3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ? about single bevel broadheads  (Read 626 times)

Offline ilarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
? about single bevel broadheads
« on: December 27, 2008, 02:09:00 PM »
I have been doing alot of studying of EFOC by DR. Ashby. I am not trying to do a EFOC set up yet. But What I thought was interesting to me was the penatration of the single bevel BH.

So here is my question,,,,,If I use RW feathers would I use a right bevel BH? or does it really matter if I use Left or a Right Bevel?

I like the idea of useing a single bevel BH, its alot easier to put a super sharp edge on a single bevel than a double bevel edge.

I have been useing double bevel edges for years with my compound set up and have gotten very good at putting a super sharp edge on those BH, But I would like to simplify with my longbow set up. I can get a super sharp edge on a single bevel in about 1/4 the time as a double bevel edge.

Thanks for any help.
Brent
Brent Wolber
IBEP Instructor
I live for ARCHERY!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? about single bevel broadheads
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
From what I know(and that isnt much) the bevel is supposed to match the wing. For example, rw and right bevel. Otherwise they work against eachother, taking away some of the energy.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
Right hand bevel with right wing feathers, left hand bevel with left wing feathers.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
Best results from single blade heads is right wing feathers,right bevel head or vice a versa,left wing feathers,left bevel head! I however shoot left wing fletch and right bevel head off a 61# longbow At my draw, with a finished arrow wt of 680grns, i don't achieve the full potential of the setup,the head is supposed to turn with the fletch! because of my setup i get pass thrus on deer and great blood but I will change to left bevel this year for bear!! I want the best results from my setup as possiable!!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline Jeff U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by ilarcher:

... So here is my question,,,,,If I use RW feathers would I use a right bevel BH? or does it really matter if I use Left or a Right Bevel? ...
The idea is to match the rotation.  

Right wing matches right bevel
Left wing matches left bevel

You will hear that lots of deer have been taken with a right bevel grizzly and left wing fletching so it may not matter that much.

However, feathers are relatively cheap and it is easy to change  fletching so a better question is why not match them up?

left bevel:

right bevel:  

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
The short answer to your question is yes, R bevel with RW feathers.  Ashby's test results indicate this to be the optimal set-up for penetration...along with a heavy FOC.

That said, plenty of folks have been killing lots of critters with "mis-matched" bevel/feather configurations for years (me included). I have always used heavy FOC arrows, however.

If you are hunting thin skinned animals with a well-tuned set-up and have decent shot placement I don't think that it will matter much assuming appropriate bow energy.  If you hit bone, however, every extra measure of projectile efficency is important.  Thus, I personally think that the heavy FOC is more important than aligning the bevel of the BH with the feathers.  Incorporate both elements into your arrows, however, and you might just have an arrow that is as good as it can be!

Hope this helps a bit...

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
Like many archers I used LW feathers with Grizzlies for years before I heard any different.  I had great results on deer, but honestly a properly hit deer is not particularly challenging to most of our tackle.

I now match the fletching to the bevel, because I will always do everything I can to make my set up better.  I can't prove it, but I believe the heads fly a little better when matched up to the fletching as well.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline ilarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »
Thanks everyone,,,,thats what I thought. I just wanted some of your expert opinions.

I am getting back to trad this year, back when I first started shoot I was a recurve shooter but I never got to hunt with it because it was not enough draw weight for IL regs. so I never messed with BH with that set up.
Brent Wolber
IBEP Instructor
I live for ARCHERY!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©