys a500 grs. arrow is still a killer and adeguate. Otherwise what about woman ad child set ups?
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »
If you were at 164 fps and you picked up 38 fps, you're now at 202 fps with a 498-grain arrow. My moose arrow weighed 499 grains, but was going slower than 202 fps (194 to be exact).

Yeah, you've got more than enough for whitetails.   ;)

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
If a woman/child was shooting a 40# bow you would say a 450 grain arrow would be enough, but if it is a 50# you say the same arrow is not enough, what gives ? I use a 480 grain arrow out of a 53# bow and stick it in the ground on the other side of the deer. What matters on whitetails is where you place the arrow, that said a reasonably lighter/ fine tuned arrow will do the job well.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline wsm coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
Jack, what you say makes more sense to me than 90% of the responses I hear to similar questions on several archery forums.

If a 450 grain arrow from a 45# bow traveling 170fps is enough, than that same arrow from a 60# bow running the same speed or faster is still enough!  It didn't become less effective because it was shot from a heavier bow.

The deer don't know the difference, just that if the shot goes where it supposed too...it's gonna die.

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
I cant shoot alight arrow I"m allways  high, my brain and sight picture is programed for 165-170fps with heavy arrows from 15to 50yrds. it does not matter.
The older I get the better I was

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
Elk W, That plays in with my book. I have to "relearn" making big changes in speed.

WSM,
"If a 450 grain arrow from a 45# bow traveling 170fps is enough, than that same arrow from a 60# bow running the same speed or faster is still enough! It didn't become less effective because it was shot from a heavier bow."

You are correct...But....You are wasting a LOT of potential from the 60# bow. If both used arrow weights so they are shooting the same speed, the increase in work potential is fairly linear. The 60# should have 25% more horsepower but going with a lighter arrow (gr/lb) at a higher velocity you'll only see maybe 10% of it. Why shoot a 60# bow and get 50# worth of work out of it?  The good thing about our "average" 50-60# bows, we have enough extra power to make poor choices and still be successful on deer sized critters....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline wsm coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 12:44:00 AM »
I agree with that 100% Mr. Adcock.
  I like arrows over 10 gpp myself.
 My point is, that it, (the arrow) doesn't loose any killing ability because it was shot from a heavier bow providing it's tuned properly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©