3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best climber for trad hunting?  (Read 766 times)

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
Best climber for trad hunting?
« on: December 27, 2008, 01:11:00 AM »
Been thinking of adding a climber to my collection.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best climber for trad hunting?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 01:59:00 AM »
I have been using a Lone Wolf Sit and Climb for a couple years and really like it. My dad is using a Summit Razor and I have and at times still use a Summit broadhead backpacker which are both quality stands.

Offline Ghostman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 05:50:00 AM »
I hunt 95% of the time with a climber and have 6 climbers in my garage made by Summit, API & Lone Wolf.

IMO nothing beats a Lone Wolf hand climber model. It's not the most comfortable climber I have but it beats the others in portability and quietness. The best feature I like is it doesn't have any parts to interfere with shooting.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 06:52:00 AM »
I have the Summit Viper. This is a quality product and I am able to shoot my 60” bow out of it. This stand does have a bar across the front but I haven’t found it to be a problem. The seat is an all day kind of seat…very comfortable. The stand is aluminum so it’s not too heavy but it is a little bulky when traveling through the timber.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 06:57:00 AM »
I'd have to say you have the best already Lone Wolf. I to have a fleet of climbers. Summit, Lone wolf, Non Typical. I took what was called the Summit Clear Shot and welded a sit and climb bracket up. It's about as close to a hang on as it gets, but it's bulky and noisey compared to my Alfa Wolf. I think the Alfa Wolf is the best. I wish I listened to my friend and bought one years ago. Good Luck

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 08:08:00 AM »
I've got a Lone Wolf Sit-n-Climb which has been the best for me hands down.  I tried a hand climber top earlier this year, and it was defnintely great for shooting, but going up and down the tree, it left a lot to be desired compared to the sit'n'climb top.  I've also got a Quickee bracket mounted to the seat bar which is a great convenience.  I've never had the sit'n'climb top get in my way.
"And that, my friends, is the minority vote."  -Bill the Butcher

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
The lone wolf hand climber with the optional strap will work like a sit-n-climb and I agree with the above posts. It is the best climber for a traditional bow.
N/A

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »
What fox bo says.  Have been using a hand climber Lone Wolf for a long time, and I'm no spring chicken anymore.  A while back, I fashioned my own belt to go though the hand climber to use it as a sit and climb.  I can get up and down the tree a little faster with the hand climber, a little easier with the sit and climb.  Very quiet with either.  Sit and climb is a little heavier, and some folks find the bar on the seat sometimes gets in the way.  Take your choice. Can't go wrong with a Lone Wolf.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
My wife bought me a vintage Baker Mighty Mite for Christmas.  You think she's trying to tell me something?

J/K I like my Summit for all day sitting, but the front bar is a bit of a pain.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Dawn Patrol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
If I could I would swap all my Lone Wolfs, Summitts and Old Man stands foe API CLIMBERS.
I put the "stink" in instinctive archery!

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
Trapp, Hope your life insurance is paid up.  All the Bakers I've ever seen, were death waiting for the fall!
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
wow trap
did she up the life insurance policy also
i remember those from the early eightys
they were death traps

kevin

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
LOL, I hunted hard outta those things in the 80s.  Lucky to be alive.  Stands have come a long way.

???? for the Lone Wolfers.  Are you saying you take a hand climber and place a strap around the bars to make it a sit and climb?  Anybody have a pic to show how you do it?

Like I said I like my Summit for comfort, but I'd like to lose the bar once I'm up where I want to be.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
Trap -

The folks at Lonewolf offer a thick strap (almost like a towstrap) that hooks on the front edge of the handclimber seat.  This allows you to use the handclimber top like a sit and climb.  I tried it, didn't get very far with it - nothing like a full bar to sit on.   I just use the handclimber top with the old lean and lift.  Sounds silly, but if you put your hands around the toothed belt, tuck your elbows onto the seat and work those abs you can be up the tree before you know it.  

If you like the comfort of the Summit but want a drop bar, the Razor (I think...)has a front drop bar that will swing under your seat and out of the way.  My friend swears by his for comfort.  I like my LW because it packs down so much nicer - he ends up dragging half the woods home with him.

I could nit pick about stands all day, but I love the platform on the LW, but I greatly perfer the climbing arms on my Gorilla stand (a copy of the old man climber arms), they have a much more positive lock around the tree, and with the safety strap tightened there's no way the platform can take off down the tree.  The platform isn't quite as large though...

Give and take I suppose.  Right now I'm using the LW handclimber top with the Gorilla bottom - works well for me.
Support the sport!

Offline B-DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
i bought a summit bushmaster this year. it is a open front. it is a very nice stand. it's made for either bass pro or cabelas, i can't remember. summit makes another that is close to the same but has a smaller bottom piece. i also like the price of $179.00

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
I like a sit and climb. You can use the bar to sit on if you have to shoot behind you.

I'm seriously liking my tree strap better though.   ;)
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline CBH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
I really like my Summit Viper. It is very easy to climb with and comfortable enough to stay in for long hours. I've even napped in it, but I wouldn't recommend it!     :D  
 http://www.summitstands.com/catalog.aspx?catid=viper

Offline cooncrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
yea im with cbh i love my viper the best ive used
walk softly and carry a big stick

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
I'm partial to the API Bowhunter climbers. They're light, solid, comfortable, and you can pick them up used for about a hunderd dollars.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
On thing you might want to consider...the Ol Man climbing treestands let you stand with your back up against the tree.  The net seat slides back out of your way.  It also has a "safety strap" that secures the top and bottom parts of the climber to the tree.  Most climbing stands will not allow you to do this because the seat gets in the way and/or the foot platform tapers next to the tree.  With some climbing treestands I wouldn't recommned this anyway.. it would be a quick way to get down to the ground.  They also make models with a bar that can be positioned up (for a rifle rest) or down (for a foot rest).  You can also leave the bar off for a wide open shot.  They make them in steel and aluminum.  I don't work for them but I'm glad to see them being made again.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©